Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Whatever happened to discovery island in bay lake? in the I Remember... forums; This maybe a silly question but I remember visiting a loooong time ago...and haven't thought about it since. Is it still there?...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Whatever happened to discovery island in bay lake?

This maybe a silly question but I remember visiting a loooong time ago...and haven't thought about it since. Is it still there?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Still there,very wild and overgrown and literally covered in bird droppings.

Somewhat redundant after DAK opened, it was subsequently closed. It's been the the subject of numerous rumors over the years, from a MYST-themed type adventure to recent speculation involving POTC tie-ins.

Likely it will remain unused due mainly to its inaccessibility and the necessary $ it would take to clean and fix it up.
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

Since1994 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Discovery Island moved into Animal Kingdom, if you notice on the park map there is a section of the park named as Discovery Island.
    When I was younger I loved going on the boat to the little island. Its become one of these forgotten treasures.
    Magical Wishes to you all
    Nikki

I love & WDW Radio

NH Disney Drmr is offline B-Ticket Holder
    New Hampshire - too far away from the magic :(
    Disneydarling...just gotta say, I love your picture of the Disney princess. It is the funniest thing. It fits right in with my girls. They love those faces.
    NH Disney Drmr

October 5, 2013....Mother
    & Daughter trip. She's 16, I'm 40+...Who says Disney is just for kids.

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    They should refurb it into something exclusive. They could make some serious money.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

It would be great to have that fixed up! I never got the chance to go, and I'd love to see it put to good use. On another section of this site, there was discussion of Adventureland to have a total Pirate theme and to have Tom Sawyer Island be refurbed into a Pirate Island. While I think that doing that would be going too far, I think that turning the old Discovery Island into a Pirate Island would be great! Yes, they "moved it" to DAK, but it doesn't have that charm that a little island has, it's seems more real. They could really do a lot with the pirate theme!
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Here is an old thread about Discovery Island....http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...at-island.html
    It really was a beautiful place, it's so sad what has happened to it and Disney just lets it sit there like that while they build more DVC's.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

EpcotCenter1 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I got some info on Discovery Island Here: UnDiscovery Island
    -EC1

If you can dream it, you can do it!

friendly frog is offline A-Ticket holder
    I only went to Discovery Island once, just before it closed. As a bird lover, I was in heaven. It was also a relaxing break from the fast pace of the parks. Nice white sand beaches and all the birds...I could have laid n a hammock and stayed a lifetime.....
    Last edited by friendly frog; 08-24-2007 at 12:15 AM.

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It's too bad it had to close...I would love to see it again!!!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Heard a bit of a strange rumour the other day, apparantly some security personnel found some tents and a fire and food suggesting people had been living there. Dont hold me to it though not sure if its true or not.

Ruddy

mag315 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Whatever happened to discovery island in bay lake?

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    Heard a bit of a strange rumour the other day, apparantly some security personnel found some tents and a fire and food suggesting people had been living there. Dont hold me to it though not sure if its true or not.
    Rats, they found my hideout.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Widen Your World - Treasure Island / Discovery Island
    Click above to read all about Discovery Island .

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

My first trip ever to WDW was August 1999. I suspected with AK just recently opening up there was a chance they'd close Discovery Island and ship all the animals to AK. I wasn't able to verify this with anyone until I actually arrived at WDW, only to find it had closed for good just 4 months prior. Always regretted missing it.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

mrwdwfan is offline A-Ticket holder

I vaguely remember discovery island, I was only 6 when it closed but I went in 96' and 98'. Although it's gone, now we have animal kingdom.
    <Ultimate Disney Geek>