Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Disney's Dixey Landings Resort in the I Remember... forums; Hi Folks, I remember the first time I took my wife (then my college girlfriend) to Disney who had never been to WDW. We stayed at Dixey Landings. As time ...
    eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Disney's Dixey Landings Resort

Hi Folks,

I remember the first time I took my wife (then my college girlfriend) to Disney who had never been to WDW. We stayed at Dixey Landings. As time went on, we discovered the Wilderness Lodge and lost touch with it. I know it doesn't exist anymore but what happened to it?
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    It does still exist it's now Port Orleans French Quarter and PO Riverside.. I just stay there in Jan. and POFQ was a beautiful Resort.
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Merged to become part of Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Oh, good to know. Thanks. Any idea why Disney made this change?
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Dixie Landings was renamed Port Orleans: Riverside in March, 2001. Part of the reason was to emphasize that Riverside & French Quarter are "sister" resorts sharing pool privileges and the common waterway (Sassagoula River). At the same time they combined the behind the scenes operations (housekeeping, etc.). An additional benefit was the reduced costs of producing merchandise and other things like napkins, brochures, etc. because they could use a single "Port Orleans" design for both resorts. I believe it was also said that the word "Dixie" was still having a negative resonance (civil war never ended in some parts of the South).
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    I believe it was also said that the word "Dixie" was still having a negative resonance (civil war never ended in some parts of the South).
    I can't remember if this was ever actually stated by Disney. I don't think it was. But as far as I know, this was the reason for the change...the rest was just a fluffy way to not sound PC.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We still call it Dixie Landings. It was the first onsite resort my DH and DD ever stayed in. We have lots of merchandise from then, too.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    I believe the bigger push was to save $$$ by combining the workforce and closing Bonfamilles Restaurant. It was also beneficial to book overflow from one resort into the other claiming they both parts of the same whole.

The politically correct part had to do with removing "Dixie" from the name. Other changes included making "The Colonel's Cotton Mill" into the "Riverside Mill". If I am not mistaken it was at about the same time that the Fort Wilderness Mickey lost his Musket and began carrying a Walking Stick! What is up with that? Not too helpful in the wilderness against a bear!

I loved the Original Dixie landings. The little details, small as they are, made me feel we had entered the antebellum south where women were ladies and the men southern gentlemen.

We still enjoy the resort, even with the changes.

As a matter of fact, I'll be there in may. First time in the Alligator Bayou area.

Last edited by MickeyBabe; 02-28-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: correcting my louisims
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    I miss Dixie Landings.Every time I went to WDW my family stayed there.It was so cool.Once it was changed to Port Orleans we stoppeed going. I think it was a stupid reason to change it.
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    I miss Dixie Landings.Every time I went to WDW my family stayed there.It was so cool.Once it was changed to Port Orleans we stoppeed going. I think it was a stupid reason to change it.
    So the name is the reason you won't go back to a place you loved? I mean, almost nothing has changed besides a couple of names. That really ruined your experience? Why?
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/