Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by eeyore1974 Something I've seen as "minusing" in my more recent visits has been the friendliness of (some) staff. I remember my first trips in 2001 and 2002 ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: "Minusing"

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore1974 View Post
    Something I've seen as "minusing" in my more recent visits has been the friendliness of (some) staff. I remember my first trips in 2001 and 2002 - every single cast member we came in contact with was AMAZING!!! However, our last two trips, we ran into several cast members who, IMO, did not live up to the WDW service promise. I encountered two different cast members complaining about their jobs in public spaces, surrounded my guests. It's just not what I expect from employees in front of paying guests/customers in any service industry, let alone at WDW.

I've had similar experiences. While on property I don't feel like a "guest" very often.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I will disagree with you. But only this once. The new animatronics added into (the first half of) the new version are incredible.
    Mike, im with you on this... if we had Jeremy Irons narrating this first half with the 1994 second half... we might have a decent attraction... sadly this is not possible...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

OK, in the interest of getting a lively discussion about Disney off the Random Thoughts thread and kinda where it is more appropriate, I've taken the last few posts and moved them here so we can continue if we are so motivated to do so. Seems like a good thread for this type of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I completely understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

Besides, the Disney corporation has never been hurting for money, so it's an excuse I have a very hard time swallowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyFromMD View Post
    We just have different opinions..

I love the new spaceship earth, and I like the narration more than the first one

I love the new Journey, it's actually one of my favorite rides, but I never saw the original dream finder so I can't compare the two.. And I agree the upstairs situation is a mess

I never saw Horizons, but I can say i like to do mission space 2 times a trip, after that it gets boring, It does sounds like horizons could be seen several times

You see, the problem isn't disney just closing stuff and rebuilding, it's sponsoring.. Noone wants to sponsor Wonders of Life, so how can disney keep that open and not lose money.. Is it a shame, yes, but it's not disney's fault.. It's just that times are rough and companies are going to sponsor the "coolest" rides, as in mission space and test tracks.. Hopefully when times become better, we can see places like wonders reopen..
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I do agree, you don't miss what you never had. I'm not a fan of putting words in Walt's mouth. His quotes of a very long time ago do not necessarily translate to today's society. Yet basic premise is correct and you often need to spend money to make money and WDW was neglected on a whole as they developed rapidly elsewhere and they are paying for that now.

The shuttering of Future World has been going on way too long. It should be an embarrassment to Disney, yet they do not seem to be ashamed. The Odyssey has been retrofitted to be many things since it closed, yet none have been done well. While Disney shoves many special groups in vacant areas of Epcot, none give the feel of Disney, you are just plopped in an abandoned attraction to drink some wine and chow down. To me that is sloppy on Corporate Disney.

The profit margins would be better with sponsors however when a corporation is charging high admission there should be ownership for their own facilities and blaming the lack of sponsorship just isn't flying with most guests.
    Right, and I have no problem with that. As long as it improves upon something, and on something that needed to be improved upon.

The descent in Spaceship Earth is not an improvement on the original version.

The current travesty of Journey is not an improvement on the original. Especially with the upstairs arcade being closed.

Mission: Space is not an improvement over Horizons. With the exception of the excellent queue.

And while Test Track is equally as cool as World of Motion, why did the latter have to be sacrificed for it? They happen to have lots of open land out there.

Why is Wonders of Life sitting completely closed? For years!

Ditto The Odyssey.

These moves don't strike me as moving forward, they strike me as grasping at straws. And had you seen the original EPCOT once The Living Seas and Horizons were open, you'd understand.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    I did not notice if anyone mentioned the reasoning behind why the sorcerer mickey hat is there...

but....

i was told that it was put there for a reason other than the hat being a symbol of the park... if you remember back in the early days, many of the t-shirts and memorabilia used the chinese theater as a sort of icon. (that and the water tower) apparantly the Grauman family sued the Disney company saying that it is making money using their theater as an icon... Disney must have lost, and as a result had to actually obscure the view of the theater from the entrance...

thus the mickey hat replaced the theater as the main park icon...

weird isnt it...?
    That makes sense, but I wish there were a better Icon, however, NON Disney freaks, like that silly thing. Some of our acquaintances bragged about getting many photos of "that hat" as if they had struck gold. I think for serious Disney fans-history, tradition and honoring the original intent-it is kind of awful, but for "tourist" Disney fans it is fine. My opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I've had similar experiences. While on property I don't feel like a "guest" very often.

Have had similar experiences. Sometimes they are amazing but every once in a while, usually at the resort, I feel like a total intrusion on someones work day. Of course, at All Star resorts, I sort of expect it now.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

To me, the biggest difference between Disney World of 20 years ago and now is simply this: they no longer strive for perfection. They used to famous for fastidious maintenance and upkeep. The idea of abandoning an attraction and leaving it moulder in plain sight was impossible then. Compare that to now. I don't think this fact can be disputed.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Here's what I say to that... (by the way I like the plug to a post I created a year ago...) I think that the latter of the Eisner era was where we are seeing the shuttering of these attractions... The closing of WoL... The opening and shuttering of the Odyssey (which I hear is opening again...) think of what has been done in the last 2 years... The skyways being torn down... The cleaning up of JiI (though it doesn't makeup for what it is still) the refurbishment of Pleasure Island... These are things that were just shut down and left to rot... I will be ther first to get on Disney's case about what is or is not being done... But I think we are seeing a sort of change o the guard in the last year or two... The Bob Iger plan is beginning to take shape... I think John Lasseter is getting his legs under him at WDI... And the imagineers are in a state of rejuvenation... Let's see what happens in the next year... I'm willing to hold judgement until then...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Fair point. I'm not an optimist (SHOCKING revelation) but perhaps they are about to move in the right direction.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    To me, the biggest difference between Disney World of 20 years ago and now is simply this: they no longer strive for perfection. They used to famous for fastidious maintenance and upkeep. The idea of abandoning an attraction and leaving it moulder in plain sight was impossible then. Compare that to now. I don't think this fact can be disputed.
    Outstanding point. One of the things my wife and I noticed our last couple of trips was how much dirtier the parks tend to be.

Two decades ago you'd have had to try with all your might to find an ice cream wrapper on the ground. Not quite that difficult these days.

And that's not nostalgia, that's simply the way it is.

And that's not nostalgia, that's simply the way it is.
    Absolutely. Sadly, many apologists are unwilling to believe the truth.

ThatGuyFromMD is offline Yes, I Am That Guy

That is 100% true.. Even in recent years it's gotten worse, I remember my first trip back in 2003. Sure, there were a few pieces of trash, but you would always see a worker rushing to clean the trash.. My last trip was 2009, and within just 6 years, there is more trash just lying around the place.. Just some of the workers don't feel like fully doing their job, and thats a shame because I'm sure there are some people that would do a great job and work with that disney happiness
    Carol Brown just took a bus out of town,
    But I'm hoping that you'll stick around

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...-Thread-Part-V <-- you see that, you should click on it and talk with us

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Part of the problem was when Eisner came in he slashed salaries. Monstrously. I know because my brother was a CM there at the time.

That's not to point a true finger of blame at Eisner. Disney, as a whole was reeling, and WDW was honestly paying their employees way too much. It was the first logical cut to make.

But, that cut also started the downward trend of of quality CM's.

ThatGuyFromMD is offline Yes, I Am That Guy

Do they just make minimum rage now? Or is it lower then that?
    Carol Brown just took a bus out of town,
    But I'm hoping that you'll stick around

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...-Thread-Part-V <-- you see that, you should click on it and talk with us

I have no idea. I'd seriously doubt new CM's make much more than $8. Just a hunch.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Minimum wage? Disney? Nah. lol
    Last edited by supernova; 07-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Part of the problem was when Eisner came in he slashed salaries. Monstrously. I know because my brother was a CM there at the time.

That's not to point a true finger of blame at Eisner. Disney, as a whole was reeling, and WDW was honestly paying their employees way too much. It was the first logical cut to make.

But, that cut also started the downward trend of of quality CM's.
    Local retail stores don't pay their employees well. Why should someone selling Disney pins and hats be making anything different? In the end, retail is retail.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast