Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; capt jack sparrow is a minus....back to the original with you ride!! back i say...
    dcbush12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am from Ohio....far far from Disney World

Re: "Minusing"

capt jack sparrow is a minus....back to the original with you ride!! back i say
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    Aug. 2008----Coronado Springs (Engaged!)
    Dec. 2009----POFC (Honeymoon!!)
    June 2010----PORS

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by dcbush12 View Post
    capt jack sparrow is a minus....back to the original with you ride!! back i say
    POTC is a perfect example of minusing. There used to be such detail that I enjoyed, I liked the skull that warned you before the waterfall, the clouds projected on the ceiling used to be more extensive...the last time I was there they weren't even working. The cannon fire which used to sound outside the ride before you even came into the building has been silenced. PC concerns have changed the chase scene to the detriment of the ride. I could go on and on...

I am not a fan of the Depp movies so his inclusion is an INTRUSION as far as I'm concerned.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

A minusing X3

Remember when these guys used to be in the Mile Long Bar? I do. I vividly remember my first trip to WDW in the 70's. My family and I saw the Country Bears and after the show was over you were let out into a restaurant which is now called Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn & Cafe. As soon as you walked out of the Bear's theater there on the wall facing you were Max, Buff, and Melvin. They came to life and sang about how you should get something to eat or drink. As an 8 year old I was amazed! How did those 3 talking heads get here? They were just in the room I left! To me(and I'm sure to nearly every other kid first timer) it was magical*. Sadly they were removed in 1998 when the restaurant was renamed and renovated.

*note: I believe this was the first time I have ever used the word "magical" in a post. This first use demonstrates the depth of feeling I have for this issue.

Here is a video from youtube that shows Max, Buff & Melvin in action:
    YouTube - Mile Long Bar - Melvin, Buff & Max

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

that's awesome... i don't think i ever saw that on any of my past vacations... that might be something that if they could they should "plus" it back into pecos bills....

i think the biggest form of minusing wdw ever did was filling in the lagoon and adding poohs playful spot... i am still disgusted that i never got a chance to ride it... my 1st vacation was in october of 1994...

i just found this thread and kinda started a poll that is very similar...

Worst WDW refurb/update or closure...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post

Remember when these guys used to be in the Mile Long Bar? I do. I vividly remember my first trip to WDW in the 70's. My family and I saw the Country Bears and after the show was over you were let out into a restaurant which is now called Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn & Cafe. As soon as you walked out of the Bear's theater there on the wall facing you were Max, Buff, and Melvin. They came to life and sang about how you should get something to eat or drink. As an 8 year old I was amazed! How did those 3 talking heads get here? They were just in the room I left! To me(and I'm sure to nearly every other kid first timer) it was magical*. Sadly they were removed in 1998 when the restaurant was renamed and renovated.
    Sadly, I miss the Christmas version. The last Christmas we were there they didn't flip it to the Christmas version. That is just cheap Minusing.

Here is a video from youtube that shows Max, Buff & Melvin in action:
    YouTube - Mile Long Bar - Melvin, Buff & Max
    Yep, I've been bringing my DS since 88 and DD since 92. DS was the one to notice the changes first. Did you notice the little girl so excited to see the 3 heads talking. Now that is magical moments.

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    that's awesome... i don't think i ever saw that on any of my past vacations... that might be something that if they could they should "plus" it back into pecos bills....

i think the biggest form of minusing wdw ever did was filling in the lagoon and adding poohs playful spot... i am still disgusted that i never got a chance to ride it... my 1st vacation was in october of 1994...
    I tell my DD that indeed she rode the subs in the lagoon. She was 2 months old, but by golly, she can say she rode them!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Sadly, I miss the Christmas version. The last Christmas we were there they didn't flip it to the Christmas version. That is just cheap Minusing.

I know i agree... I didn't realize just how much ppl actually like that change... i always viewed it as a change of pace for the attraction... and my family always goes to wdw right after Thanksgiving... and the last 2 times i have been down there with them... no xmas version...

its just sad... sad...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Minusing by addition

Above are two photos from the same location. In the first photo MGM's/DHS' Chinese theater is easily visible. In the next photo some joker plopped down a meaningless Harry Potter hat with giant sixes on either side and a Mickey hand. (Yes, I know it's sorcerer Mickey, I was being facetious)

To my mind they have minused the location by an unfortunate addition. You may even like the monstrosity, but can you really say it looks like it BELONGS there?

at night time yes!!!! i love how cool that hat looks at night....keep in mind the first time I went since I was 5 the hat was already there
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    June 2010----PORS

Quote Originally Posted by dcbush12 View Post
    at night time yes!!!! i love how cool that hat looks at night....keep in mind the first time I went since I was 5 the hat was already there

You've been indoctrinated by the evil hat. I don't hold you responsible. But you must know that this was done to you because you've been deprived of the original vision. I've seen MGM when it first opened and know how good it looked compared to now. Renounce the hat....it's not too late!

You've been indoctrinated by the evil hat. I don't hold you responsible. But you must know that this was done to you because you've been deprived of the original vision. I've seen MGM when it first opened and know how good it looked compared to now. Renounce the hat....it's not too late!

haha! that made me laugh for a while. but just as you know MGM with the chinese theater, i only know it with the hat, so that is what i love. If it makes you feel any better i do still call it MGM most of the time haha
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    June 2010----PORS

I wasn't being serious. I don't care if anyone really likes big hat or not...I'm just stating my opinion in a quiet, subtle, understated way.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The Hat, placed in that location has bugged me from Day 1. If Walt was alive, I believe the Hat placement would have been elsewhere.

Original Imagineers were careful not to mess with the theme of the areas.
    In that section you are coming from Days Gone Bye feel of stores, the beautiful theater, the Brown Derby, all the same theming. And then plopping of the Hat. It broke up the visual of the entire area and its cohesive theming.

Would Walt plop that Hat in Adventureland or Frontier? Last time I was in the Hat it was a Pin Shop. Again, the mighty dollar over Walt's visions.
    That Hat could be so many other places where it actually fits in. Tucked in near Fantasmic would be good. Tuck it in though, don't let it mess with the ToT.

I did not notice if anyone mentioned the reasoning behind why the sorcerer mickey hat is there...

but....

i was told that it was put there for a reason other than the hat being a symbol of the park... if you remember back in the early days, many of the t-shirts and memorabilia used the chinese theater as a sort of icon. (that and the water tower) apparantly the Grauman family sued the Disney company saying that it is making money using their theater as an icon... Disney must have lost, and as a result had to actually obscure the view of the theater from the entrance...

thus the mickey hat replaced the theater as the main park icon...

weird isnt it...?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast