Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Does anyone else miss the OLD Epcot? in the I Remember... forums; yep they could have kept all the oldies and added new ones theres pleanty of room...
    croc614 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    yep they could have kept all the oldies and added new ones theres pleanty of room

kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I do agree with people that say we are just nostalgic for the old day.I was 7 in 1983 and when we went I remember liking EPCOT but it didnt have a totallt right feel to me.Now I enjoy thinking of the future from to 80s those attractions really wouldnt fit tooo weel now,SSE did predict what the internet would do for us. But now kids have amazing technology in there own rooms.The world is connected better,and I think EPCOT would be extremely hard Star Trek for me outdated

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I'm getting old so I'm of the opinion that things are always better in the past. Horizons, WOM, Kitchen Kaberet, Energy without that ellen person... it was so much better!!!
    OK, the Astuter Computer Review blew but the exception proves the rule. Anyways, I was at E.P.C.O.T.(Yes I use periods. I'm old-school, remember!) this past December and it was a shadow of its former self. I wish I had a time machine... But if E.P.C.O.T. had a time machine they'd probably replace it with something lamer.

StephlovesWDW is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Buffalo, New York- too far and too cold to be remotely considered anywhere near central Florida :(
    I never got to experience Epcot Center the way other people had go to The first time I visited Epcot was this past October and a lot of the 'better' Epcot rides were no longer there . Oh- and Mission Space is WAY overrated! I wanted to go on soo bad expecting it to be an intense thrill, but it really let me down.
    Last edited by StephlovesWDW; 08-20-2008 at 04:11 PM.

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Great points!

Epcot used to be our favorite park - lots of great surprises and educational stuff in the Innoventions area - now it seems mainly a walk-through advertisement for sponsor corporations. The Living Seas was amazing (I loved those hydrolators!) and now it is just another cartoonized ride to boost souvenir sales of an animated flick. I suppose The Land ride will be next to go. The last three times we have been there, Wonders of Life has been locked up entirely, and the Odyssey restaurant... and I miss pedaling those video bikes through "Disney." We don't even go on "Imigination" any more. The "Shrunk the Audience" film is soooo outdated... There seems to be little to do in Future World and we are quickly gone to World Showcase (very much in need of something new, but at least very familiar and charming.) Of course, there is an upside - Test Track, Soaring and Mission Space are incredible rides with at least some element of educational value, and Spaceship Earth has been upgraded without losing the original appeal. It is true that the "futurist" theming is hard to keep up, but I do miss that excitement that came with the earlier years of Epcot.

actorcoop is offline A-Ticket holder
    I really feel that at the moment, Disney is focusing elsewhere in the parks. There have many exciting new things popping up within the last few years at Disney. (to name a few: Expedition Everest, the big Space Mountain facelift, the new 20,000 leagues attraction....) Unfortunately, it seems most of Disney's mind and money is elsewhere, making Epcot one of the last places to be affected financially.

As EPCOT stands right now-- We need not worry about the world showcase, for it is just as beautiful as it ever was! However the heart and soul of Epcot feels a bit like broken bits and pieces left in a pile since the nineties to collect dust....

out of all the parks, EPCOT shouldn't be about remembering it's golden age! It should be about advancements in knowledge, a whole new age of discovery even! Disney must wake EPCOT up from it's 20th century hibernation before Epcot falls into a more than minor disarray....

Don't get me wrong! Spaceship Earth has undergone great refurb recently! Fantastic! Now-- All that we need is Disney to bring back the TRUE values of this glorious park--
    To bring EPCOT center back to life!

...just my two cents.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    Cheers and more Cheers for Nick and Mini V!!!!!!!!!
    I could not say it any better,and I will not try to do so.You both have made a perfect statement about DisneyWorld TOTALLY!
    I agree with you both 100%!!!!!!!!
    We older folks have great memories of the parks as they once were.But now,let's allow our kids to build their memories on what the parks are now,for them!
    Technology has progressed,so must we as well.Everyone,hold on to the great memories that you all have of DisneyWorld,YOUR DisneyWorld!But let's not long for the past Disney and have sadness because some of our dearest attractions are gone.Let's look at the present DisneyWorld and enjoy it with all of our hearts,and add to those existing memories,these new ones that will last a lifetime.But most of all,let's all be respectful to our "Uncle Walt",and remember that he always said that DisneyWorld would always be changing along with the times as we look ahead to a..."GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMMORROW"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I can't tell you how much I miss the old EPCOT Center.

I could write a 10 page rant on this topic going attraction by attraction, music theme by theme, etc. But I will leave you with these three points:

1. I am very interested in the rumors for Imagination 4.0 and the return of Dreamfinder (hopefully, after they return Figment back to his childish innocence, and away from his irritating mischievous alter-ego).

2. Can someone fix the fountains around the Imagination gardens?! I thought Imagineering & the parks were about the details. What am I supposed to get about a "jumping fountain" where only 30% work?! (Maybe Dreamfinder took care of them back in the day)

3. All the changes from the 80's until today has solidified one thing in my mind: If they ever think of doing anything to the American Adventure, they should think again. And again. And think some more. This is the only "sacred" part of EPCOT Center left.

RIP
    • Horizons
    • World of Motion
    • Kitchen Kabaret
    • Magic Jouneys
    • Captain EO
    • Imagination 1.0
    • Dreamfinder
    • Figment 1.0
    • Spaceship Earth with Cronkite
    • El Rio del Tiempo
    • "Tomorrow's Child"
    • That awesome gift shop in Communicore

LivLuvsTink is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I miss Cranium Command sooooo much! The other thing I miss is Tapestry of Dreams parade. That was amazing. My bro listens to the audio from that all the time.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Does anyone else miss the OLD Epcot?

yes miss the old park. it was fun had more rides and more to see.
    J&J

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I didn't get to see EPCOT until 1991 then again in 92. I didn't go back to the World until 2005. When we went back to EPCOT I wasn't expecting such a big change. I do miss a few of the old sites and sounds.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

WDWGWH is offline A-Ticket holder

It certainly seems that Disney listens to their fans more than most companies these days, so lets always just hope what tomorrow might bring.

1975 Off-site
    1978 Off-site
    1993 Off-site
    1999 Radisson Resort Parkway
    2000 Carribean Beach
    2004 Gaylord Palms
    2005 Sheraton Vistana
    2007 Villas at Wilderness Lodge
    5/2008 Villas at Wilderness Lodge
    10/2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
    6/2009 Boarldwalk Villas

Chairman Clench is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lunar Disneyland - The Happiest Place Off Earth.

I, also, miss the old EPCOT. I loved the retro logos each ride had.

Horizons, World of Motion, Journey into Imagination, The Living Seas... it's just not the same without them.
    L.C. Clench
    Chairman, X-S Tech

"Seize the Future!"

"If something can't be done with X-S, then it shouldn't be done at all!"

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Clench View Post
    I, also, miss the old EPCOT. I loved the retro logos each ride had.

Horizons, World of Motion, Journey into Imagination, The Living Seas... it's just not the same without them.
    You are so right! I agree with you 100%!
    I want the older Epcot back also!
    Park Hopper Dad!

DHI
    DHI is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    You are so right! I agree with you 100%!
    I want the older Epcot back also!
    at least they can still be found on the fastpass distributers...
    Wishin' I was in the World

What will you CELEBRATE!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast