Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Diabetes in the Vacation Planning forums; My step sister is only 5 and has type 1 Diabetes. Now we go to disney on ocasion, but just thought I would ask if anyone knows any special things ...
    nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder

Question Diabetes

My step sister is only 5 and has type 1 Diabetes. Now we go to disney on ocasion, but just thought I would ask if anyone knows any special things Disney does for Diabetics? I know that they have Suggar Free ice cream and such, but that has sugger alachols in which she cannot eat. But we want her to have fun time at WDW as much as she can, so it wont spoil the magic. She is on a pump, and we can guess on how much suggar and carbohydrates are in each item, but we know nothing about certian speciality dishes that she would enjoy...which are sometimes the things little kids dont eat. Like that great salmon they serve at Boma. And to boot, my Dad, Stepmom, and Stepsister are going to WDW again for Thanksgiving...I am going to be with family with mom on the east coast of FL...so does anybody know anything? This would be a HUGE HELP to my family and my stepsisters health! Which would be very much apericated, as well as thoughts and prayers. Thanks!

Nick, when you guys make ADR's for your meals, just tell the CM that you are speaking with about your Sister's special dietary needs and they will give you direct phone numbers to the Chef at each particular establishment. WDW is absolutely wonderful about making choices available for people with special dietary needs. And if you are eating somewhere that you didn't have an ADR for, just ask to speak to the Chef. The chef will be able to give you information about the foods on the menu.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    At a lot of places they will ask you about any special dietary needs when they take your order.
    They call me "Nana"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Deb Wills' also have a new book out for various disabilities. You may want to check into it as well to give you some more infomation about travelling with anyone with special needs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...453370-3194260
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Thanks everyone! I will have to print all of this out for Dad and my Stepmom when they go to the MK for thanksgiving! I wish I could go to...haha...but with my dad's luck from last thanksgiving at Disney Studios, I am not shure I want to see another incident happen at WDW. Thanks everybody, Bella will be so happy now!