Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Old Welcoming Radio???? in the I Remember... forums; I remember as a kid when we would get close enough to the MK there was a AM radio station that you could listen to....Does anyone else remember this????...
    Leaflic is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile Old Welcoming Radio????

I remember as a kid when we would get close enough to the MK there was a AM radio station that you could listen to....Does anyone else remember this????

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Oh yes!! FINALLY someone remembers what I always mention to people (but get funny stares). There was an AM radio station that had signs telling what to tune into (in the 600s I believe) and they told you about what was going, attractions, etc. I can't find much out there, and certainly no audio , but will try and dig up some of teh old info I have on the exact stations and when they stopped braodcasting
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
    Oh yes!! FINALLY someone remembers what I always mention to people (but get funny stares). There was an AM radio station that had signs telling what to tune into (in the 600s I believe) and they told you about what was going, attractions, etc. I can't find much out there, and certainly no audio , but will try and dig up some of teh old info I have on the exact stations and when they stopped braodcasting
    If you asked me I coulda told you I remembered them too ! , I never tuned them in cuz I didn't drive to the parks then.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Oh yeah I remember that! That was always how my sister and I would know that we were getting close to the world. That and the Welcome Center in Ocala.

How I miss the good old days!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Yep - I remember it very well. (The ORIGINAL WDW RADIO!!!) After a 1300 mile drive crammed in the back of a Dodge station wagon fighting with my siblings for 2 days - to hear that AM station driving up World Drive ... was like MAGIC! And different broadcast at night - info about the gas station, if your car doesn't start and directions to highways, I think. It was just one more thing that added uniqueness to the trip.

Addendum...

Just found this regarding current the broadcasting:
    "Four low-power radio signals on three AM frequencies keep Vacation Kingdom visitors abreast of Walt Disney World information. Guests can tune in to 1030 (driving toward the Magic Kingdom), 900 (exiting the Magic Kingdom), 810 (entering Epcot) and 900 (exiting Epcot). "
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 09-05-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Cool

I found some listings of low-power transmitters in FL:
    ( Florida Low Power Radio Stations )

810 (TIS) EPCOT Center, Lake Buena Vista; here and on 900 kHz years ago, prossibly inactive, as not heard June, 2000

900 (TIS) EPCOT Center, Lake Buena Vista; definitely inactive per December, 1997 check.

1030 (TIS) Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista; similar to 810/900 EPCOT outlets. Presumaby inactive, as not heard June, 2000

1200 (TIS) Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista; see 1030. Presumably inactive, as not heard June, 2000

also...

107.5 MHz (TIS) WLGD "Disney Radio", Columbia City; inactive on checks in June, 2001, and does not seem to be listed in the FCC dB any more. Was active since at least early 1993, "Florida's In-car Welcoming Station" with an aproximately 15 minute loop promoting the theme park and syndicated weather. Location given as Columbia, Florida (actually Columbia City). Full stereo, signal range was 35-40 miles. Formerly listed with experimental calls KA2XXZ, 250 watts directional. Moved from 107.9 MHz mid-1997 with the activation of WLQH, Chiefland on 107.9 MHz. Used Yagi antenna on 130-foot tower, beaming the signal up the north approach of I-75 from near the I-10/I-75 interchange. Was licensed to Ranch & Grove Holding Corporation.

marni1971 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My "WDW Transport - a history" video at MouseBits has the full 1990 transmission

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I remember the radio station well. We listened to it every time we went to WDW from our earliest trip in 1972 through sometime in the early 1990's.

I really loved listening to it even when we weren't going to WDW. Anytime we were near WDW, we'd tune in the station and listen. I also remember the signs that were posted on World Drive giving the radio info.

I think they did away with the broadcasts after they started Radio Disney. I'm not sure if Radio Disney took the spot where the WDW Info used to be broadcast.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I absolutely remember this! We had our radios on even before we got into range, just to make sure we didn't miss a word!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I loved that station, you knew you had really "arrived" when you heard that come on the radio. I wonder why they discontinued it?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

MKRob is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have the WDW Radio Info broadcast as you drove down World Dr saved on my computer and on a cd. I found it playing on live365 Mouse World Radio. I have AllRecord Software on my computer. As soon as I hear something I want to save, I hit record and save it. I have so many cds with “the sounds of Disney”. I wish they still had the Disney Radio while driving between Lake City and Ocala. I loved hearing Jiminy Crickett telling me to keep sun block on or I would burn from the Hot Florida sun.
    Zip A Dee Doo Dah…Zip A Dee Day
    More Disney Fun Is On The Way
    Stay Tuned For Lots Of Fun Things
    To Zip A Dee Doo During Your Stay
    Up Next ~ Water Parks! Retro Resort TV

If you can't be there...be here!

Now I Wish I Was Standing Line!!!!!

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    ^^Cause "I'm no fool no sireee, I wanna live to be 103"

I used to love this, with the old brown National Park looking signs along World Drive and you would tune in. As I recall there were several variations of the broadcast which including clips from different CMs. Like "Hi, I'm Rob and I work at River Country....." and we would all yell back at the radio "Hi, Rob!"