Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Country Bear Christmas Show in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by froland_04-08 What does RFID stand for? Radio-Frequency IDentification. When you wear the bracelet you will be chipped per say....
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Country Bear Christmas Show

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    What does RFID stand for?
    Radio-Frequency IDentification. When you wear the bracelet you will be chipped per say.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

Ah ok! I guess i can give it a shot
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

And apparently you will only be able to reserve 3 rides....and initially it will only be available to WDW resort guests
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

And apparently you will only be able to reserve 3 rides....and initially it will only be available to WDW resort guests
    It won't really be a viable option not to give the bracelet a shot if it really works as Disney is planning. Yep, resort guests only at first, but they have not gotten the bugs out yet in trials with a card yet. Braclets have not been launched yet and we were pondering this week if the FCC has actually approved there use yet, it was submitted to FCC in Early October. Rumors say it will be sold at a price to off sight guests in the future. Time will tell with this whole RFID thing. The stars operationally at Disney will have to align to pull this off and frankly Disney needs to put some big Disney Dollars into their infrastructure throughout WDW to align those stars. I'm skeptical about how well this will all pan out. But who knows, new territory.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Im sure they will find a way. Thay always seem to. Even if it takes a couple years, like it did with Test Track

Im sure they will find a way. Thay always seem to. Even if it takes a couple years, like it did with Test Track
    Touche!

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It won't really be a viable option not to give the bracelet a shot if it really works as Disney is planning. ... Rumors say it will be sold at a price to off sight guests in the future.
    That is such a joke. They REALLY think people are going to pay extra for those things if it comes to pass as we think it will?

As an offsite guest, I can't imagine why I'd want to pay extra to get ONE FP+ a day to be able to not wait on one attraction that I'd really need it on.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    That is such a joke. They REALLY think people are going to pay extra for those things if it comes to pass as we think it will?

As an offsite guest, I can't imagine why I'd want to pay extra to get ONE FP+ a day to be able to not wait on one attraction that I'd really need it on.
    Nobody thought that people would pay extra for park hopper at first either, but folks do every day. They will find a way to make it worth a guests while.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yeah, but Park Hopper makes more sense than a program that cuts the wait time for one attraction per day.

I don't see what's in any of this for those staying offsite. How many offsite guests buy their tickets online (which you would need to do to make the FP reservations in advance)? You can buy them in the hotels, at stores everywhere, or at the parks. Not seeing the benefit from the bracelets for offsite visitors.
    Last edited by clj2; 01-30-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Yeah, but Park Hopper makes more sense than a program that cuts the wait time for one attraction per day.

I don't see what's in any of this for those staying offsite. How many offsite guests buy their tickets online (which you would need to do to make the FP reservations in advance)? You can buy them in the hotels, at stores everywhere, or at the parks. Not seeing the benefit from the bracelets for offsite visitors.
    I've heard from 3-4 attractions per day, if you could get FP+ for lets say Splash, Thunder, Space, Mansion it would free up a major block of time, I doubt that will happen and likely guests will be issued FP+ as part of a bundle for attraction that are almost always walk ons like Stitch, Tiki, CoP. Disney already has tested this with regular FPs a few ways. The machines spit out your FP and then gave you a bonus FP to the Philharmajic. Disney then analyzed the data of how many of those guests used those Bonus FPs when assigned a time frame. While we are seasoned guests a good chunk are of guests are not. Disney also tested the parades with FP for a reserved areas for the parade and this will also be implemented on a trail basis for illuminations. Illuminations will soon loose 3 more viewing spots for guests. The new restaurant and 2 viewing areas for FP guests only, much like Fantasmic does for those willing to buy a high end dinner in exchange for a reserved viewing area for the show.

If this RFID program pans out as designed it could very well greatly alter the experience for non-RFID guests that are still paying a premium price to enter the parks including off sight guests. As for what guest will buy, I am amazed by what guests purchase, what they will pay for a resort that most spend little time awake in and then pay even more to reserve the right to be placed within a certain area of a hotel and more for a certain view. That is why I find Disney's response and some fans that RFID is optional, it is disingenuous.

Go to the links I posted yesterday, Jan 28th and read the Congressional letter to Iger and then his spit fire response back to Congress. I was stunned Iger wrote a response in that tone, it is anything but the manner in which you would expect an official statement back to congress to be worded. It demonstrates how determined Disney is.

New WDW Tech Launches

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

It also shows how tiresome intellectually lazy people can be. The information Markey was looking for was in the public domain.

As the saying goes: in the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Markey could have had his questions answered with a few click of a mouse. Instead, he chose to grandstand as almost all single-issue politicians tend to. Iger's response was neither surprising nor uncalled for.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Nobody thought that people would pay extra for park hopper at first either, but folks do every day. They will find a way to make it worth a guests while.
    Or, they could follow Universal's lead and start charging for FastPass.

I am not of the mindset that if it is on the internet it must be true.

Facebook is a company who continues to flip flop on privacy policies could Disney too? Could RFID personal data be hacked? Will the consumer understand the complete implications of release they are signing at check-in in exchange for their bracelet or will they need an attorney to explain what they are really agreeing to?

Disney Corp. has already been fined $3 million dollars for tracking children without their parents permission in the last few years, congress should look into RFID since there is precedence. If congress gets dinged for grandstanding so be it, who cares? If congress didn't research RFID they would get ding'd for that too. Guests come to Disney Worldwide and now that our congress is addressing RFID data collection more guests will be on heightened awareness.

Iger's temper tantrum (letter) to congress now archived on the net for guests to read worldwide. It demonstrates a darker side to Disney's Pixie Dust image that Disney generally tries to portray to the public and guests. The letter was insightful snapshot of the real Iger and his disposition, it was enlightening. Doubt his hissy fit will make congress back off investigating RFID data collection but congress now is aware that Corporate Disney will likely be hostile when responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Or, they could follow Universal's lead and start charging for FastPass.
    I believe that is Disney's goal for guests staying off sight.

Edit:
    FYI, when I stay on property at a Universal resort, the FPs are free, unlimited and all I have had to do is have their cast member scan my resort ID to gain access to their FP queue. A nice perk for their resort guests. Disney did the same thing for a long while with resort ID's to get a wristband for EMH's.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 01-30-2013 at 01:46 PM.

I'm not defending the use of RFID wristbands. I want to make that perfectly clear. And with all things political/corporate, there is likely a lot more going on in the background here. So paint Iger however you want, I really don't care. But a more nuanced look at this would be the more prudent approach, IMO. When it is slime vs slime, the result is never going to be pretty.

As for charging off property guests for FP+, I'll have to take your word for it since I have never seen any indication of that one way or the other.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast