Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Skyway closing in the I Remember... forums; Everytime I go to Disney World I see the abandoned Skyway building, and I always wished I could've gone on it. Does anyone know when or why it closed? I ...

Question Skyway closing

Everytime I go to Disney World I see the abandoned Skyway building, and I always wished I could've gone on it. Does anyone know when or why it closed? I really would've liked to try it, too bad it's gone - it's seems missed by almost everyone.
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    From the trivia section of this site, under "extinct Fantasyland Attractions":

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello
    The Skyway closed on November 10, 1999, joining its counterpart in Disneyland which closed on the exact same day in 1994. The Disneyland Tokyo Skyway closed in November 1998.

One of Walt Disney World's original attractions, the Skyway was a 5-minute long cable-car style ride that ran between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, passing over the Cinderella's Golden Carousel tent, and the Grand Prix Raceway. The ride was listed twice on park guide maps - it was listed as the Skyway to Tomorrowland from the Fantasyland terminal, and as the Skyway to Fantasyland from the Tomorrowland terminal. Guests boarded the Skyway from a loading area themed like a Swiss chalet in Fantasyland, and from an area west of Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. The ride was open year round, and closed temporarily during rain storms or high winds. The one-way ride required a "D-Ticket" and took an almost 90-degree turn as it passed near the Grand Prix Raceway. On November 10, 1999 , the Skyway closed for good, joining its Disneyland counterpart, which closed exactly five years earlier. The Skyway in Tokyo Disneyland closed in November, 1998.

So, why did it close? Well, despite rumors that it had closed for safety reasons after a guest fell from a ride car, the Skyway closed for more practical reasons. First, it was a very slow-loading and unprofitable attraction. Second, it was also extremely difficult to accommodate guests with disabilities, unless wheelchair-bound guests left their chair on the loading area and took a round-trip ride. However, reports that there was a death on the Skyway were in fact true, although it was not a guest who lost their life. In February of 1999, a part-time Cast Member, while not wearing any protective equipment or safety harness, was working in the loading area when he accidentally fell to his death
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I think it closed in 99. I never got to ride this either.... what a shame
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Thanks for the info, I was always wondering why it closed. The skyway building in Fantasyland is cute, it's kind of annoying how they just leave it up there to tease people. Where is/was the loading area in Tomorrowland? When I was younger I used to always stand as close as I could to where the cars came out of the Fantasyland loading area and wonder where they would have ended up
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I remember it, but never rode it. I wish I had
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    I must confess to something dumb I did on it a long time ago back in 1992. Me and some friends decided we were going to ride it and we grabbed ketchup and mustard packets from Pecos Bills. We popped those bad boys open and started dive bombing people. I must say looking back on it how dumb it was but I was 15 at the time. Not much in the way of common sense when you are a mischevious teenager.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    I was lucky, I got to ride it once on my first visit to WDW back in 1999.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Fortunately, I got to ride it many times. It was very soothing, and a great way to view what was goiing on in the park. We even got to ride it a couple times when there was a firework show--Absolutely breath-taking.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribbean Lady View Post
    Where is/was the loading area in Tomorrowland?
    Between the Carousel of Progress and Space Mountain. There is a fairly large, plain building with bathrooms. If you go to the left end of it (closer to Space Mountain) you can see a waterfall and above that was the loading area.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    I must confess to something dumb I did on it a long time ago back in 1992. Me and some friends decided we were going to ride it and we grabbed ketchup and mustard packets from Pecos Bills. We popped those bad boys open and started dive bombing people. I must say looking back on it how dumb it was but I was 15 at the time. Not much in the way of common sense when you are a mischevious teenager.
    my stepson who was about 9 at the time was dropping pennies on people.......the boys were in a seperate car from us

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    my stepson who was about 9 at the time was dropping pennies on people.......the boys were in a seperate car from us

I don't recall ever hitting anyone but if I remember right it was on purpose. I may have been mischevious but not out to ruin anyones experience...lol I kinda wonder to this day how we never got caught.

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    i love hearing the rumors about what might eventually become of the space used for this ride!

Vegitabeta is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    I was lucky, I got to ride it once on my first visit to WDW back in 1999.
    Same here, only rode it once. We have a video of ourselves on it, it looked pretty windy!
    "The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow." It has such a lovely ring to it...-Captain Jack Sparrow
    Disneyland Resort Paris trip report and photos: Here

MousePad and Magical Mountain Member

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    my 80-something year old grandma still remembers riding that ride. haha, it was a great bird's eye view of the park. There were so many visible changes from the 70's to the 90's...
    The Goofy Princess

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    There are photos taken from the skyway in 1996 on my web site:

http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/tr1e.htm

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast