Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake? in the I Remember... forums; What ride(s) do you wish were still here?...

What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?

What ride(s) do you wish were still here?
    Last edited by StitchFan23; 04-24-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    there's nothing to get hung about

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I don't think you can say that removing any of those made Disney 'go bad' - and not all of them were removed by Michael Eisner. You do know you've mixed Disneyland and Walt Disney World attractions, right?

Rainbow Caverns was upgraded to become Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland at Disneyland in 1960, while Walt Disney himself was still in charge.
    Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland closed at Disneyland to be replaced by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (prior to Eisner).
    House of the Future became outdated when "the future" of 1957 was caught up by the present of 1967 and was removed a full 17 years before Michael Eisner came to the Disney company.

I can keep going, but you might find it more interesting to visit A Visit to Yesterland - The Discontinued Disneyland , where you can learn about the attractions at Disneyland that were removed. Walt Dated World has many of the Walt Disney World attractions of memory.

Without Michael Eisner (and Frank Wells), there would be no Disney-MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom; no on-property resorts except the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Ft. Wilderness camp grounds; no Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach; no Pleasure Island or Downtown Disney West Side. While the man had some missteps, there is an awful lot of the Walt Disney World resort we would miss if he had not been there.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I picked Alien Encounter, but I really can't say that's a mistake. Everything that has been removed or changed has led to something else to take its place. Many of those things are on a grander scale than the previous attractions hosted in their spot. I chose Alien Encounter because I liked it better than Stitch's Great Escape. I do have to say that I agree with the attraction being changed, so I really shouldn't have picked anything. I don't particularly like its new incarnation, but it was a way to bring the much-loved Stitch into the parks while taking out an attraction that scared the daylights out of most people (including myself).

I agree with Pat. Disney is moving into the future by continually changing. Bringing in millions of visitors a year cannot mean they are making mistakes. I love that every time I go to WDW, I can experience something new and exciting.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
    "Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

All those quotes are from Walt Disney. I believe they prove that he intended for growth and change. All the changes that have taken place may not have been chosen by him, but since we will never know what he would have pursued, we are left with the great minds of current and future Imagineers. They are the future of the Disney Parks, and so far I think they have done a great job.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Miss Disneydame, you are very cool. I hope someday I will know even remotely the great stuff you know. I didn't choose anything either. I really, really can't stand Stitch's Great Mistake. It is so dumb. Although, I didn't like Alien Encounter either. I also agree with Hillary. I like going and seeing all the new stuff. I love that Disney keeps evolving because it makes us all keep wanting to go back. When they brought Mount Everest this past year I couldn't wait to see it. I sure as heck wasn't going to get on it though, I just love all the great majesty. I can't wait to see the new HM, and I hope it never, ever goes away.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    I understand the tearing down of Horizons if the sink-hole rumors were true. But, I do think removing that attraction from the park was one of Disney's biggest blunders of all time. The attraction represented just about every Epcot theme all in one package, and it's a real shame that it's gone now.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    I went with 20K. it's one fo the few things I remember form my very first trip back in 73. When I returned in 2000, I was bummed that it was gone.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

ghost1000 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Journey into Imagination - Gone! (the original attraction)
    ~*~*~*~*~*

--Rita

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I picked Horizons. I wish they could have kept it AND still had Mission:Space.

I finally got on Living W/ The Land last week for the first time since I was 14 years old. It brought back some great nostaligic Epcot memories!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I couldn't pick just one, and my picks might show the fact that I grew up near DL not WDW.

Horizons-Gone
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-Gone
    America Sings!-Gone
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea-Gone
    Adventure Thru Inner Space-Gone
    Mission To Mars-Gone

But the big two for me are Mr. Toad (WDW) and Inner Space (DL). Classics that I rode in every visit.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I would have to pick one not on your list: the revamp on Journey Into Imagination. The first reincarnation was absolutely awful and the new one isn't much better.

It went from being a memorable, fun, can't miss attraction to a don't bother attraction.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    By far I think the decision to hold back on improvements and do some thing s "On the cheap" was a mistake. Some less than stellar attractions (by Disney standards) and scaling back on Cast members (some areas of the parks were getting a little worse for wear) really detracted from the Magic
    Last edited by Veritas; 10-13-2007 at 10:12 AM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    All I can say is thank god doug live was removed. Saw it back in 1999 and I just remembering how bad I wanted to walk out of the theater.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

joplin4 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    TEXAS!!--The greatest state in the Union (IMO)
    I think that the parks weren't the problem. I think the biggest problem was and is The Disney Channel. But, as far as the parks, I think Mr. Toad was the biggest loss. I agree that Walt Disney wanted the parks to change. But, in light of the large outcry from the fans, Walt would have yielded to the fans. One attraction I was upset over losing was Delta Dreamflight. But, I can understand why they took it out. I just didn't like it.
    Celebrating Walt Disney's birthday all month long with some of my favorite Walt Disney avatars. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALT!!!!

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."--Walt Disney

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I went with mr. toads because i've never been able to experience this attraction and i don't think i ever will.

LowesImpala is offline A-Ticket holder
    I voted for Kitchen Caberet/Food Rocks. While not as good as Soarin is as an attraction, it was still a great show to watch. I also think the loss of the Magic Kingdom's Skyway was a bummer.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast