Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Does anyone else miss the OLD Epcot? in the I Remember... forums; I also wish they still had some of the "old" attractions, but to tell the truth, I'm just happy to be there. I do wish my kids could have seen ...
    firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I also wish they still had some of the "old" attractions, but to tell the truth, I'm just happy to be there. I do wish my kids could have seen Horizons and the Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder and Figment.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiddenmickeyboy View Post
    Cranium Command is still there.
    It's open seasonally and scheduled to close permanently if it hasn't already at this point.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I miss Food Rocks and World of Motion. I am glad that we got soarin but Test Track is old and very over-rated. I pretty much would change Epcot drastically if I took it over in the imagineering department but that is going off topic...

cheshire_cat_81 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I visited EPCOT Center for the first time at the age of three in 1984. Even then I liked it more than the magic kingdom. When I think about what has been done to JIYI, it makes me sick. A skunk smell is NOT imagination. For those of you who haven't ever seen the original, look it up on you tube. It is in three different parts. That was some groundbreaking stuff. I miss WOM too, but the other heartbreaker is Horizons. Maybe I miss the memories from the trips I have taken, but I just think Epcot was a better park. It's still my favorite, hands down, but I think Disney has lost that leading edge they were on in the 80s. The things that were there were sooooo futuristic. I also miss the old spaceship earth, but I am looking forward to see what Siemens is going to do with it. And take that stupid hand off of Spaceship Earth!!!

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

totally agree!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post! Yay for me, lol.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more! I remember the first time that I went to WDW in '86 (I was 5), I was completely mesmerized by (what was then) Epcot Center. Although EPCOT is still my favorite park, I really get nostalgic for the original Journey Into Imagination, and Horizons. Even though EPCOT was originally supposed to be "character-free," I still love the old photographs of myself with Mickey and Minnie in those cool 80's space suits. Between my young age and the whole experience at that time, I think back of Epcot Center as being just so big and magestic and wonderful.... completely transported into a different world.

Ahh, memories

paul mex is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    It's open seasonally and scheduled to close permanently if it hasn't already at this point.
    While this subjects open ,Can anyone tell me why Cranium Command ,Body wars and the Making of me, are open for such a short time, The offical Disney site says May 20th 2007 to May 31st 2007 11days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont get it, Ive only ever got to see Body wars once and that was 1996 ish!
    cheers Paul

andyznuff is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm really glad that a lot of people feel the way I do about the "old" EPCOT. The very first time I went to WDW was in 1985 with my best friend and his family and it was EPCOT that I went to first, not MK. That will forever be my favorite time as I was then introduced to Horizons and World of Motion. I was more in shock and amazed that a world like that could and did exist. Even though I now go to WDW several times a year, 1985 in EPCOT will remain the most magical for me. If Disney is reading this.............BRING BACK HORIZONS!!!!

JennD is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I miss Horizens so much - I loved the part where you could smell the oranges! Whenever I smell the scent of an orange, it brings back memories of that ride!

I also miss the original Journey into Imagination and Dreamworks! That was my absolute favorite as a child!!!! I wish they could bring it back!!!!!
    Jenn

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    I miss all the hands on activities associated with Journey into Imagination. This is probably dating me, but I remember this just after EPCOT opened.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by paul mex View Post
    While this subjects open ,Can anyone tell me why Cranium Command ,Body wars and the Making of me, are open for such a short time, The offical Disney site says May 20th 2007 to May 31st 2007 11days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont get it, Ive only ever got to see Body wars once and that was 1996 ish!
    cheers Paul
    From what I understand they are planning to completely close this pavillion and retheme it and while the plans are being worked out they are only opening it for short stints here and there... presumably to save some cash for the refurb (don't have to air condition the huge building all the time etc.).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

paul mex is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    From what I understand they are planning to completely close this pavillion and retheme it and while the plans are being worked out they are only opening it for short stints here and there... presumably to save some cash for the refurb (don't have to air condition the huge building all the time etc.).
    Ahhh Thats why I never get to see it Sounds like I never will if it gets turned into something else
    Thanks for reply Bamajnn cheers paul

JQuatt21 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I think that the "seas with nemo and friends" is kind of away fromthe original theme of what epcot was suppose to be. Someone said above that they miss the original living seas. I do too. I loved sea base alpha and the great seafood that they had there. I guess I am like most people in this thread that do not like change...
    Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
    Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
    Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
    Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
    Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    "We have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment." -Walt Disney

I'm of the mindset that you can have fun and be entertained at the same time. I think that is what they should be striving for when updating Epcot. I am more interested in World Showcase, etc. now, but the first time I was there I was 13 and I absolutely hated it. So, I can understand why they started updating in the first place in order to make it more appealing to kids and teenagers. I also really believe that they need to get back to Walt's original idea. They've strayed way too far from it.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Over the years, Epcot has gotten so much slack for being "too educational" and "not for kids". Frankly, that's just not true!!!! I feel this is why they have changed so much of Future World. I can understand updating and becoming more technologically advanced, but can't there be an even mix of Nostalgic Disney and New Disney? I wish there was room for Horizons and Mission:Space to exist together.

And please...remove the hand and wand!!!! Spaceship Earth is not nearly appreciated as much because of it. That structure is a masterpiece and you can't even see it. I sooooooo treasure my 1992 Epcot pictures!!!!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast