Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake? in the I Remember... forums; I would have to imagine that were they still selling A-E ticket books at $15 a pop like they did in the 70's they'd have filed bankruptcy a couple of ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

I would have to imagine that were they still selling A-E ticket books at $15 a pop like they did in the 70's they'd have filed bankruptcy a couple of decades ago.

Blackjack Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder

For me, the most irritating thing about Disney price increases is how much greater they are than the rate of inflation. It really is pure greed, and more and more, it's at the expense of the guest experience.
    Joe.

coconut wireles is offline B-Ticket Holder

People are still buying the tickets so they feel that they are receiving a benefit worth the price paid. Spending money on Disney is totally discretionary. They are not forcing anyone to take the money out of their pocket and turn it over to them. The yeti is broken, the cloud cover is gone, the pigeon of death is not working and yet people still ride Everest. Disney doesn't have an incentive to fix it because while people may complain, they still enter the park, hike to the back, get sweaty in the hot weather and wait in line in order to get the thrill. Until enough people stay home, stop buying products or services and keep the money in their wallet and not handing it over to Disney or any other corporation, the companies will continue to do what they do to make a profit.
    Host of the Meandering Mouse Club TV and Trapped in Paradise video podcasts.

Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland Resort June 2007, Walt Disney World December 2007, Disneyland (Original Anaheim Kingdom) May 2009, Disneyland Paris Resort October 2008.

Veteran of all 11 global theme parks

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Obviously, this poll needs to be revised. The list of choices is not NEARLY as comprehensive as it needs to be at this time.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Joe View Post
    For me, the most irritating thing about Disney price increases is how much greater they are than the rate of inflation. It really is pure greed, and more and more, it's at the expense of the guest experience.

Nice to see you back!

Yep. It is nuts and making it impossible for many of us to go as often as we had or for as long of vacation as we once did. Once both of my kids were adults at 9 years old it became ruff. We learned when we booked a package through the WDW Travel Co we could get a Jr. rate for 9-17. It helped at little. We also really mapped out a few vacations to get a couple of long trips in on annual pass 11 1/2 months apart.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I would have to imagine that were they still selling A-E ticket books at $15 a pop like they did in the 70's they'd have filed bankruptcy a couple of decades ago.
    I just pulled out my ticket books. $13 for what was printed on outside of booklet as a 2 day junior and $15 for the adult version. $.50 tax.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I just pulled out my ticket books. $13 for what was printed on outside of booklet as a 2 day junior and $15 for the adult version. $.50 tax.
    2 day?

I didn't realize they offered those back then.

Do you know what year?

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I've probably commented on this thread but I am going to again. Disney's biggest mistake hands down,is their GREED! Greed is what has caused the prices to sky rocket! Nothing else. You can't tell me,that costs have gone up so we must pass it on down to the guests.Sure costs have gone up,but that is because of the gas prices,however, instead of wanting to put "this much" in their stinking greedy pockets, why in the world can't they just put an smaller amount in their pockets until all of this stuff starts getting back to normal; and after we have a new occupant in the White House? That is where most of this junk lies! But anyway, in '07 we completed a 10 yr trek to WDW and in '08 I was laid off and that ended our trips to WDW.But with the costs as high as they are now; I am not seeing me and my family ever getting to go back there again. Sad,really sad.That some greedy "blankity blanks" can cause most average families to not get to go to WDW anymore. I am not sure at this point, but I would venture to say that a one day one park ticket is probably $100 now,or pretty **** close to it! If Walt were born later in the 1900's and was still alive today, I can guarentee he wouldn't allow prices to be as high as they are now. I am a Christian and I make no beans about it; so this is why I said that; I sure would hate to be in the shoes of those that stand before God in their judgment that were the ones that raised the prices on everything at WDW,which prevented so many people from being able to go there. Because they will have to answer to God about their GREED, not necessarily the prices, but their sinful GREED! I'm done now.
    Park Hopper Dad!

I'm no economist, but can you please show your work?

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I'm with ya... But keep something in mind... I found this info... In 1959 a Disneyland A-e ticket book cost $3.50... By 1964 that price rose to $5.65... I think Uncle Walt was a business man like everyone else... So to say we wouldnt have prices like we have today is premature... We don't know... I agree maybe the prices wouldn't raise that much but look at the facts... In 5 years it went up over $2... It is greed yes... Coupled with cost of living, maintenance and salaries... Every time Disney builds again whether it be fantasyland or shanghai... Their getting money from somewhere... And most definitely it is from us... I understand your feelings and I agree that they should be a bit more fair in terms of making a vacation affordable because it can get real expensive for a family on a budget... Unfortunately for all of us it is all around... Food, gas and all... Couple that with flights, car rentals and hotel stays and your in for a a rather large bill... Oh and a one park no hopper ticket costs $85... Or $90.53 with tax... Your pretty much fit on here...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

If we're going to invoke the name of Walt, it's a double-edged sword: he wasn't a great money manager. Without his brother Roy's help (and investors) WDW would have gone bankrupt several times before Walt's death.
    Last edited by MartianCrab; 04-22-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: sp.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I know some things I said may not be accurate.But what I am mainly trying to get across,is that for a vast majority of us "average Americans",we can't affords to got to WDW anymore because of jobs loss and they high prices of stuff.yeah I figured a one day/one park ticket was very close to $100.So a family of 4 wants to go to all 4 parks at that cost?$1600.00 just to walk in the parks?I know they have that the more days you buy the cheaper each day becomes plan but even so,that is still way too much.Even at $1600.00 that is my house payment 3 times!it's just that when you get to go every year like we did for 10 yrs in a row,and then I lose my job and prices everywhere sky rocket on everything; it dampers the heart and the expectations of ever getting to go back.I know of all the costs it takes to run the WDW property period.But that is being made practically in a day!it's always "pass the costs to the consumer junk",that I am sick of.Greed.
    Park Hopper Dad!

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    If we're going to invoke the name of Walt, it's a double-edged sword: he wasn't a great money manager. Without his brother Roy's help (and investors) WDW would have gone bankrupt several times befoer Walt's death.
    your absolutely right... Walt was terrible with money and even he raised prices... the issue is they are pricing themselves out of the market... and one day people may stop going but the fact still remains... so long as they are still the top vacation destinations in the world that are not going to change a thing... its a sad reality...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

What I think is true of Walt is that (I've read) he cared about average people being able to afford his park. I don't think recent and current regimes are concerned at all about average income families. I also know that the higher prices don't translate into a cleaner, better maintained park. They've traded their fastidiousness for extra profit and it doesn't seem to be hurting their bottom line.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I know some things I said may not be accurate.But what I am mainly trying to get across,is that for a vast majority of us "average Americans",we can't affords to got to WDW anymore because of jobs loss and they high prices of stuff.yeah I figured a one day/one park ticket was very close to $100.So a family of 4 wants to go to all 4 parks at that cost?$1600.00 just to walk in the parks?I know they have that the more days you buy the cheaper each day becomes plan but even so,that is still way too much.Even at $1600.00 that is my house payment 3 times!
    Look, either do your home work or give it a rest.

4 day tickets for four adults only comes to $972. $61 per person, per day. That sounds pretty darn fair to me.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast