Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss A Challenge!!! in the I Remember... forums; Hey everyone, Its quite common to see bulletin board posts that bemoan the 'loss' of a favorite attraction or two. I'd be interested to see if we could find a ...
    DocTerminus is offline A-Ticket holder

A Challenge!!!

Hey everyone,

Its quite common to see bulletin board posts that bemoan the 'loss' of a favorite attraction or two. I'd be interested to see if we could find a positive in that same loss. Is there a lost attraction you wish was restored - but you can also argue for its removal?

For me, I've always loved...

Mister Toad's Wild Ride. It was always a favorite of mine since I was a small child. A time when I was sure I was driving and the train light was an amazing surprise. But, when it was time for the ride to go away, I went to the park with my niece and nephew on two separate trips. My rides were great and filled with nostalgia, but both kids had a different point of view. My niece thought it was boring and she didn't know who anyone was. She joked she thought it was like the Hall of Presidents. My nephew complained that the characters were just wooden cutouts and they could have done something cooler with the cars.

I have to admit I felt their ambivalence to something that was so personally important was a punch to the stomach.

So, with Pooh arriving in Toad's place, I worked hard and even vocalized being bothered by it. But time heals everything if we let it and now I think Pooh is a great ride, and probably more appropriate to todays kids...

Do you have an attraction that you'd reluctantly accept its removal?

Thoughts?
    Glenn
    Whatcha doin'? Hibernatin'?

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.
    http://www.passamaquoddy.blog.com

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Stitch's Great Escape
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    ^^^Reluctantly???LOL

No for me that would be Space Mountain....JUST KIDDING!

I don't know what that would be. It would depend on what direction things moved after it left...what its reason for leaving....ultimately, I don't make those decisions....so

But what about attractions that have already been "lost"?

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Magic Journeys, lost to Legend of the Lion King, which was lost to Mickey's PhilharMagic. I don't remember much about Magic Journeys, except the trippy song. LotLK was a good show, but basically retold the movie. PhilharMagic is original in story and a great way to showcase many generations of Disney characters. Which also sort of was the intent of the original show in that space: the Mickey Mouse Revue.

Also (and Lou is not going to be happy with me for this one) the If You Had Wings/DreamFlight lost to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Buzz is just so much more fun for the family IMHO, where Wings/DreamFlight was a nice way to get into some air conditioning for a while.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Magic Journeys, lost to Legend of the Lion King, which was lost to Mickey's PhilharMagic. I don't remember much about Magic Journeys, except the trippy song. LotLK was a good show, but basically retold the movie. PhilharMagic is original in story and a great way to showcase many generations of Disney characters. Which also sort of was the intent of the original show in that space: the Mickey Mouse Revue.

Also (and Lou is not going to be happy with me for this one) the If You Had Wings/DreamFlight lost to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Buzz is just so much more fun for the family IMHO, where Wings/DreamFlight was a nice way to get into some air conditioning for a while.

Great segue.. and you brought it full circle! Was there nothing between Mickey Mouse Revue and Magic Journey's? (Lou?)

Glenn

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by glennwhelan View Post
    Great segue.. and you brought it full circle! Was there nothing between Mickey Mouse Revue and Magic Journey's? (Lou?)

Glenn
    The theater was empty between them. There's a great article on the Fantasy Faire Theatre, home to all those shows, here: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/art...faire_theatre/
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    For me, losing Horizons was heartbreaking. But I think that Mission: Space is a great replacement. I really wish they would rebuild Horizons somewhere at EPCOT but I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    For me, losing Horizons was heartbreaking. But I think that Mission: Space is a great replacement. I really wish they would rebuild Horizons somewhere at EPCOT but I don't see that happening.
    Yeah, I agree with you on those 2.

Glenn

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    However, Mickey Mouse Review Theatre was not completely empty all the time....There were several showcases in there for short bursts during th early 80s. As CMs we used it for meetings for the Character Department, then it was refurbished and they showed cartoons in there to the guests. Then that was redone again for a character show starring Clara Cluck, called Fantasy Follies. When Captain EO replaced Magic Journeys at EPCOT, Fantasy Follies was moved to the Fantasy Faire Stage next to 20k, so that Magic Journeys could be shown in the theatre and for a preshow they used the old 3D cartoon, Working for Peanuts.

But if you want to know the truth....Mickey Mouse Review was still one of the best shows in that theatre.....

As far as improvements, I didn't mind seeing Mission to Mars go away. It was cheesy and I actually liked Alien Encounter as a replacement. I thought that was a major upgrade.