Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Guests with Special Needs Discuss big people problems in the Vacation Planning forums; Are there any rides at WDW that are problems for "Big People"? I remember going to Hersheypark and there were problems in one of the roller coasters.....getting the safety bar ...
    PA. Chris is offline A-Ticket holder

big people problems

Are there any rides at WDW that are problems for "Big People"? I remember going to Hersheypark and there were problems in one of the roller coasters.....getting the safety bar down and locked before the ride started. Are the rides designed better at wdw so that big people fit better ?

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    My husband is Pooh-sized (read 5'10 and 300 lbs) and he can ride EVERYTHING. I have rarely read of anyone having trouble. A couple of hints:

* if you are going on a ride with a seat with arms, place you tush on the edge of the seat and clide backwards, (then you don't have to force your hips down btwn the arms)

* if you are riding with someone smaller than you on bar type restraints (read BTMRR) have them sit similar sizes to similar sizes, I catch some serious air time when I ride with my hubby.

* If the ride has a seatbelt type restraint (like ToT, Soarin' or TT) BEFORE you sit down, reach down and pull the belt all the way out then sit and fasten it.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance! Have a GREAT trip!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder

Cool

I too am about the size of MommytoMJM husband and when we were at Disney Quest the last Christmas break I could not get the shoulder bars to lock down over me so inturn missed the ride . So there may be some problems . Oh by the way I am working on less so when i get my APs i will not miss a thing.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't think about DQ (never been there)
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)

I too was only thinking about MK, EPCOT, MGM, AK, and Blizzard Beach/Typhoon lagoon.

MommytoMjM......will I be ok at all these ?. I am a little taller than your Hubby, but sounds about the same size......

I seem to remember a lot of big people riding all the rides at wdw in the past....but I have put on a lot of weight in the past few years......trying to get it off now.....

What/where is Disney quest ?

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Disney Quest is located on the West Side of Downtown Disney. It's an indoor interactive themepark. Basically, one huge cool arcade. Got someone in your group that you can't pry away from the PS2, XBOX, or Game Cube? They'd probably enjoy this place. Pooh sized people have reported Cyber Space Mountain being a tight fit.

All ears has a section for the pooh sized:
    http://allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I have a hard time fitting on the tea cups, I always bang my knees..but I'm little over 5'11 with most of that being leg.

Chris, you will be fine at all of those parks! Have a great time, if you want to do a meet up during your vacation, look me up! We are there every weekend!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by PA. Chris
    Are there any rides at WDW that are problems for "Big People"? I remember going to Hersheypark and there were problems in one of the roller coasters.....getting the safety bar down and locked before the ride started. Are the rides designed better at wdw so that big people fit better ?
    Welcome to the board!!! This is a great question. By big you could mean both round or tall? I imagine all the Disney rides are designed so that 90% of humans can ride, just like cars. Meaning that 5% on the top and bottom ends will have difficulty riding, if at all. While I am certainly overweight, if not obese, I do not have too many problems except for the safety bars sometimes since my fat is mostly in my abdomen and not my posterior. Like April (Stitch) I too have problems with the teacups, but I squeeze in there somehow.

Here is some specific info:

Roller Coaster Design Standards

The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) has a committee that deals specifically with amusement rides and devices. Standard F 1159 - 97a develops design procedures in accordance with passenger weights. The weight assigned to an adult passenger for design purposes, shall be 170 lb (77kg) or 12 lb/in. (5.4 kg/25.4 mm) of hip width at the seat, whichever is the greater amount. The weight assigned to a 12-year-old child passenger for design purposes shall be 90 lb (41kg) or 9 lb/in. (4.1 kg/25.4 mm) of hip width at the seat, which ever is the greater amount.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has published a description of the physical dimensions of a human. Standard SAE J833 specifies the physical and body pivot dimensions for small, medium, and large humans. A small human represents the 5th percentile female meaning that only 5% of the female population are smaller than the dimensions listed. A medium human represents the halfway position between the small and large humans. Large humans represent the 95th percentile male. Only 5% of the male population are larger than the dimensions given. For the purpose of our project, we will be designing our harness and restraining mechanisms in accordance with a large human. If a height restriction is required, it will be determined at a later date. The typical dimensions we will be concerned with are listed in Table 1.

Table 1: Human Physical Dimensions (SAE, 130)

ASTM standard F 1159 – 97 also sets standards concerning passenger carrying devices. The seating must be designed "to provide adequate support padding and containment for the passenger’s body during operation, and to be consistent with the design intent of the ride." Restraining mechanisms may be used when appropriate; however, the devices may not be limited to the height, speed, and forces on passengers. Passenger clearance is another standard. Design clearance is a standard that ensures safety against passengers coming into contact with other passengers or with objects that could cause injury during operation of a ride or device. This ASTM standard also states that a design will provide sufficient braking capacity to satisfy the designer’s recommended operation parameters. A block system must be implemented for those rides and devices where, by the ride design, it is necessary to prevent independent passenger carrying units from occupying the same area or block of the ride.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 05-27-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Jiminy Cricket!..........that last post is too complicated. hey....I'm not debating design....if I am too big to ride than that is my problem......I am 6'1".....so TALL is not the problem......

I just wanted to know the bottom line......Are there rides I should stay away from ?.....I think I got that in that I should stay away from that one in Disney Quest.......even though my oldest son will probably spend hours there.......sounds right up his alley....!

Also, MommytoMjM.....I will get back to you. John 4:14. You sound like a special person !

Jiminy Cricket!..........that last post is too complicated. hey....I'm not debating design....if I am too big to ride than that is my problem......I am 6'1".....so TALL is not the problem......
    My DSIL is 6'3" and about 269 on a good day, but is on another diet now. He rides all the rides and coasters with no problems, even Space Mountain which is probably the tightest fit. He has a 38 inch waist if that helps.

Yes, Bonny is a very special person indeed.
    Last edited by MickeyBabe; 05-31-2005 at 09:57 AM. Reason: aded end quotes

Thanks so much for your help.......I'm looking at a 44 inch waist.......ugh......gotta get it down.....walking a lot in advance of this 'End of August' trip..... Something told me though, that I should look into the size/ride thing..... The roller Coaster at Hershey Park was embarrassing......the guy was practically jumping up and down on the bar to get it closed (pushed down) on me...... it was probabaly more embarrassing for my kids.....I don't want that repeated at WDW...... My experience should not hurt my self esteem more than it already is ! I am supposed to be enjoying this vacation....right ?

Thanks so much for your help.......I'm looking at a 44 inch waist.......ugh......gotta get it down.....walking a lot in advance of this 'End of August' trip..... Something told me though, that I should look into the size/ride thing..... The roller Coaster at Hershey Park was embarrassing......the guy was practically jumping up and down on the bar to get it closed (pushed down) on me...... it was probabaly more embarrassing for my kids.....I don't want that repeated at WDW...... My experience should not hurt my self esteem more than it already is ! I am supposed to be enjoying this vacation....right ?
    You're welcome. You might also try e-mailing Disney Guest Relations from the official WDW site. I'm sure they could provide you with more specifics.

Awwww, thanks so much JC and Chris....I am not that special, really! I do love meets tho, so I hope to get to meet you! Chris, I am always happy to answer any questions you have....Andrew is a 44 waist too and he has no trouble at any of the 4 parks, haven't done the waterparks yet, but can't imagine there is an issue there (altho the chairlift at Blizzard Beach has a weight limit)

We waited in line for a couple hours once at Great America in CA only to have to get off cause Andrew didn't fit, I feel your pain! WDW is great about it!

tinkerbellandme is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi, I am rather fluffy too as well as 5' 10". I have not had any problem at WDW with rides, however I have never tried Dumbo, teacups or autotopia or whatever the "race cars" are named now. I also have not tried disneyquest, simply because it does not appeal to me! That being said, on Kali River rapids if you are on a loaded raft, and your side will weigh the most, you will consistently be the one getting wet because of the way the weight will make the raft turn. If Kali is not that busy and you can get them to load you with only about 3 or 4 other guests and put them opposite you the raft will spin more and rotate who gets the wettest. I will briefly say that at that other park across town, there are several rides that I didn't fit on. You can email me for details.

Gin
    "I hope that we never lose sight of one thing, that this was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast