Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Food allergies in the Vacation Planning forums; How do WDW treat guests who have requests regarding food allergies. I would imagine they will try to accomodate but has anyone had any experience with this matter....
    rictoon is offline A-Ticket holder

Food allergies

How do WDW treat guests who have requests regarding food allergies.
    I would imagine they will try to accomodate but has anyone had any experience with this matter.
    One Life,Live It

Yes they will accomodate you with food allergies. I haven't had personal experience, but a dear friend of mine has a young daughter with severe allergies and every trip they make all she does is contact the chef prior to their trip and then the chef for that particular restaurant will usually come out and speak to you before you start your meal. When you call Disney Dining to make your ADR's just let them know that you have someone in your party with food allergies and they can provide you with the phone number to the chef at each of the restaurants.

rictoon is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thank you Disneydreamer.I thought if one place in the world would look after you then it would be WDW.
    One Life,Live It

spiceycat is offline A-Ticket holder
    I still have problems...

I am allergic to pepper, oats and rye - they can be hidden....

so I joined DVC in 93 - I cook most of my own meals... I do eat occasionally at WDW. but mostly in places that I know don't have a problem with pepper.

tell the food server that you are allergic and to what - some can help you - others will go get the chef....

except to pay - everything that was pointed out to me was just about the most expensive on the menu....

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    WDW is better than DLR in meeting the needs of people with sensitivity an allergies. There is one major concern about the parks and allergies and that is the hidden stuff that WDW staff may not know about.

I am wheat, eggs, soy, chocolate and dairy sensitive. I will not end up in the hospital if I put bread in my mouth or touch it and usually just ruin my immune system, get rashes and pain. There are people who can get very sick just from a peanut touching their food or from inhaling dust or handling a contaminant.

You have to make sure the staff know that vegetable oil may contain corn, soy, or peanuts and what the ingredients may mean. I have had reactions because some xanthan gum comes from wheat as does dextrose and anything with malt. At my house I have to scour counter tops and pans. When making a meal I have to not lick my fingers, let bread crumbs drop on my food or other wise contaminate my food. Some people do not understand that if they eat peanuts then cook a meal that the peanut oil can be on their hands and contaminate food. They do not understand that vegetarians do not want their fries cooked in the same oil as the chicken or fish.

Disney parks have great medical staff and you can store medical equipment and medicine in parks. Just be careful of any counter service like burger stands as they may have chicken breasts filled with soy, egg, dairy, wheat or corn.

Bug's Life used to use some nasty stuff and I got really sick at DLR because I sat in a regular seat. At WDW I was in an ECV and did not get must of the odor in my face.

Hugs and I no longer go to parks because i severely damaged my knee in park and my back is getting worse. It is too much of a hike just to get to the front gate. Ask if you have any questions about food allergies or celiac.

Kimberly Button is offline A-Ticket holder
    Disney is the absolute best place that I know of to handle food allergies. I'm allergic to many, many things. All you need to do is tell the hostess or server who will then request that the chef come to your table and they will talk with you and help you pick and choose items to create a meal.

Tony's Restaurant had a great gluten free pasta dish, as does Mama Melrose's. Pizza Planet at MGM even has gluten free pizzas they can heat for you. At quick service counters, just ask a cast member for a list of the menu items which tells you every ingredient in the food, or sometimes a chef will come to the counter to speak with you.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    My sister is allergic to alot of things (milk, soy, peanuts, eggs) and when we went to WDW in march every restaraunt we went to helped out with this. Some restaruants even had the chef come out and make something special for her, this happened at the character breakfast at crystal palace. Thats why WDW is so great, every cast member is willing to go head over heels to keep you happy!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    (while this is an old thread, just thought I'd post my 2 cents as well) As others have said, Disney chefs (and the rest of the cast) are amazing at dealing with special food needs. You can generally speak with a chef right at the restaurant to be sure your needs can be met.

Though not absolutely required, for best results, contact Disney in advance of your trip. They have people who specialize in this, and if you plan in advance, they can make sure to have exactly what you'll need when you go.

Some of the things I've heard them do are just amazing. And the amazement of kids that they can order "off the menu" or get what they want is pure magic.

I've been to a WDW restaurant with someone with certain food allergies, and it was real cool to see the accommodations that were made there.

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    They are also VERY great for people with Diabetes. My Step-Sister has diabetes and they are always a great help at making things for her or going over the menu with us.

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I second everyone else's posts. I'm allergic to Tomatoes and intolerant to Strawberries (I can have them, but they give me lots of problems... exactly how my Tomato allergy started) During my visit last year to 1900 park Faire at the Grand Floridian, I told my server, she told me to wait until she came back before going to the buffet. One of the Chefs came out and walked me through the buffet line, pointing out all of the items that had Tomatoes that were obvious and the ones that were not so obvious. he offered to make me a fresh salad on a clean cutting board with a clean knife, something not so obvious to most, but he clearly knew what he was doing. (if you cut a tomato and then cut other salad stuff up with the same knife or cutting board, i'm in just as much trouble as if i eat the darn 'mater!) he also introduced me to all of the line attendants and asked them to watch over me and help me make good choices. he then informed me that if i didnt feel that there was a good enough selection on the buffet, he would make something special for me!!!

I sure do wish I could have tried that Strawberry soup they serve... it looked and smelled soooo yummy, and my dear wife and daughter shared like 3 bowls full!
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    You said it well. The hardest time I have is not saying "I cannot have eggs" but get people to understand about cross contamination through using a work surface that may have been touched by the allergen. It also applies to people who cannot eat food because of medical or religious reasons. No pork means that the dishes, kitchen counters, knives, utensils, glasses and even the hands of the server should not touch pork. Flour from an apron can get into food. I accidently flipped a tiny piece of flour tortilla into iced tea I was making for dinner, arg.

Your experience sounded wonderful but remember that one bite of forbidden foods may hurt for a long time. I wish I could try that strawberry soup, sounds tasty.

dont you hate when that happens?
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady
    I wish I could try that strawberry soup, sounds tasty.
    I have the recipe... i make it for my wife all the time. want it?
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Raises hand, I want it please!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd like it to please!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast