Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Hidden Mickeys Discuss PotC Mickey debate in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Ok I know I am probably going to start a little war between a few people here... There are two Mickey's on PotC that I have a question about... do ...
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

PotC Mickey debate

Ok I know I am probably going to start a little war between a few people here...

There are two Mickey's on PotC that I have a question about... do you consider them truely Hidden Mickey's? Why or why not.

1. The Lock on the jail cell
    2. The bottom of the lights at the final scene.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The reason I am asking this (and will be for other mickey's) is that many people, including the Disney Archives, seem to find general items that look like Mickey and really are not. So it is up to any of you out there to help decide if they are or not. Feel free to give your thoughts, or change your mind, as you see fit.

Well onto my answers....

1. No. (Don't yell too loud at me just yet) The locks are from a certain period. Putting Master locks on there just wouldn't fit. Have you ever looked at lockes used by magicians at the turn of the century? If you ever do you will notice they are the smae style and shape as those on PotC. Do you think Harry Houdini was thinking about Mickey's before Walt was even born?

2. Ok Yes I could see these. The only thing is that they are all the same size circles and they are on every light bottom. Still not sure overall though.

Again these are just my thoughts. Feel free to give yours.
    Last edited by TrendyMagic; 07-26-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    "Paging Mr. Barrett... Mr. Steven Barrett please come to the Hidden Mickeys thread. We have a question for you"
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

sbarrett is offline Moderator
    TrendyMagic,

My thoughts about your PotC questions:

I consider the jail cell lock HM to be a stretch, like the Big Thunder Mountain gear HM on the ground. However, cast members and the public seem to consider these as HM's, so I caved in and included them in my list. I consider them sentimental HM's. Besides, some HM's weren't planned that way, such as the HM in the Impressions de France movie wedding scene. That one was in place years before HM's were defined, but it is clearly a HM shape. The HM in the light fixtures is not in the structure itself, but in the shadows on the wall. Unfortunately, these shadows have not been as obvious to me lately; (did the lighting change somehow?). Shadow HM's are a source of great debate, but I admit that some shadows are distorted enough to resemble three circle HM's, even though the circles that cast them are all the same size.

Steve Barrett, author of the Hidden Mickeys book

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    2. Ok Yes I could see these. The only thing is that they are all the same size circles and they are on every light bottom. Still not sure overall though.

These were pointed out to me as an official one from a CM on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour I took back in 1995
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarrett
    I consider the jail cell lock HM to be a stretch, like the Big Thunder Mountain gear HM on the ground. Unfortunately, these shadows have not been as obvious to me lately; (did the lighting change somehow?).

Good to hear you are thinking along the same lines. In general I consider HM's to be ones place by the design team for them or others to find. Yeah some do pop up as pure random luck. In recent years many seem to stretch to find what is not really a HM.

The shadows can change as they bump lights and what not during checkups. Not sure about Pirates though. Read the Spash Mtn thread for info on the Mickey cloud I though was gone.