Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Mr. Toad in the I Remember... forums; Well, it's hard to believe, but ten years ago tomorrow, Mr. Toad took his final wild ride, bringing an end to our jolly rides to nowhere in particular. As I ...
    Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder

Mr. Toad

Well, it's hard to believe, but ten years ago tomorrow, Mr. Toad took his final wild ride, bringing an end to our jolly rides to nowhere in particular. As I look toward WDW's 40th Anniversary in just 3 short years, I can't help but feel like something is going to happen.

If you, (like me) have been reading any rumor websites lately, you will find some chatter about a possible Toad reincarnation for the big 40. I have given some thought to this, and, though I have said many times Toad is gone forever, I actually hope that we will again go merrily on our way once more. Some websites are saying the theme for Disney World's 40 will be about plussing old favorites, to bring people back for a homecoming, like DL's 50. If what I am hearing comes true, there is an empty patch of land where 20k used to be that could be home to two more dark rides. (Ariel and Toady). Also adding another Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, would probably cost next to nothing to Disney. (The only main expense would be to build the show building, since every thing else in the ride would be 2-D figures.)

I thought this thread could bring us to talk about what we would like to see in a possible Toad reincarnation.

So let's hope to the future that we may once again be dragged along with Mr. Toad on a ride to Nowhere in Particular.

-Toad's Buddy
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

StephlovesWDW is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Buffalo, New York- too far and too cold to be remotely considered anywhere near central Florida :(
    I really hope that they bring back some old favorites for Disney's 40th!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I so hope they bring back Toad, that was always a fav at DL. I really wish they would put the Tiki Room back to original, I loathe the voice of Gilbert Gottfried (sp?) and I really, really like the original tiki room song.

Let make a wish together to bring back some of the originals and get rid of a few dogs.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

My Concept...

Quote Originally Posted by Toad's Buddy View Post
    I thought this thread could bring us to talk about what we would like to see in a possible Toad reincarnation.
    -Toad's Buddy
    If they do rebuild Toad, I hope it's interactive like the Buzz Lightyear ride...so how about making it like the classic arcade game Frogger???!!! Disney could get away from the royalty thing by calling it "Toader". The way I visualize it as you go through the ride you can control the car to a small degree so you can weave to the left or right and try to squish Toad! Fun, huh? Also Ratty and Mole make an appearence or two and you can try to nail them as well. I think it would be PETArific!!! If that's too harsh for your tastes perhaps the weasels could be the targets. Any thoughts on this?

Pierrotlefou is offline A-Ticket holder
    If they bring it back, it should be a spinning car ride like Roger Rabbit in Disneyland.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    I like your idea Elvistelth.It needs to be brought back for the 40th,and also because I see that a lot of people really liked that ole toad.I only got to go on it,I think twice.But what needs to happen,is use all of modern tech available.Stay on the toad format,but TWEAK it into this techno world with some awesome radical new twists!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    That would be pretty cool if they brought it back in some form. I watch the videos they have of it on YouTube sometimes when I start to miss the ride. Its not the same as actually riding it, but its better than nothing.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Lou actually hopped into his Wayback Machine and wrote about Mr. Toad in the first issue of Celebrations Magazine.

I wouldn't mind seeing this attraction re-imagined, but I think it would be a safe bet that if they did bring it back and brought it into the 21st century, there would be a very loud, vocal minority that would be upset that it wasn't rebuilt to the original specifications
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Being totally honest...I never thought much of Toad until it was replaced. As a kid I never even understood the reference since Disney never pushed the movie and I didn't ever see it until 2 or 3 years ago. I think it would have been more loved had they done some marketing in the 70's & 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    Being totally honest...I never thought much of Toad until it was replaced. As a kid I never even understood the reference since Disney never pushed the movie and I didn't ever see it until 2 or 3 years ago. I think it would have been more loved had they done some marketing in the 70's & 80's.
    How old are you?

I was born in 1971 and remember Mr. Toad being shown quite frequently on the Wonderful World of Disney. Plus, I had read the Wind in the Willows quite a few times as an elementary school kid
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

I'm 41 and we watched the WWofD every week. I never saw it once. I'm sure I missed an episode here or there but I doubt they showed it more than once or twice. I also had the Disneychannel in the early 80's and never saw it there either. I finally got a copy of Ichabod and Mr. Toad from the library and showed it to my class one year.
    The headless horseman story was shown frequently on TV but I totally missed out on Toad. It's sad because I think it's a great cartoon. Certainly better than Winnie the pooh.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    That's me as well.I don't seem to remember Toad and the storyline behind it.I barely remember the Ichabod and Toad movie,but I'm not even sure if I saw it.I'm 49 and I watched all of the Disney shows on tv in the 60's and 70's,but I don't remember the little toad dude at all.When I first went to Disneyworld in 1986,I think I must have wondered what the Mr.Toad's Wild Ride was actually based on,since I didn't remember it from tv.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I'm 41 and we watched the WWofD every week. I never saw it once. I'm sure I missed an episode here or there but I doubt they showed it more than once or twice. I also had the Disneychannel in the early 80's and never saw it there either. I finally got a copy of Ichabod and Mr. Toad from the library and showed it to my class one year.
    The headless horseman story was shown frequently on TV but I totally missed out on Toad. It's sad because I think it's a great cartoon. Certainly better than Winnie the pooh.
    I'm wondering how I got introduced to the Mr. Toad franchise then. Maybe my dad played a role in some fashion. He was a big fan of Disney animation
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

To expand on this: In my town in the 70's the local theatre played Disney movies each week in the summer. They showed a double feature each week. I saw many Kurt Russell movies, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Appledumpling Gang ETC. but I never saw Toad then either.

MJ'sPrincess is offline A-Ticket holder
    In case people didnt know the MR. Toad ride was replaced by The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh becase some where in that ride there is a picture of MR. Toad handing over the deeds to Owl.

'Lets never loose sight of one thing,that it all started with a mouse'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast