Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake? in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by froland_04-08 I still cant believe that the man was not trespassed... I wanted to add my two cents to this. Now bear with me here, and keep ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    I still cant believe that the man was not trespassed...
    I wanted to add my two cents to this.

Now bear with me here, and keep in mind that I have never, nor will I ever, own a gun. Also, I personally feel what this guy did was the height of insanity and irresponsibility.

With that said, I feel they did not trepass him for two reasons:

1. The most obvious, IMO, is due to the current gun debate going on in this country. The Disney company may be a lot of things, but they have excellence common business sense. Can you imagine if they would have trespassed this cat, and the national media would have gotten ahold of it, what would have happened to their business? Consider the Southern Baptist boycott over, well, we know what it was over. The NRA and their blind devotees likely would have made a similar move. That's a lot of folks...

That's the cynical reason. But,

2. I honestly think that because he was as contrite as humanly possible (which is what I got from the article), that played a big role in the snap decision that was made. We're human. And while I personally cannot fathom what this cat was thinking, it's not like he got belligerent and started spouting off about Second Amendment rights. The article clearly states he was very apologetic, and it's somewhat safe to assume incredibly embarrassed.

A lot of factors involved, to be sure. And likely many more that I missed.

I'm ambivalent over the decision not to trespass him mostly because I wasn't there to properly assess the moment, but I can concede there were possibly reasonable explanations as to why they did.

Even if it was nothing more than pure cynicism driven by business sense.

BTW, funny aside: my boss was actually trespassed for an incident at the Rock-N-Roll Beach Club almost a decade ago.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Wow. This has really become an educational thread.
    Stupid incident initially being discussed not withstanding, so far, I've learned that ALL law-abiding citizens that either own a gun or have CHL's are nutjobs, no one knows what they're thinking, they're Blind NRA devotees, and they sometimes SPOUT their Constitutional rights. God forbid any American should EVER do that.
    I still find it quite humorous that all the predicted OK Coral-style gunfights in the streets of the cities in any state that approved CHL's never became even close to a reality. One gun-owning yo-yo needs to learn how to read and use better judgement, and some people practically knee-jerk themselves into a coma.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

No, most gun owners are responsible and law abiding citizens. But there is a large faction of NRA members that are Second Amendment absolutists. And the type that feel they are arming themselves to protect themselves from tyranny, which is absolutely absurd.

And yes, this guy was a nutjob for bringing a loaded weapon to an amusement park. Period.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

Ok I think I shall get us back on topic. I really think that EPCOT should look into bringing back the Wonders of Life. I believe the reason it was closed was due to lack of sponsorship, maybe they should look into the medical companies to bring back this wonderful area of the park.
    i-neighborhood likes this.
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

It's certainly an embarrassment as it is. I wish they'd do a genuine Space pavilion there as it was originally envisioned.

Space, or maybe something to do with geology and the subterranian....ya know going to the other direction. they can make a drill ride simulator to the center of the earth
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Hey, that's actually a great idea! Doesn't Tokyo Sea have that journey to the center of the earth ride? Which is supposed to be incredible.

Might have to expand on the size of the pavilion, but that would be really interesting. Maybe even do like a Living Seas kind of thing where you drill to the center of the earth and then walk through all sorts of Jules Verne-esque displays?
    froland_04-08 likes this.

Yeah, i mean they got alot of other educational things happening, I would love to see volcano attractions, gemstone and other mining exhibits, and a journey to the center ride

OOOOO and an earthquake exhibit too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    No, most gun owners are responsible and law abiding citizens. But there is a large faction of NRA members that are Second Amendment absolutists. And the type that feel they are arming themselves to protect themselves from tyranny, which is absolutely absurd.

And yes, this guy was a nutjob for bringing a loaded weapon to an amusement park. Period.
    Now, that sounds more reasonable. As far as that NRA faction goes, anyone who thinks their M-16 is gonna' protect them from a drone-launched Hellfire missile is a nutjob. But, I do understand the basic line of thinking, to a point. But, there are just as many other factions out there that believe guns should be completely banned altogether, which, too me anyway, is just as absurd. I can also think of some major hypocrisy when it comes to certain famous people making their gun control pronouncements while, all the while, their armed body guards stand by.

As far as calling the guy a "nutjob" goes, his story seems to be almost the EXACT same thing you posted about you yourself doing, the only difference being you were carrying a knife (banned at Disney, as well) and not a loaded gun.
    You nutjob, you.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

One time I carried a knife at Disney. But it was as a tool during a BTMRR rehab

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Now, that sounds more reasonable. As far as that NRA faction goes, anyone who thinks their M-16 is gonna' protect them from a drone-launched Hellfire missile is a nutjob. But, I do understand the basic line of thinking, to a point. But, there are just as many other factions out there that believe guns should be completely banned altogether, which, too me anyway, is just as absurd. I can also think of some major hypocrisy when it comes to certain famous people making their gun control pronouncements while, all the while, their armed body guards stand by.

As far as calling the guy a "nutjob" goes, his story seems to be almost the EXACT same thing you posted about you yourself doing, the only difference being you were carrying a knife (banned at Disney, as well) and not a loaded gun.
    You nutjob, you.
    Good point. Only I did it purely by accident, and I never dropped it on a ride.

And just to clarify, I do not think all guns should be banned. I'm not even sure I'd support any of them being banned. My thoughts on the matter are a bit more complex, but I won't get into it here unless asked. When I get the time I'll send you a pm concerning where I stand. I'd be happy to include anyone else in the pm who is interested in discussing this.

But, I think froland had the best idea of all. let's get this thread back on topic.

froland, I whole-heartedly agree with all of your suggestions. And when you get right down to it, the things you're suggesting actually dovetail somewhat with UoE next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Good point. Only I did it purely by accident, and I never dropped it on a ride.

And just to clarify, I do not think all guns should be banned. I'm not even sure I'd support any of them being banned. My thoughts on the matter are a bit more complex, but I won't get into it here unless asked. When I get the time I'll send you a pm concerning where I stand. I'd be happy to include anyone else in the pm who is interested in discussing this.

But, I think froland had the best idea of all. let's get this thread back on topic.

froland, I whole-heartedly agree with all of your suggestions. And when you get right down to it, the things you're suggesting actually dovetail somewhat with UoE next door.
    According to the article I read, the guy didn't realize he had forgotten to leave it in his glove box, which he said he normally does, until they were heading to the Park on the tram. And, he apparently didn't think it would be an issue if he just stashed it in his buttoned back pocket. In hindsight, poor judgement on his part to not just take the time to go back to the car and stash it.

I never figured you were one of the folks that wanted all guns banned. I would be interested in your thoughts via PM.

And, yes, froland has the right idea.
    ~ you know who

Another idea for that area is as a tribute to Walt's legacy and lifetime. But i think I am going to start a whole new thread for ideas for the WOL pavilion so we can continue talking about mistakes

Please do.

You've offered up some outstanding suggestions, IMO.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast