Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Does anyone else miss the OLD Epcot? in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by Fun2BFree OK, thanks for the judgment. My response is simply... no. Why do you jump from my opinions about current Future World to a blanket "negative, nostalgic ...
    mrp769854 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Does anyone else miss the OLD Epcot?

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    OK, thanks for the judgment. My response is simply... no.

Why do you jump from my opinions about current Future World to a blanket "negative, nostalgic and hateful of change?"

You can enjoy the current attractions as they are, but I can't help but see them as a step down. I'm for change - as long as it's an enhancement. (I loved POTC & HM enhancements, as well as O, Canada.) I feel most of these changes represent a large step away from what Epcot was meant to be, and each step adds up. I feel you don't need rides that spin you in a centrifuge or speed you at 65 mph to stay relevant or keep kids interested. I enjoyed Horizons, World of Motion, Kitchen Kabaret, SeaBase Alpha, Journey into Imagination 1.0 as a kid! I think they could have enhanced and upgraded the attractions without extracting the intellectual & educational aspects, and without injecting Disney characters. Future World is no longer about the future - it's about "another place to stick rides." That upsets me.

OK, so you want me to stuff it and enjoy the new rides? Mission: Space is cool, but its one and done for me. I didn't need that 2 hour headache. Test Track is disappointing. Journey is terrible. Honey I Shrunk the Kids is over a decade outdated. Energy with Ellen - naptime. Nemo is ok, not great. Turtle Talk and Soarin' are the only two "new" attractions worth its salt, but tell me what Soarin' (Over California) has to do with the Land?

Call me "close-minded and one-sided." I don't care. I simply expect more out of Imagineering, and I will criticize if I feel it is deserved. And if they feel the park needs to be "dumbed down" to bring the kids in, then that says a lot either about our youth, Disney's perception of our youth, or Disney's consideration of those that enjoy an educational experience.

We can have our opinions about Epcot. What I don't appreciate is your opinion about me personally.
    This is exactly my thoughts on all the change that has happened since i first went to EPCOT, of course i don't remember, i was like 1, but when i went they had Horizons, World of Motion, the original Imagination and it was easily my favorite park as a kid. I loved Spaceship Earth, i loved Horizons, i loved Imagination, that was me and my sister's favorite ride, and i loved everything in the land.

The part where EPCOT has been dumbed down is spot on especially with the new Judy Dench narration of Spaceship Earth. That's all i could think of the first time I rode it.

The refurbs to each pavilion have strayed away from the original intent of EPCOT. The land.. It's now the EPCOT Center Airport, i love Soarin' but, it just doesn't fit right. I've never thought of the theme for test track but i don't see it educating. But, the worst in my opinion is the new Imagination. Exploring the senses does not invoke my imagination i just find it worthless. i always felt the educational feel was so important to the park

i don't know what to say about it but the more epcot changes the less it is what was originally envisioned for EPCOT Center

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I think the inclusion of those Balzac kiosks everywhere sums up how EPCOT has changed: They're turning it into a giant shopping mall. Less experiences more shopping.
    That should be EPCOT's new slogan.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

My first time in Epcot was in 1987,just 5 yeras after it opened.I would believe it was still the same in 1987 as it was it was in 1982 when it opened.if it was still the same when I first went there,then that's what I want to see again.But will we EVER get back MOST of our old Epcot,I really doubt it.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mrp769854 View Post
    This is exactly my thoughts on all the change that has happened since i first went to EPCOT, of course i don't remember, i was like 1, but when i went they had Horizons, World of Motion, the original Imagination and it was easily my favorite park as a kid. I loved Spaceship Earth, i loved Horizons, i loved Imagination, that was me and my sister's favorite ride, and i loved everything in the land.

The part where EPCOT has been dumbed down is spot on especially with the new Judy Dench narration of Spaceship Earth. That's all i could think of the first time I rode it.

The refurbs to each pavilion have strayed away from the original intent of EPCOT. The land.. It's now the EPCOT Center Airport, i love Soarin' but, it just doesn't fit right. I've never thought of the theme for test track but i don't see it educating. But, the worst in my opinion is the new Imagination. Exploring the senses does not invoke my imagination i just find it worthless. i always felt the educational feel was so important to the park

i don't know what to say about it but the more epcot changes the less it is what was originally envisioned for EPCOT Center
    After riding Spaceship Earth 4.0 (I think), all I kept thinking was, "Was her script trying to be cute, or do they think we're morons?"

It's a darn shame. Epcot had such character, and now all the character remains in World Showcase alone IMHO.

I went to EPCOT Center for the 1st time in Feb 1983, and I was 8. The wonder of the future was mesmerizing. I distinctly remember being in the post-show of WoM and seeing the "future car" in the aerodynamics exhibit. I was totally wowed (and I happened to have learned what aerodynamics was right then and there).

Future World seems to have lost the wonder, fascination and glory it once had.

(Notice KINGCRAB made his post and didn't stick around for debate.)

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    My first time in Epcot was in 1987,just 5 yeras after it opened.I would believe it was still the same in 1987 as it was it was in 1982 when it opened.if it was still the same when I first went there,then that's what I want to see again.But will we EVER get back MOST of our old Epcot,I really doubt it.
    I was there 2/83. A few differences:
    • Horizons opened a year after EPCOT opened
    • Journey Into Imagination was just Imageworks and Magic Eye Theater; the ride opened later
    • Magic Journeys (Captain EO came in 1986)
    • Norway wasn't there
    • Living Seas opened in 1986

Even though the park wasn't complete, I still loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    I was there 2/83. A few differences:
    • Horizons opened a year after EPCOT opened
    • Journey Into Imagination was just Imageworks and Magic Eye Theater; the ride opened later
    • Magic Journeys (Captain EO came in 1986)
    • Norway wasn't there
    • Living Seas opened in 1986

Even though the park wasn't complete, I still loved it!
    Yeah,I remember that Norway wasn't there as well.But that was the only country added since Epcot opened.I did see Captain EO with Michael Jackson,once,then the following year it was gone and Honey/Shrank was there.Journey ride was there in '87 when we went for our first time.Everything else you mentioned was there in '87.I can barely remember the two communicore bldgs,as to what was in them.That was cool in one of them,with the hands on exhibits.But that's about all I remember.What was in the building on the rightside as you are walking towards world showcase?
    Park Hopper Dad!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah,I remember that Norway wasn't there as well.But that was the only country added since Epcot opened.

Not quite, read this Morocco (Epcot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    You're exactly right.I stand corrected,SIR!
    Actually, re-reading my own post,what I meant was that Norway was the only country that has been added since my first time at Epcot,which was in 1987,so for me,Morocco was already there,but Norway was built sometime after that.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

I was there the first year it opened and it was a ghost town. I loved it, but there was very little to do. I would like some fusion between the two. Have you noticed a lot of the souvenirs are getting very 80's retro with the old Epcot logos?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I was there the first year it opened and it was a ghost town. I loved it, but there was very little to do. I would like some fusion between the two. Have you noticed a lot of the souvenirs are getting very 80's retro with the old Epcot logos?

Yeah,I've seen some magnets like that as well.I collect magnets because they don't take up alot of room and they are cheap.But there are retro magnets too.I like retro!
    Park Hopper Dad!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I think what Disney is missing is that the "T" in EPCOT stands for Tomorrow. What's so 'tomorrow' about the testing of current car technology, hang gliding, seeing fish swim, or putting out fires? Horizons was on the right track, but man that ride was LONG. These days, Future World is not more future than Tomorrowland. It's a shame that they seem to be missing the very essence around which the park was intended. If the most 'tomorrow' they can show to us is riding a Segway, I mean c'mon -- does anyone even look twice at those things these days? Honey I Shrunk the Audience? CLOSE IT already. As for mrp769854's comment about Judi Dench, that is the same sentiment I felt after seeing it during a soft opening day. I left there disliking the new narration (not to mention the touch screens weren't up and running yet) and wondering why they decided to dumb down the talk (however, the new animatronics are awesome). Still, the park is seroiusly lacking in all things 'future', they way it was in the past. As you walk in, the offices on the right side of the park have the old EPCOT logos in the glass, so it's a great way to feel nostalgic about the old park.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I think what Disney is missing is that the "T" in EPCOT stands for Tomorrow. What's so 'tomorrow' about the testing of current car technology, hang gliding, seeing fish swim, or putting out fires? Horizons was on the right track, but man that ride was LONG. These days, Future World is not more future than Tomorrowland. It's a shame that they seem to be missing the very essence around which the park was intended. If the most 'tomorrow' they can show to us is riding a Segway, I mean c'mon -- does anyone even look twice at those things these days? Honey I Shrunk the Audience? CLOSE IT already. As for mrp769854's comment about Judi Dench, that is the same sentiment I felt after seeing it during a soft opening day. I left there disliking the new narration (not to mention the touch screens weren't up and running yet) and wondering why they decided to dumb down the talk (however, the new animatronics are awesome). Still, the park is seroiusly lacking in all things 'future', they way it was in the past. As you walk in, the offices on the right side of the park have the old EPCOT logos in the glass, so it's a great way to feel nostalgic about the old park.
    You've got it right on,Supernova! What happened to the tomorrow in the acronym E.P.C.O.T? I haven't been on Spaceship Earth since it has been rehabbed,or should I say,recycled? But why,I'll never know,why they took out the narration by Walter Cronkite.if anyone's voice is good for narration,it definitely is his.I know who Judy Dench is,I've seen her on the Brit com,As Time Goes By,but as for her voice...........well,let's just say,a mouthful of marbles?
    I hope and wish,that these so-called"imagineers" would come in these forums and read these threads and maybe then,they'll see what all of US has been talking about all along.
    I could do better than they are,and I have no experience in that field at all.Apparently,they don't either!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    You're right. Epcot was designed to be about tomorrow. They say Walt's biggest disappointment was that he could never get a hold of the future because as he built it, it became the past.
    Tim

Tim

Yeah,I've seen some magnets like that as well.I collect magnets because they don't take up alot of room and they are cheap.But there are retro magnets too.I like retro!
    The shirts and hats too now have the old logos. I was there last week and they had brown t-shirts with the horrible color combos only found in the 80's and the shirt said EPCOT Center as opposed to Epcot. It was pretty neat.
    Tim

mag315 is offline A-Ticket holder

I absolutely do miss the old Epcot. Change for change's sake is never a good thing in my opinion.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast