Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Castle Trees in the I Remember... forums; Anyone know why they ever got rid of these? I had completely forgotten there were even trees there until I saw this. I was trying to think if there was ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Castle Trees

Anyone know why they ever got rid of these? I had completely forgotten there were even trees there until I saw this. I was trying to think if there was some reason... like something else was put in their place... but I think all that's there now is grass (?).

Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I so miss those trees. What I had heard is that for one they had gotten too big for their planters and that they needed to clear out the front of the castle for all the new shows and celebrations that have been taking place last couple of years. I find it looks so bare now without the trees. Sadness.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Castle Trees

We were on a keys to the kingdom tour in March of 2004 and I asked the cast member, why they took out the trees. He told us they were causing a problem down below because the roots were starting to invade the utilidor. I think they were also starting to block the view of the castle from main street.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    I never they were trees there, when did they remove them?

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

GoofyOnDWT is offline A-Ticket holder
    I agree with the previous post about having something to do with the various shows/celebrations. Based on the firework displays associated with Wishes, I can see a desire to have the trees removed so the guests have a clear view when watching from the Main Street area.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)
    I miss them too, but I heard that they got rid of them because they obstructed the view of the castle and they limited the space the view the shows that go on in front of the castle.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I remember the trees too. It still looks kinda bare without them. But I do like the Walt and Mickey statue!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)
    Yes, Partner is one of those classic pieces that I ALWAYS associate with the world. It's just a great reminder of where it all started.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    OMG!! I totally just noticed that!! When I first went in 1997 they were there and then I don't remember them anymore!! I just looked at one of my scrapbooking photos and there where there. Wow, I did not even think about that!! Maybe they weren't all there but some trees where there in 97'. Thanks for pointing that out to us Jenn
    Last edited by lilo88; 01-18-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: forgot to say something
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Those look nice. I think they ease the transition from Main Street to the Castle, and they framed it very nicely
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

Tiff I'm so right there with you. I was looking at these pictures and when I came across this one I did a double take. Like "wow, there WERE trees there, that's right".
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

TPR Erik is offline A-Ticket holder
    If I remember correctly, those trees were also filled with white lights that quickly blinked while at night.

Quote Originally Posted by TPR Erik View Post
    If I remember correctly, those trees were also filled with white lights that quickly blinked while at night.
    You may be right. I seem to have some recollection of that. Unfortunately the only pics I have are during the day.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Wow! Flashback! Now I miss them. I recall sitting under them and having ice cream in the shade. Disney transplants green stuff all the time, I wonder why they didn't replace the tree's with smaller versions. It was such a nice transition from all that concrete. Can't believe I didn't notice.

BAMAJENN You might want to post this picture on Post a Picture a Day, I am sure everyone on that hot thread would love to see this photo! Thanks for sharing.

Note: Those are some short, shorts on those ladies.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 01-30-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Note

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Here are some photos that show the the hub before and after the renovations, this is adapted from a thread on another board where this subject came up in referance to how much (or rather how little) seatin there is in the hub nowadays so I'll include a bit of the text about that issue here:

... as to the seating issue since the seats before were built into the planters all the way around the planters AND the planting ares were bigger , then obviously even if you put benches ALL the way around the planter there's going to be less seating now because the perimiter is smaller. So you can still get a seat you just have to stake it out sooner, and having MORE standing space (and less obstructed views) in front of the castle increases viewing space ALL DAY LONG, for stage shows, parades, and fireworks, so it really does seem like it was probably a good idea.

before the renovations (overview from upper deck of omnibus):

note that the path to the center is so narrow that no benches are put on the path to the center of the hub, there are benches built into the center of the hub around the statue of Walt, these still exist, here's another view of those (this picture includes my first wife, so It's not one I reference very often):

I also have a photo that show sometimes they DID actually put benches along that narrow path (with my current wife from our honeymoon in 2002):

there are also benches built into the exterior and interior circles of the planters around the hub, those are the ones that have gone away, here's a view that shows those older built-in benches :

Here are some pictures of the hub AFTER the renovations the benches built into the interior and exterior of the planters surrounding the hub are gone (except at the inner circle aroung the partnes statue), though the other type of benches are seemingly quite abundant in these photos:

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast