Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Asking for what you need....... in the Vacation Planning forums; As an aside....When we parkhop (most of the time and most every weekend) we have a unique system.... Andrew seperates our chairs and loads me and MJ onto a bus ...
    MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle

Asking for what you need.......

As an aside....When we parkhop (most of the time and most every weekend) we have a unique system....

Andrew seperates our chairs and loads me and MJ onto a bus and runs around and takes the car to wherever we are headed and meets us at the bus stop. Because of MJ's specific issues (seizures and swallowing disorders) the chairs have to be facing each other so I can see her in case something happens. The drivers usually accomodate us, but not without a lot of back and forth and stuff. So yesterday we went to the transportation manager and aksed if htere was anyway we could get a letter explaining our situation to showto the bus drivers so we don't have to go over this everytime and hold up the bus. Long story short, he is going to write something us and mail it to us so that we can be accomodated. I was very pleased at how seriously he took it and how it was handled......
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

karamie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I love how accomadating Disney is. I just can't imagine another theme park treating their patrons so caringly.

Karamie

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    That is a great idea and would save so much time. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

TalkingHands is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sometimes Disney is accommodating and sometimes not. I still have not gotten a real solution when it comes to entering the ramped buses with my power wheelchair. Some supervisors are great and others are less than helpful. Glad it worked out for you. So far for me zilch and I am dreading my trip in July as far as transportation is concerned.
    WDW Sept 9-11, 2005

Lisbet

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    I am so sorry to hear that Lisbet....that ****s.... Kathy said she also had good luck getting help with busses....maybe you could see who she talked to?
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Beth Stran is offline A-Ticket holder
    In Dec '02 I took my mother to WDW with a transporter (wheelchair that has no hand wheels - it must be pushed). The bus drivers were supurb, they helped load the chair in the lower compartments and then got it out and set it up. Her latest trip was Mar 05, a much busier time, but they were absolutely NO help, and at times they let you know you were holding up the lines. Our next trip is only 8 days away, we can't wait to go, but the buses are getting to become an issue. With all of the consideration that the Disney group puts into everything, I think its time to upgrade some transportation.

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)
    I hate hearing the negative stories ...but I do know they happen

You guys might be interested to know that the newer buses in the transportation system are KNEELING buses which means the stairs fold out and are the lift to get the chairs on the buses.

I also want to suggest that no matter how you are treated by a castmember you should always follow up with a letter to the company...

if it was a positive interaction then the castmember will get kudos and if it wasnt then the company will know how to help the castmember be a better castmember

just my two cents

TTFN

Kelly D <><
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizneluver View Post
    I hate hearing the negative stories ...but I do know they happen

You guys might be interested to know that the newer buses in the transportation system are KNEELING buses which means the stairs fold out and are the lift to get the chairs on the buses.

I also want to suggest that no matter how you are treated by a castmember you should always follow up with a letter to the company...

if it was a positive interaction then the castmember will get kudos and if it wasnt then the company will know how to help the castmember be a better castmember

just my two cents

TTFN

Kelly D <><
    I think this is an excellent suggestion. Good people need to be thanked by others so they know what they do is so helpful. Managers need to know who needs addtional training to become the type of cast member that Disney prides itself on. One person can make or break your Disney trip especially when your visit needs a little extra help to become a great experience.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.