Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in the I Remember... forums; Sorry if this has already been posted couldnt find anything on it, found a really good site on 20k some absolutely brilliant pictures (although rather sad). I personally never got ...
    RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Sorry if this has already been posted couldnt find anything on it, found a really good site on 20k some absolutely brilliant pictures (although rather sad). I personally never got to ride it, with my first trip being in 1999 but I remember looking across the water and thinking....That ride looked really good I wonder why it closed. Anyway thought i'd put it on here so people can have a reminiss.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - The Ride

Ruddy

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Very cool site...I had to go "ride" it on Youtube after reading. Thanks for sharing!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    If you ever get a chance to go to Disneyland, they used their old 20K ride and made a Nemo themed ride out of it.

(Didn't get to ride it when I was there last, the wait was way too long!)

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    If you get chance you should have a look at the other stuff on the website, it has some very interesting stuff about the proposed Fire Mountain and Villain Mountain. Maybe a little outdated now and I think some of it has to be taken with a pinch of salt but a decent enough read if youve got a spare 15 minutes.

Ruddy

tigger_03 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    If you ever get a chance to go to Disneyland, they used their old 20K ride and made a Nemo themed ride out of it.

(Didn't get to ride it when I was there last, the wait was way too long!)
    That is another plus for having to make the trip out west. Though my DH isn't too fond of having to drive in LA (just the thought of it makes him scared and I can't say I blame him either). But I told him if we do go to DL then I also want to go to San Diego to the zoo and Sea World. Which means we then have to rent a car and have to figure out carseats/boosters. I'm thinking we will probably wait til the kids are older or perhaps fly to our friends' in AZ and then drive one of their cars (haven't discussed it with them though since it would be a couple of years away). Just have to see.

Staying on site this year

Previous trips 1986 & 2003

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    The original ride at DL had a sub named for Nemo, the Captain of the Nautilus, and now it's a Nemo ride. Just had to throw that out there. As a kid, I always wanted to get on the Nemo sub.

It was a great ride, but it was kind of shabby at the end of its run. I understand they kept some of the elements of the original ride, such as the giant clamshell at the end, and then integrated the new Nemo story around them.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

disneylady is offline REMEMBERING THE MAGIC
    First time I ever went to Disneyworld was 1997 & I guess I missed this ride somehow ..........................first time is so overwhelming you don,t "see" everything ........................the next time I managed to go was in 2002 & it had gone

I Belle
    Maggie

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    20K was a fun ride, but it was definitely best enjoyed in the evening. If you went on during a sunny day, you could see how they did some of the effects, taking the mystery out of it. It was something we rode a lot, but it wasn't a "must see" every time we went.

We used to jokingly call it "Two Feet Under the Pond".
    Lisa

"No capes!"

eeyore1954 is offline A-Ticket holder
    The new Nemo ride is very similar in that you go on the subs and ride around. I think the newer generation of DIsney Fans will like it better because they know Nemo. I remember riding on the original when I was young and being scared the first time. I hope it opened in the early 60's or earlier so I wasn't a teenage when I went and was scared. But I was a bit of a baby , too scared to ride the Matterhorn until I was 17.

sivart0107 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I remember my first trip to WDW and riding 20k about 12 times. I loved it so much and so sad that my kids couldn't enjoy it when we went this last Thanksgiving.

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Seeing this old thread get a bump reminded me of my last ride on this attraction in April 1994. At that time, I had no idea the attraction was closing so I never took that last picture. Rats!

It was neat sitting in the sub and looking out the port hole, but very cramped. I remember some of the other riders commenting on it being claustrophobic. The ride around was smooth/slow, but the technology was very dated as well as the scenery and effects. I was not surprised to see it closed, when I returned in 1995, but rather how long it took them to remove it and finally put in something else - Pooh's Playful Spot.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski

I remember when our family went in April 1972 and my brother got mad because the wait was so long and the ride was under water. i loved every minute because he got into trouble. hehe.
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    Sorry if this has already been posted couldnt find anything on it, found a really good site on 20k some absolutely brilliant pictures (although rather sad). I personally never got to ride it, with my first trip being in 1999 but I remember looking across the water and thinking....That ride looked really good I wonder why it closed. Anyway thought i'd put it on here so people can have a reminiss.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - The Ride
    As a kid I thought we were really going under water. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I thought to look up through the window and I saw the surface only a couple of inches above. Didn't matter. Now I was impressed with how they managed to make it look like we were deep under water while in a wading pool.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

i thought we were really under the water a long ways too....ahhh...love 20k!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Never got to ride that
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century