Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hidden Mickeys Discuss Hidden Mickey Controversy... false or fiction? in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; If you are not familar with the program DisneyLink it is a program you download from disney.com that gives you all the latest updates in the world of Walt Disney. ...
    DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Exclamation Hidden Mickey Controversy... fact or fiction?

If you are not familar with the program DisneyLink it is a program you download from disney.com that gives you all the latest updates in the world of Walt Disney. You have probably seen some of my threads which come from the program...anyways off from the tangent...

We all of heard of the pretend hidden mickey in the haunted mansion. The one with the plates set up in the ballroom. I was informed from I believe this site that wasnt a REAL hidden mickey, just one made my CMs.

Well, Disneylink sent me a message giving some trivia on Haunted Mansion Hidden Mickeys. And the first one they talked about was (and I quote) "Ballroom Scene--arrangement of plate and adjoining saucers on the banquet table."

So my question is.. is this a real hidden mickey since it comes from disney itself? or is it a fake made my CMs??

If you would like me to post the actual message from DisneyLink just let me know
    Last edited by DisneyHottie; 03-23-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: false or fiction hahaha
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    According the CM I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour with in the MK, she stated that the plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene of the Haunted Mansion is the result of the CMs. Imagineering will go through this attraction (and others) and check on things. One of the things they do specifically regarding this Hidden Mickey is to rearrange the plates the CMs have put into a Hidden Mickey back into their original non-Hidden Mickey configuration. So, then the Haunted Mansion CMs put the plates back into a Hidden Mickey configuration. And, it goes back and forth between the Imgineers and the CMs. Back in 2005, I finally got to witness the plates both ways within days of each other.

Now Imagineering did purposely place hidden mickeys inside the Haunted Mansion, but the plate one is not from the Imagineers but the Haunted Mansion CMs.

I'm curious to see Steve Barrett's opinion on this one. I don't recall what Jason Surrell's book has to say on this topic. I'll have to re-read it to find out.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I've heard the same thing from CMs on tours and from folks working the ride. When the attraction first opened the Mickey wasn't there and was therefore not a result of an Imagineer who helped design the ride. Instead, like Amanda said, a CM rearranged the plates and since it's become a sort of game. Imagineers come in and put them back, CMs then redo the Mickey. Of course it's all in fun from what I was told... it's not like there's some memo out there with a "don't touch the darn plates" topic. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I think it is funny that they go back and forth. I think if a castmember puts it there then I will count it as a hidden mickey. That is one of my favorite mickey's regardless of if a imagineer put it there or a cast member.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

flutter is offline Moderator
    I bought one of the hidden Mickey pins in Dec of the Haunted mansion and has the table with thte hidden Mickey, my thought was if it is an unofficial hidden Mickey why did they put it on a pin?.........by the way, you know false and fiction are the same thing right?

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    i went on the KttK tour and they said it was Cm's but then they said they were in the process of getting to be a real one
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    I by the way, you know false and fiction are the same thing right?
    haha. I meant to put fact..oops. thats what happens when you rush to do things.

Anyway.. my point is that if it is not a real hiddn mickey made by an imagineer then why would The Disney company put out that it is. I just find it odd.
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyHottie View Post
    haha. I meant to put fact..oops. thats what happens when you rush to do things.

Anyway.. my point is that if it is not a real hiddn mickey made by an imagineer then why would The Disney company put out that it is. I just find it odd.
    I don't find it odd at all when you look at other things.
    The ring that was/wasn't/is in the pavement at the exit to the HM is another example. (BTW...what is the current status on this? Has it returned?)
    Anyhow, a story developed around it thanks to CMs and park guests perpetuating it. It then because a part of the "trivia" and "unofficial backstory" of the Haunted Mansion to the point that it is mentioned in the Keys to the Kingdom tour. So in a sense, I see the unofficial Hidden Mickey as the same thing....created by CMs and perpetuated by park guest.

As Tracy and Kyle have noted, obviously Disney is taking note of this Hidden Mickey because why else would they issue merchandise featuring it? Merchandise=money.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    IMerchandise=money.
    very true
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!

Deviant is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I always thought this was pretty dang stupid. Here you have something created by CMs that almost every fan knows about already and Imagineers just keep doing battle with the CMs. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a game they have since obviously the Imagineers could give them problems if they wanted to for messing with the attraction and could use the argument that moving the plates is destruction to the attraction to the same extent as moving something larger like an animatronic. Hey, they could use that if they against them if they really wanted to.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Disney World Trivia, Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Company.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    It's a hidden Mickey no matter who puts it there.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic101 View Post
    It's a hidden Mickey no matter who puts it there.

Exactly!
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    I always thought this was pretty dang stupid. Here you have something created by CMs that almost every fan knows about already and Imagineers just keep doing battle with the CMs. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a game they have since obviously the Imagineers could give them problems if they wanted to for messing with the attraction and could use the argument that moving the plates is destruction to the attraction to the same extent as moving something larger like an animatronic. Hey, they could use that if they against them if they really wanted to.
    I don't think this was ever a battle. As I said above the CM I spoke to certainly made it sound more like it was all in good fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamajenn
    Of course it's all in fun from what I was told... it's not like there's some memo out there with a "don't touch the darn plates" topic.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

goodnreadytogo is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Check out the hidden Mickey at Belle's Library in France at Epcot. There is a series of LE Disney trading pins called Hidden Disney which show "official" hidden Mickeys found at WDW. Here's some examples:

Enjoy!
    Lenore
    goodnreadytogo
    http://goodnreadytogo.com

Extreme WDW Fan!!

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    it is most def an hm i love that one although it would be neat to see it not be an hm ocassionally and the pin set that came out is ssoo cool i saw them and i totally freaked i want them all!!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast