Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake? in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by MartianCrab What I think is true of Walt is that (I've read) he cared about average people being able to afford his park. I don't think recent ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    What I think is true of Walt is that (I've read) he cared about average people being able to afford his park. I don't think recent and current regimes are concerned at all about average income families. I also know that the higher prices don't translate into a cleaner, better maintained park. They've traded their fastidiousness for extra profit and it doesn't seem to be hurting their bottom line.
    oh you are right in more ways than you probably know... i would bet they are making a boatload more money % wise than they ever have before...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Look, either do your home work or give it a rest.

4 day tickets for four adults only comes to $972. $61 per person, per day. That sounds pretty darn fair to me.
    There's no need in you getting fiesty with me.If you don't like what I put up; then DON'T READ IT!I can say whatever I choose here just like you can.I am not mean or vulgar and I can vent my frustrations about GREED anyway I choose!So what!So what if I haven't done my homework!I spoke on an average not exacts!I venture to say it's all of those that have "big money" that thinks paying nearly $1000.00 for 4 day tix for 4 is fair!Leave it to us "poor people" to have suffer the price hikes and the mouths of those that CAN afford it! GOOD DAY!
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    What I think is true of Walt is that (I've read) he cared about average people being able to afford his park. I don't think recent and current regimes are concerned at all about average income families. I also know that the higher prices don't translate into a cleaner, better maintained park. They've traded their fastidiousness for extra profit and it doesn't seem to be hurting their bottom line.
    You hit it on the head. I was in Epcot the first day that Test Track was closed. Space Earth was down for hours and so was Maelstrom, actually they wound up closing it for the balance of the evening later on. We transferred over to the MK to catch the Castle show and Wishes, Space Mountain had been down for hours and was still down when we left the park. The cost is definitely not translating into better maintenance and this is one of Disney's bigger mistakes.

If and when Disney goes to the XPass, the maintance will be the downfall. You just can't have big people eater attractions being down for extended periods and XPass succeed. The Laughing Place in Splash Mountain is still broken and a let down as you go through that section.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I know some things I said may not be accurate.But what I am mainly trying to get across,is that for a vast majority of us "average Americans",we can't affords to got to WDW anymore because of jobs loss and they high prices of stuff.yeah I figured a one day/one park ticket was very close to $100.So a family of 4 wants to go to all 4 parks at that cost?$1600.00 just to walk in the parks?I know they have that the more days you buy the cheaper each day becomes plan but even so,that is still way too much.Even at $1600.00 that is my house payment 3 times!it's just that when you get to go every year like we did for 10 yrs in a row,and then I lose my job and prices everywhere sky rocket on everything; it dampers the heart and the expectations of ever getting to go back.I know of all the costs it takes to run the WDW property period.But that is being made practically in a day!it's always "pass the costs to the consumer junk",that I am sick of.Greed.
    I can follow your point. If you figure in the ticket costs, hotel and food, Disney has become out of reach for the average American on an annual basis, even if they have not lost a job. We are no longer the target tourist that Walt once wanted as his clientele.

If you listened to the Presidents speech on Main Street earlier this year it is the foreign tourist that is the target market for Disney. So much that the Government is attempting to change the Visa process to bring in the foreign tourists from Brazil, India and China as many from those countries that do travel have an abundance of money to spend in Disney World. Disney and the Government want to capitalize on that fraction of vacationers. While the majority of the people from those countries are not wealthy, there is a chunk that is and they are willing to drop big dollars while visiting Disney World.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    There's no need in you getting fiesty with me.If you don't like what I put up; then DON'T READ IT!I can say whatever I choose here just like you can.I am not mean or vulgar and I can vent my frustrations about GREED anyway I choose!So what!So what if I haven't done my homework!I spoke on an average not exacts!I venture to say it's all of those that have "big money" that thinks paying nearly $1000.00 for 4 day tix for 4 is fair!Leave it to us "poor people" to have suffer the price hikes and the mouths of those that CAN afford it! GOOD DAY!
    Perhaps you should get out more and find out what being poor really is. Hint: if you're going to WDW you're about as far away from poor as you can get. Try central Africa. Or south Asia. Heck, drive through some inner cities in places like Cleveland. Or Detroit.

I can't afford a brand new Ferrari. But, you don't hear me whining like a little baby about it.

Premium products go for premium prices. If you can't afford it, either find an alternative, or start putting some money away to save up so that you can.

Disney is no different than any other company under the sun. They charge what the market will bear.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HG
    If you figure in the ticket costs, hotel and food, Disney has become out of reach for the average American on an annual basis
    And yet the resort is at capacity pretty much daily.

I can't afford to go to NYC every month for the weekend. No, I'm stuck with St. Louis!!

But, you know what? I figured out a solution. Don't try to go every month!

Gee whiz, you know if we applied that to going to Disney annually...

Good lord, in the past 12 years we've been there twice. '06 and '10. I guess I should be raising the roof over the injustice!!

Perhaps you should get out more and find out what being poor really is. Hint: if you're going to WDW you're about as far away from poor as you can get. Try central Africa. Or south Asia. Heck, drive through some inner cities in places like Cleveland. Or Detroit.

I can't afford a brand new Ferrari. But, you don't hear me whining like a little baby about it.

Premium products go for premium prices. If you can't afford it, either find an alternative, or start putting some money away to save up so that you can.

Disney is no different than any other company under the sun. They charge what the market will bear.
    For your information, I am NOT going to WDW! I lost my **** job in '08 and haven't been back since! Don't throw it in my face about Africa or any other place in this world!I know what being on the lower income scale is like!But you probably never have!I have been to a third world country!I have been to El Salvador and I have seen poor!Not that it's any of your business or that I owe you an explanation! You know what you can do with that ferrari! I'm not whining either.If you don't like what I put up then STOP READING IT! Disney is by far NOT a premium product! it is a great place to go to,but these dumb greedy **** have stuck it to the average American and WE CANNOT afford it anymore!They worship the almighty dollar over providing an affordable vacation place for families! They don't care, and obviously neither do you!It's people like you that WILL save your last dollar just to to stick it in their greedy pockets down there and all of you "don't care how much it costs people", will continue to go and spend the high dollars ,which will prevent them from EVER lowering the prices! So have yourself a nice trip when you walk throught the gates at WDW and FORGET about people like me!
    Yeah you got me started now! I was fine until you ran your mouth about me whining so you want whining;buddy I can give it to you!You should have kept your nose out of us poor people's business.Alas,there will always be people like you!Good Day!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by parkhopperdad
    If you don't like what I put up then STOP READING IT!
    Yet, this same logic doesn't apply to you, is that correct?

If you're unhappy with the money Disney is charging you, then don't patronize their resort. Seems pretty simple.

Disney is by far NOT a premium product!
    Then what are you getting so worked up about? You don't think they offer a premium product (though, I'd like to know which theme park company you feel does it better), and you think they charge too much.

Yet, you still want to attend their resort. Your argument is making no sense.

It's people like you that WILL save your last dollar just to to stick it in their greedy pockets down there and all of you "don't care how much it costs people", will continue to go and spend the high dollars ,which will prevent them from EVER lowering the prices!
    Who is "people like you"? People that attended the park annually from 2000-2008? I certainly don't fit into that category since during that span I visited...once.

I guarantee you that in that span you spent thousands of more dollars there than I did. Tens of thousands.

You should have kept your nose out of us poor people's business.
    I know, but it's one of the things us rich folks do for fun!

Look, I'm sorry you lost your job. The economy is in the tank, and has been for several years. I was out of work twice between 2009 and 2011. I know how it feels. It stinks, and I feel for you trying to raise a family in our current economic environment. But your rage is really off target here.

Either way, I shouldn't have tweaked you like I did, and for that I sincerely apologize. I wish you nothing but the best, and hope things turn around for you.

Yet, this same logic doesn't apply to you, is that correct?

If you're unhappy with the money Disney is charging you, then don't patronize their resort. Seems pretty simple.

Then what are you getting so worked up about? You don't think they offer a premium product (though, I'd like to know which theme park company you feel does it better), and you think they charge too much.

Yet, you still want to attend their resort. Your argument is making no sense.

Who is "people like you"? People that attended the park annually from 2000-2008? I certainly don't fit into that category since during that span I visited...once.

I guarantee you that in that span you spent thousands of more dollars there than I did. Tens of thousands.

I know, but it's one of the things us rich folks do for fun!

Look, I'm sorry you lost your job. The economy is in the tank, and has been for several years. I was out of work twice between 2009 and 2011. I know how it feels. It stinks, and I feel for you trying to raise a family in our current economic environment. But your rage is really off target here.

Either way, I shouldn't have tweaked you like I did, and for that I sincerely apologize. I wish you nothing but the best, and hope things turn around for you.
    Now that the both of us has vented out our frustrations; I accept your apology. You know, it's really not anything you said; it's just as you said at the end, the economy is horrible, prices are higher on everything and a lot of us are still without a job. So sometimes those of us that have tasted of the rough side of life due to whatever; we vent out frustrations sometimes in areas that doesn't even apply. I have mentioned in these forums before, that from 1998 to 2007, we went to WDW 10 years in a row. I had a really good paying job, and we did three vacations a year.Yeah, we were spoiled rotten! But the present circumstances is what causes us to "lose it" sometimes.
    I actually do not mind your rebuttal, it's all true.Yeah we did spend a lot of money those 10 yrs,but we made memories and had quality family time together for a whole week each time with nothing to worry about but having fun altogether.My youngest was only 4 yrs old when we started going; so both of my girls have sorta been raised up at WDW, once a year!
    I have never been "well off",and I certainly am not now; based on economic and financial wealth.But even what I did have,it was nice to be able to go and do 2 or 3 vacations a year and then when the bottom fell out it hurt,BAD!
    But anyway; I consider us to be all good. I believe in your last few comments, you really realize my frustrations and why I feel this way.I have always said in these forums that I am harmless, but somehow I had to let it out again,and I guess today was the day.
    At least being adults here,I think everyone can feel each other's pain in our comments when one of us is hurting and I feel you felt my pain.It's silly I know, but we also are all human beings and God gave us all emotions to feel pain, sadness and happiness, so thanks Mo Noyz.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Been there, done that, feel your pain, and wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy, PHD.

I also made a LOT more then than I do now. Don't know that we ever did three vacations a year, but we always managed to do at least two. Could only do that now if we wanted to rack up a bunch of credit card debt.

But, like I always have to remind myself, try to keep it all in perspective. Memories were made, and will likely always remain (even if embellished a bit ).

A happy and healthy family means a lot more to me now than a trip to WDW.

No worries, though. One will eventually follow the other. It's the law (of averages)!
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 04-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Been there, done that, feel your pain, and wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy, PHD.

I also made a LOT more then than I do now. Don't know that we ever did three vacations a year, but we always managed to do at least two. Could only do that now if we wanted to rack up a bunch of credit card debt.

But, like I always have to remind myself, try to keep it all in perspective. Memories were made, and will likely always remain (even if embellished a bit ).

A happy and healthy family means a lot more to me now than a trip to WDW.

No worries, though. One will eventually follow the other. It's the law (of averages)!
    Yeah I know it will some day.Heck,I'd just like to even go to Gatlinburg and over to Pigeon Forge to Dollywood,but dog gone it,can't even afford that right now. I guess I'd better make sure I take my ginko biloba for my memory,cause that's all I seem to have of vacations these days!LOL!
    Park Hopper Dad!

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

can i just interject here for a moment... i agree and understand where we are all coming form in this point... i am a teacher and all i hear is how we are all paid too much... unfortunately for me i do not seem to fall into that aspect as i am at the bottom of the ladder and must work two jobs just to make a little and stay a bit ahead... i have been to Disney for a weeks vacation the last 3 years... by no means do i call myself well off... what i can tell you is this... i have found ways to cut costs while still doing without sacrificing what i like to do... between my girlfriend and i we spent a week in WDW in 2010... we spent roughly $2200 for the two of us... we stayed at VWL and flew from NY... we had a dining plan and 7 day hoppers... last year i spent about $200 less and stayed at OKW... that time i even rented a car... i think what it comes down for me is planning... now obviously it is cheaper for me because i do not have children.... but my parents are going down for 10 days this christmas... when they did it themselves in 2008 or 09 they spent over $5000 staying at Poly... with what i have been able to do is get them into VWL for $2300... with resort DP and tickets... again I'm not trying to start a fight but trust me when i tell you this... dealing with Disney on their site is completely not worth it... if you know what to do and how to do it and you can possibly be a bit flexible... it is worth it in $$$ saved...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

One theme does carry through. costs rise but services seem to be falling behind. Profits are up for the Theme Parks division and Disney overall. It is fair to wonder why the profit increase doesn't translate to greater maintenance investment in the parks. I recallr eading that when a marketing executive took over as the chief for the Disneyland park, profits went up at the cost of "deferred maintenace" to the park itself.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Probably because they're spending it all on capacity matters. Revamped DCA, Fantasyland expansion, etc...

Just ain't no tellin'!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast