Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Guests with Special Needs Discuss lines with a wheelchair? in the Vacation Planning forums; We are going to WDW in feb. and my mother needs a wheelchair to get around. She can walk a little but because of her body she can not stand ...
    lela12982 is offline A-Ticket holder

lines with a wheelchair?

We are going to WDW in feb. and my mother needs a wheelchair to get around. She can walk a little but because of her body she can not stand or walk too much. I read on the disney site that wheelchairs have to wait in the normal lines. IS this true? Because of her problems she can not sit nor stand too long, so we are worried about lines. If anyone knows or has seen people in lines or anyhting please let me know!!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible so you can bring the WC into them. You will want to go into Guest relations and explain your mother's situation to them, they will most likely give you a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) this will let the CM's know that your mother will need to wait in an alternative area Where she can alternate between standing and sitting. There is no longer Front of the Line Access for anyone except Make a Wish children. Please feel free to ask any other questions that you have.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Kimberly Button is offline A-Ticket holder
    With so many people using wheelchairs at Disney, it would really be unfair for wheelchair users to be able to jump directly to the front of the line. I have to use a wheelchair myself when we visit Disney and some of the attractions are quicker to board than others.

The MK wasn't designed with large queues for wheelchairs, so in many cases you will be using an alternate queue which does get you to the front of the line quicker. However, at DAK and MGM, they designed the queues with disability access in mind, so you'll need to wait with everyone else.

Spaceship Earth is the worst queue for wheelchair users, though. Every time we've gone I've been made to feel like a two year old. This doesn't happen at any other attraction at Disney. They even take your name down and tell you where to stand and how to board the vehicle. I've complained to guest relations. They say they need your name in case of emergency, but I've never had to do that at Test Track, Mission space, Everest or any other attraction.

disneycdk is offline A-Ticket holder
    We will be going in September and both my parents will be using ECVs. They are in their 80's and have never been to Disney World. I want them to see as much as possible but I know that even with 11 days they can't see it all. I have been many times but this is the first time with someone using the ECVs. We rented them from an outside company and they are supposed to be waiting at CBR when we get there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Mary

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    Due to the size of the ECV you may have to transfer to a wheel chair at the ride. Disney Cast Members are not supposed to question guests about their request for a special pass. At Disneyland suddenly every wheelchair and ECV was rented when ever a new ride opened. Guests were allowed to take 3 to 5 friends so they all went to the head of the line.

The original intention of the guest passes at parks was to make it easier for guests with limitations. These limitations include autism, service dogs, heart problems, oxygen dependency and other health issues that limit the guest emotional abilities (autism) or health (oxygen dependency). Disney is not alone in making rides so that disabled guests have to stand in line like normal guests. If you cannot stand in line then you should get a wheelchair.

When i last was at WDW there was so much kindness and help from cast members. Sometimes the disabled perks are not so great like I walked a quarter mile to the ferry because I parked in disabled parking instead of next to the tram loading area. There are areas for disabled guests for parades and shows also but sometimes you may find a better spot elsewhere.

First Aid offers companion bathrooms and other needs of the disabled. If you want a sterile clean and quiet place to do medical procedures like change a dressing, adjust artificial limbs, or take sugar counts then check out First Aid which has quiet rooms to lie down if you ar faint or not feeling well. Companion bathrooms allow two people to enter a bathroom regardless of gender and also have room for an ECV or Wheelchair.

I liked WDW because it was so disabled friendly and my stay was a breeze last time. On a couple rides I actually was able to take my ECV right onto the ride, woot.

Check this site for more information.
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...=PlainHomePage

This page is specific to Mobility related issues and lists all the attractions you can enjoy without leaving a wheelchair or even an ECV.

Thank you for the info. I am sure they won't want to do any rides but the attractions and the queues for the rides are always fun. They are mobile but no way could they walk around the parks. I think it's great that we can get scooters for them to use everywhere. I was concerned about DTD and around the resort. This way they can go everywhere.

I have read elsewhere that sometimes ECVs are stolen from in front of the rides. Since this would be a major problem, we will take turns staying with them if they have to be left for any reason.

There are some great attractions that seniors and ride chickens would love. I am not up to date on WDW like the pros here but here is the list of things they would like probably.

Ariel's Grotto
    Mickey's Country House
    Mickey's PhilharMagic
    Mike Fink Keelboats (seasonal)
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    "The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management"
    The Hall of Presidents
    Toontown Hall of Fame
    Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
    Train
    It's a Small World

Innoventions
    The Living Seas
    The Land has a nice boat ride that handles ECVs and I rode it 3 times.
    Universe of Energy is a ride through show that is funny.
    Spaceship Earth

China, France, Canada, The American Adventure but pass on Maelstrom unless they can handle Pirates. You can ask a cast member to by pass the ride, not sure if that works. Mexico uses a boat like Pirates and is a gentle ride.

MGM shows including Muppets, Stunt Show, Tour, Millionaire, Magic of Disney Animation, Walt Disney - One Man's Dream.

They have to do The Great Movie Ride which was my favorite and is a slow moving easy history of movies.

All Animal Kingdom shows and take them on the Kilamanjaro Safari but sit in the middle not over the wheels. I was fine first couple of times but the last time I sat over the wheels and it was so rough I jarred my back into pain.

The conservation center is a nice place to visit and you can ride in your wheelchair on a train there.

My mother is 80 and she is a ride chicken. People her age went on rides at Coney Island and The Pike. My father was in his 50's and was riding the Bobsleds at DL. Just because people are old or over age 30 does not mean they will not like something. Let them lead you and let them try what they want. My mom liked the Muppets show at DLR for example and she was a senior citizen.

ECVs have been taken as well as strollers. Take the key with you and they cannot steal the scooter. Disney scooters use a key to prevent theft. Turn the key off to conserve energy and if you cannot make it up the hill then turn side ways which allows the machine to think it is on flat ground. You do not have to worry about ECVs being stolen if you remember to take the key and to mark the chair with a scarf or other thing that shows it is someone's.

Thank you very much for the great info. I will let them guide me most of the way. I too am a ride chicken. Not so much afraid as subject to motion sickness. And once I get sick, my day is ruined. Spash Mountain is okay because it's all calm and one big drop. No time to get sick.

I will print out the ride list and keep it with me. So if they ask I will know in advance what the ride is.

I'm not sure when your trip is planned for, but a great resource is the Passporter Guide to WDW for your Special Needs by Deb Wills and Deb Koma. I use it a lot when answering messages.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)

Thank you MeChurchLady for your extensive answers, I just had some things to add, so I will cut and paste your list:

Ariel's Grotto (Character meet and greet and water play area)
    Mickey's Country House
    Minnie's House is nice also
    Mickey's PhilharMagic
    Mike Fink Keelboats (seasonal) No longer open
    Pirates of the Caribbean Must transfer to regular chair, so you will need two pushers)
    "The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management"
    The Hall of Presidents
    Toontown Hall of Fame (Area to meet charatcers, great area)
    Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
    Train ECV's cannot ride, so you will have to transfer and go round trip)
    It's a Small World (must transfer to a seat or a transfer manual chair and then can use the wheelchair boat)

Innoventions
    The Living Seas (only part of it is open right now)
    The Land has a nice boat ride that handles ECVs and I rode it 3 times. (You must transfer to a manual wheelchair and each boat can only accomodate one wheelchair, so you may have to split up, or you can transfer to their bench seating)
    Universe of Energy is a ride through show that is funny.
    Spaceship Earth (again, must transfer to a manual wheelchair or walk about 30 ft to ther cars)

China, France, Canada, The American Adventure but pass on Maelstrom unless they can handle Pirates. You can ask a cast member to by pass the ride, not sure if that works. Mexico uses a boat like Pirates and is a gentle ride.

MGM shows including Muppets, Stunt Show, Tour, Millionaire, Magic of Disney Animation, Walt Disney - One Man's Dream.

They have to do The Great Movie Ride which was my favorite and is a slow moving easy history of movies. (can only accomodate one wheelchair and it must be manual or power, but not an ECV, again, you can transfer to their seats)

All Animal Kingdom shows and take them on the Kilamanjaro Safari but sit in the middle not over the wheels. I was fine first couple of times but the last time I sat over the wheels and it was so rough I jarred my back into pain. (must transfer to their seats, each truck can only accomodate one manual wheelchair, I agree about the back pain)

The conservation center is a nice place to visit and you can ride in your wheelchair on a train there. (yes, but the ECV's will be placed in two seperate cars)

I have a disintigrating disc and have gotten it hurt bad on Indy Jones in DLR several times. I had ridden before hand in the middle with no problem so I would never have thought that sitting in the back would hurt so much.

Back on topic. If you have a mall or local park that rents out chairs then you might want to practice using an ECV. They are easy to use but the problem is they are moving vehicles that can as in my case run down people. I got knocked down by an old dude who did not care because he was heading from point A to point B. Like strollers ECVs can do a lot of damage.

The good news is that Cast Members are really helpful as long as they do not have to lift guests. They cannot do things like pick up guests but will help you in other ways like they held my stuff while I got out of my ECV and they helped me once park it. They even did not get on me for ripping out part of the molding at Casey's Corner in WDW.

Also WDW has wide road ways for people to walk so there is not problems usually with tight spots.

Wow that is a great list and you sure did include lots of information.

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    I Think Some People Have Good Reason For Using A Wheel Chair And Getting To Go To The Front Of The Line. While One Time When I Was At Disney I Saw Almost 30 People Get To The Front Of The Line (exaggeration) Because They Were With A Person In A Wheel Chair.
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-05-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    MOUSE

wow Mike Fink Keelboats is an OLD ride!
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Last time I was in a Disney park the were limiting it to 5 or 6 guests. That is the rule the last time I heard at least and you can complain. However 5 disabled people could each take 5 friends lol.

o8catrina8o is offline D-Ticket Holder
    here is a reponse to the wheelchair question while i was down there in Dec i hurt my foot and used a wheelchair there was hardly a wait for anything good luck
    1993 - Dolphin
    1995- Aunt House
    1997- Off Site
    1999- Off Site
    2000- Coronodo Springs
    2002- Port Orleans and All Star
    2003- Off Site
    2004- Off Site - Christmas Time
    2005- Pop Century -Christmas Time
    2005 -Carribean Beach - DIsney Wonder
    2005- Disneyland- Spring Break
    2006- Pop Century - Halloween