Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Follow up post to "Old Welcoming Radio??" with info regarding "Disney Radio" 107.9 in the I Remember... forums; This is my first post here! I saw this post here, and signed up so I could share my recollection of Disney Radio. This is going to be a bit ...
    bh7812 is offline A-Ticket holder

Follow up post to "Old Welcoming Radio??" with info regarding "Disney Radio" 107.9

This is my first post here! I saw this post here, and signed up so I could share my recollection of Disney Radio. This is going to be a bit long but I hope everyone will read it, I think it will be well worth the time to read it. Thank goodness I’m not the only one who remembers it LOL I’ve gotten QUITE a few “You’re crazy” looks from people over the years when I’ve mentioned it to them.

107.5 MHz (TIS) WLGD "Disney Radio", Columbia City; inactive on checks in June, 2001, and does not seem to be listed in the FCC dB any more. Was active since at least early 1993, "Florida's In-car Welcoming Station" with an aproximately 15 minute loop promoting the theme park and syndicated weather. Location given as Columbia, Florida (actually Columbia City). Full stereo, signal range was 35-40 miles. Formerly listed with experimental calls KA2XXZ, 250 watts directional. Moved from 107.9 MHz mid-1997 with the activation of WLQH, Chiefland on 107.9 MHz. Used Yagi antenna on 130-foot tower, beaming the signal up the north approach of I-75 from near the I-10/I-75 interchange. Was licensed to Ranch & Grove Holding Corporation.

Disney Radio, the one that used to be in the Lake City area, started in 1993. My family and I used to drive down to Disney and came into Florida on I-75. We have been flying down the last 6 years though..I normally do not mind planes, but I miss the drive down sorely. Anyway, when we drove down in ’93, just a few miles into Florida, there was a VERY bright, colorful billboard advertising the Disney Welcome Center in Ocala. The billboard said “Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s off to the Disney Welcome Center we go!” Between the State Line and the I-10 Junction, there were several other Disney Welcome Center billboards too. The one just before the I-10 Junction said to tune into 107.5 so I did. (They moved it from 107.5 to 107.9 in ’97 I wanna say..at first the call letters were KA2XXC and at the end, in 2000, WLGD) That was my first time hearing Disney Radio. I have to say there wasn’t at the time and hasn’t been anything like it anywhere else in the country since. I thought it was really neat and well done. Every year after that, I looked forward to hearing Disney Radio once we got to Lake City..we stayed overnight in Lake City so that was a huge plus and gave me time to listen to whatever they came up with each trip.

The last time I remember hearing Disney Radio was in April 2000. We flew down in 2001 so I didn’t get to hear it that year. Sometime between April 2000 and my trip in April 2002 they sadly pulled the plug on Disney Radio. I remember in 2002 I couldn’t wait to hear what new stuff they came up with for the station that year. When we crossed into Fla I noticed the billboards they used to have between the State Line and the I-10 Junction were gone, there wasn’t even one. I wasn’t worried, I figured they just weren’t advertising it the way they did before. When I got out of the car in Lake City, I tuned into 107.5 and it wasn’t there anymore…needless to say I was disappointed they pulled the plug on it.

I know what happened to the station..they moved it from Florida to California. No joke. I don’t know if it was still there but..I drove with my Uncle who lives in WA State down to Disneyland in Summer 2006, 2 years ago. We drove down on I-5 and back up on US 101. Just South of San Francisco, there was a very colorful billboard for Disneyland, couldn’t miss it! I was going North and it was on the Southbound side of US 101 so I didn’t get to read all of what it said..I remember “Keep goin toward LA on 101 and tune into Disneyland Radio on..again I was going North so it was hard to read..I didn’t catch what frequency it’s on! I wish I could have heard it! Does anyone know what frequency it’s on and if there’s somewhere I can listen to it?

Here’s why I wanted to post…I actually DO have Disney Radio on cassette tapes from our trips down to Fla in ’93, ’94, ’95 and ’97 or ’98. They added new or different stuff each of those years on the station. It was taped directly from the station to tape, so the sound is in stereo and excellent quality. The tapes have held up well. I don’t want to part with the tapes BUT if there’s anyone that would like to hear it or knows of a website that might like the recordings for posterity reasons PLEASE shoot me off a Private mesaage and let me know!! Here’s the thing, I just need to know how to copy the recordings from tape to my PC. If anyone out there knows how, let me know and I’ll upload all of it to the PC. It’d probably only take a few hours of work at most and I would be more than happy to do it!

I apologize for the length of the post but wanted to share my recollection of Disney Radio. If anyone wants to hear the recordings of it I have and knows how to convert to PC please let me know!
    Bill

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I miss the old radio station. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the boards!!!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

mickeymatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My Father lives in Ocala. I remember driving down to see him and turning on the disney info. My wife would just roll her eyes. :-) I miss that station too. We went thispast week and i so wanted my daughter to hear mickey on the radio. Oh well...maybe they will bring it back.

danzoop is offline A-Ticket holder
    We have similar memories--I looked forward to Disney Radio every trip after discovering it on a family drive down there--it was like being there in your head, and the characters seemed real, especially Walter Wonderful--you do miss it by flying. To the dismay of my wife, I would stay tuned to it till it turned to static, and took a recorder just to capture as much as possible of it--used to listen to it at work as an escape--hope they bring it back--entertaining, and a great way to creat atmosphere for the long drive to Orlando.
    Quote Originally Posted by bh7812 View Post
    This is my first post here! I saw this post here, and signed up so I could share my recollection of Disney Radio. This is going to be a bit long but I hope everyone will read it, I think it will be well worth the time to read it. Thank goodness I’m not the only one who remembers it LOL I’ve gotten QUITE a few “You’re crazy” looks from people over the years when I’ve mentioned it to them.

107.5 MHz (TIS) WLGD "Disney Radio", Columbia City; inactive on checks in June, 2001, and does not seem to be listed in the FCC dB any more. Was active since at least early 1993, "Florida's In-car Welcoming Station" with an aproximately 15 minute loop promoting the theme park and syndicated weather. Location given as Columbia, Florida (actually Columbia City). Full stereo, signal range was 35-40 miles. Formerly listed with experimental calls KA2XXZ, 250 watts directional. Moved from 107.9 MHz mid-1997 with the activation of WLQH, Chiefland on 107.9 MHz. Used Yagi antenna on 130-foot tower, beaming the signal up the north approach of I-75 from near the I-10/I-75 interchange. Was licensed to Ranch & Grove Holding Corporation.

Disney Radio, the one that used to be in the Lake City area, started in 1993. My family and I used to drive down to Disney and came into Florida on I-75. We have been flying down the last 6 years though..I normally do not mind planes, but I miss the drive down sorely. Anyway, when we drove down in ’93, just a few miles into Florida, there was a VERY bright, colorful billboard advertising the Disney Welcome Center in Ocala. The billboard said “Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s off to the Disney Welcome Center we go!” Between the State Line and the I-10 Junction, there were several other Disney Welcome Center billboards too. The one just before the I-10 Junction said to tune into 107.5 so I did. (They moved it from 107.5 to 107.9 in ’97 I wanna say..at first the call letters were KA2XXC and at the end, in 2000, WLGD) That was my first time hearing Disney Radio. I have to say there wasn’t at the time and hasn’t been anything like it anywhere else in the country since. I thought it was really neat and well done. Every year after that, I looked forward to hearing Disney Radio once we got to Lake City..we stayed overnight in Lake City so that was a huge plus and gave me time to listen to whatever they came up with each trip.

The last time I remember hearing Disney Radio was in April 2000. We flew down in 2001 so I didn’t get to hear it that year. Sometime between April 2000 and my trip in April 2002 they sadly pulled the plug on Disney Radio. I remember in 2002 I couldn’t wait to hear what new stuff they came up with for the station that year. When we crossed into Fla I noticed the billboards they used to have between the State Line and the I-10 Junction were gone, there wasn’t even one. I wasn’t worried, I figured they just weren’t advertising it the way they did before. When I got out of the car in Lake City, I tuned into 107.5 and it wasn’t there anymore…needless to say I was disappointed they pulled the plug on it.

I know what happened to the station..they moved it from Florida to California. No joke. I don’t know if it was still there but..I drove with my Uncle who lives in WA State down to Disneyland in Summer 2006, 2 years ago. We drove down on I-5 and back up on US 101. Just South of San Francisco, there was a very colorful billboard for Disneyland, couldn’t miss it! I was going North and it was on the Southbound side of US 101 so I didn’t get to read all of what it said..I remember “Keep goin toward LA on 101 and tune into Disneyland Radio on..again I was going North so it was hard to read..I didn’t catch what frequency it’s on! I wish I could have heard it! Does anyone know what frequency it’s on and if there’s somewhere I can listen to it?

Here’s why I wanted to post…I actually DO have Disney Radio on cassette tapes from our trips down to Fla in ’93, ’94, ’95 and ’97 or ’98. They added new or different stuff each of those years on the station. It was taped directly from the station to tape, so the sound is in stereo and excellent quality. The tapes have held up well. I don’t want to part with the tapes BUT if there’s anyone that would like to hear it or knows of a website that might like the recordings for posterity reasons PLEASE shoot me off a Private mesaage and let me know!! Here’s the thing, I just need to know how to copy the recordings from tape to my PC. If anyone out there knows how, let me know and I’ll upload all of it to the PC. It’d probably only take a few hours of work at most and I would be more than happy to do it!

I apologize for the length of the post but wanted to share my recollection of Disney Radio. If anyone wants to hear the recordings of it I have and knows how to convert to PC please let me know!
    Bill

darrink1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Follow up post to "Old Welcoming Radio??" with info regarding "Disney Radio" 107.

I know your original post was from way back in 2008, but did you ever figure out how to rip the tape to your PC? I would like to hear those old Disney tapes. I miss that radio station. Whenever I have a tape to rip, I have 1 old car with a tape player, and I use my iphone to record it.

haptown is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Follow up post to "Old Welcoming Radio??" with info regarding "Disney Radio" 107.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'd also like to know if those old tapes were ever converted to digital files. This would make a great segment for the podcast. bh7812 - are you still out there?

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Unfortunately, he hasn't been on since 2010... Hopefully those files aren't lost, I'd love to hear them too!

darrink1 is offline A-Ticket holder

I was able to get a hold of 2 files from the Disney World Welcome FM station. One from 1995 and one from 1998.
    and I was also able to get 2 files from the Disney world in-car AM radio station (back when it was just the Magic Kingdom). One for Entering and One for Leaving. The quality of the Welcome Station is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by haptown View Post
    Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'd also like to know if those old tapes were ever converted to digital files. This would make a great segment for the podcast. bh7812 - are you still out there?