Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Old "The Land" in the I Remember... forums; Does anyone miss old Land, I mean before Soarin? I know it wasn't an attraction, but it was just a foodcourt. When I used to go into it, it would ...
    nickv1025 is offline A-Ticket holder

Old "The Land"

Does anyone miss old Land, I mean before Soarin? I know it wasn't an attraction, but it was just a foodcourt.

When I used to go into it, it would be a nice place with nice decorations and after you ate you could take a small boat ride. When I went in it last year it was shoulder-to-shoulder, loud, and reminded me of a mall.

Now don't get me wrong, Soarin is a great idea, but I think it should have had it's own entrance.

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i miss it too....i liked the relaxed feel and the fountain! the fountain was great...i know they want it to go with the look of soarin' but i liked it better when it was more of a farmer's market feel...i think it went better with the overall message of The Land..
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i agree!! I miss the market type atmosphere!! I also miss food rocks and think that was so much better than soarin!! It takes time for me to get used to change in Disney World!
    Shannon

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i have a question about the old land!! When i was food rocks i remember the room you waited till the actual show started and once those doors opened you walked down a small hallway to enter the actual room. Now that soarin is there i feel like there is so much space leading up to the ride. What was in that place when food rocks was there. I dont remember there being that much space. Does anyone else feel that way?!

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    there was probably some trees and grass... I believe they built everything you are talking about... All that is left from food rocks is the queue for soarin
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

nickv1025 is offline A-Ticket holder
    There were many more restaurants...I think there are only two there now right? If I remember correctly, there may have been more than 10.

also, i think that kitchen kabaret and food rocks probably had a lot of staging and electronics that were hidden...so we don't know how much space that stuff took up either
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Soarin was an addition to The Land pavilion. They built the big screens and then built the building around it. So a lot of the Soarin' waiting area and the theatres is new areas of the Land. It didn't always used to be there.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I do miss Kitchen Cabaret or Food Rocks or whatever it died as but what I do miss more was the fact that they had good food at the "market." I went to eat at The Land for lunch on one of my past trips only to discover that not looked even remotely appetizing on the menu so I went to eat where I always eat......the Terriyaki House
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com

the food court was just more warm and welcoming...i know the point is for it to look like an airport but many people travel through airports to get to disney, why would you want to relax and eat in one? couldn't they have come up with something more creative...since soarin takes place over a ski resort and parks maybe they could have themed along those lines....like a national park or picnic setting...that would have incorporated more of what The Land pavillion stands for...
    Erica

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Is the 'Listen to the Land ' ride still there? It was closed last year when we were there but I thought they were just refurbing it?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    yes but they took the tour guides off and they took the song living with the land out of the ride.
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I have some audio of the old Food Rocks Show and the old interior music loop of the Land on episode 8 of my podcast:
    http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/sn2006-08.htm

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I really liked the old Land Pavillion too. I loved the fountain and how the balloons slowly raised and lowered. The new design really ties together the "Land" and the "Air" of Soarin' though (i.e. the look of the lights and decore are very airplane-like). I do like the flow of the path through the eating area much better now... much better than walking around people as the eat. What I'm not fond of is the fact that since Soarin' was built on the left, everyone enters on that side and it causes a cluster in the stair/escalator area on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpanflight View Post
    i have a question about the old land!! When i was food rocks i remember the room you waited till the actual show started and once those doors opened you walked down a small hallway to enter the actual room. Now that soarin is there i feel like there is so much space leading up to the ride. What was in that place when food rocks was there. I dont remember there being that much space. Does anyone else feel that way?!
    As someone else said... pretty much trees and grass. The building that Soarin is in along with the majority of the queue were all built seperately from the actual land pavillion.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by gonesouthin View Post
    yes but they took the tour guides off and they took the song living with the land out of the ride.
    Really? I went multiple times between the time the new pavillion opened and end of February '06 and the CMs were still on the boats and the song was still playing. When did the change happen?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast