Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Hypothyroidism in the Vacation Planning forums; Does anyone here have severe hypothyroidism? I am asking because my mom does and I don't know if any one else has this problem but if she doesn't eat often ...
    fancythemouse is offline C-Ticket Holder

Hypothyroidism

Does anyone here have severe hypothyroidism? I am asking because my mom does and I don't know if any one else has this problem but if she doesn't eat often or rest occasionally she gets sick, like nauseaus and if she doesn't stop then she will have to lie down and sleep. Just wondering of rest stops throughout the different parks.

thanks!
    Cristabel

DLR June 2004
    DLR Dec 2004
    WDW June 2006
    DLR Nov 2006
    DLR Jan 2007
    DLR April 2007 - 3 goofy generations' Disneyland Reunion!

Can't help you with any information on this disorder, but there are TONS of places throughout the parks that she can rest and take a break. I would suggest some of the attractions such as Ellen's Energy Adventure, CoP, or HoP, they are all air conditioned and sit down attractions that last for a bit of time and will give her some good down time. The TTA in Tomorrowland is also a good way to rest and get cooled off. You can stay right on the ride. Sometimes in the evening when we are starting to get tired and need a break we will ride it 2 or 3 times in a row!!!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    First Aid is alos a great option for resting, they have beds in cubicles and you can lay down there, we've had to use it for MJ's meltdowns, diaper changes (she's too big for regular changing tables), my migraies and even heat exhaustion....everyone there is very friendly and helpful!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    My mom suffers from Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, so I understand your frustration! It seems like the doctors can never figure out just what will make her feel better, and it can be very disheartening.

You can bring snacks into the parks also, I believe, and that may be a great option for your mother just in case it's an emergency and lines are too long for food. Something high in iron!!

Also I'd recommend before you go to thoroughly look over your park maps (if you're staying on Disney property they should mail them out to you) that gives you a bit of an idea before you get there which rides would be great for her to rest in (like CoP, although my husband hates it cuz I sing the song for hours after!). www.allearsnet.com is a wonderful resource for researching the rides, menus, parks, etc. before you go.

Hope that helps!

KUNGALOOSH!!!

fancythemouse is offline C-Ticket Holder
    [QUOTE=JMSuperHeroTeam]My mom suffers from Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, so I understand your frustration! It seems like the doctors can never figure out just what will make her feel better, and it can be very disheartening.

QUOTE]

It is disheartening because you hate to see your mom that way. Thank you so much for your reply!
    Cristabel

DLR June 2004
    DLR Dec 2004
    WDW June 2006
    DLR Nov 2006
    DLR Jan 2007
    DLR April 2007 - 3 goofy generations' Disneyland Reunion!

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    My cousin had a severe case of hypothyroidism which we made sure to work around. Like someone said earlier there are plenty of places to go into out of the heat and where she can relax. We always tried to save the more leisure rides for times she needed to rest. This was similar to my mother who was apt to become overheated easily. Here are some rides we tried to catch when my cousin needed a rest.

MK: PhilharMagic, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, PotC, Haunted Mansion, It's A Small World
    Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Ride, Pavilion Buildings, Mouse Gear, Living with the Land, Journey into Imagination, Honey I Shrunk the Audience
    MGM: Great Movie Ride, Stores
    AK: I don't know of many places that were a good place for her to rest, we generally didn't stay long at the Animal Kingdom when she came.
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough: