Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss I will remember you; River Country in the I Remember... forums; Hearing Blizzard Beach had re-opened, my mind flipped back to before the Lagoon opened way back and I took my son to River Country. Memories. Miss that place. Small, cozy ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I will remember you; River Country

Hearing Blizzard Beach had re-opened, my mind flipped back to before the Lagoon opened way back and I took my son to River Country.

Memories. Miss that place. Small, cozy and relaxing fun.

So I pulled it up on YouTube. Still warm and fuzzy.

YouTube - Walt Disney's River Country: We Will Never Forget

mickeymatt is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: I will remember you; River Country

I too have fond memories of RC. My first trip to WDW I was about 8 or so EPCOT was really new and we spent a day in RC. What I remember most was the slides that dropped you into the pool below at what seemed to be a frightening distance. I also remember the zip line. So much fun.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

River Country was fun. Sometimes I lament that my kids will never go there, but then I remember the tea-colored lake water that you had to swim in. Nostalgia tends to be very forgiving of inconvenient details.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I remeber going there for an afternoon in 1979 and how much fun it was. Shame I can't take my own kids there, but understand the reasons why.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I never got to go to River Country. We always used to stay at Ft. Wilderness when I was little and my Mom and I would always want to go over to River Country one of the days we were there. My Dad always said it was too expensive for a water park though, so we never went.

Quote Originally Posted by Flrancho View Post
    I never got to go to River Country. We always used to stay at Ft. Wilderness when I was little and my Mom and I would always want to go over to River Country one of the days we were there. My Dad always said it was too expensive for a water park though, so we never went.
    Ok, here are the costs of admission for you, pick the year.

This YouTube is a little clearer:
    YouTube - Vanished World of Disney 6 - River Country

This photo is a little sadder:

Abandoned Disney Water park - River Country (Bing Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting

and ABANDONED DISNEY: River Country [Part1] - Blog - Imagineering Disney

ABANDONED DISNEY: River Country [Part2] - Blog - Imagineering Disney

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

I remember it well, such a shame really.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

What fun it was!

My son (8 yrs.) and I rented a water mouse last year and stopped offshore near the old site. Although we could not see much, I described it to him by memory. I'm sure I did not do it justice.

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

I didn't like it when i was a kid. I wasn't a great swimmer and it had a sort of relentless unhinged feel to the scared 8-year old version of me...so I really didn't enjoy it all that much. I don't think we frequented it much in the '80s and then when Typhoon Lagoon opened, it was all about that. I now enjoy both the water parks and wonder if i would've liked River Country once I shed some younger fears!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

If you look back at what River Country had and compare it to modern waterparks, it really didn't have much.

I guess it was something about the real beach and water. It was far more tranquil than Typhoon or Blizzard. Love them, but so different form River Country. Swinging from the ropes, bump'n tubes on the way down with others. Waiting in lines that were in the water keeping you cool.

Don't miss the way the lake stained swim suits though.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I never got the chance to go to river country but i have seen it in its heyday... and it was a fun looking water park... no major thrills but a good park none the less...

about a month ago, while trying to book a vacation on another discussion board i came across a photo album someone has of what river country looks like now... the videos show it, but these photos gave me chills... its crazy!!! the literally just up and left one day... there was a photo of an old shed open, and among the stuff laying on the floor inside was a customer service award plaque... and it was just laying there....

paths overgrown, signs on the ground... ppl describe the tea colored water... if you havent seen it lately... you probably do not want to see it now....

it is a sad turn of events... but i do understand why it was done... but it is still sad...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

and they just don't demo River Country Why? Why leave it there?

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    and they just don't demo River Country Why? Why leave it there?

I believe it perfectly illustrates Disney's cost-over-aesthetics policy. Imagine what would happen to an employee of the 70's who suggested just leaving something to rot in plain sight when the first generation of planners and imagineers were in charge. I think they'd be reminded of Walt's vision, today they probably get a pat on the back for saving the company money.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

My personally, I love the fact that it's still there. I love riding the boat to Fort Wilderness and getting to catch a glimpse of it. It's the same feeling I get of nostalgia when on the same boat trip we pass Discovery Island. The nets and buildings are all still there, though the nets were cut open to allow the birds to fly away if they so chose. I keep saying that one of these days I'm gonna take a swim out there.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast