Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; But Gabe, you ignored my last point. Where do you draw the line? You've got to close the parks, and get all of the guests out. Do you simply shut ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: "Minusing"

But Gabe, you ignored my last point. Where do you draw the line? You've got to close the parks, and get all of the guests out.

Do you simply shut down attractions an hour before closing? The attractions themselves aren't making money outside of the initial draw.

I can definitely see your side (although, I still disagree about the resort loop), but it just doesn't seem as though they're doing anything that would be counterproductive to their bottom line.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    But Gabe, you ignored my last point. Where do you draw the line? You've got to close the parks, and get all of the guests out.
    If anything that supports my opinion more.
    The Halloween party is only open until 12pm. EMH at times stays open until 1, 2 and and very busy times 3am.

Do you simply shut down attractions an hour before closing? The attractions themselves aren't making money outside of the initial draw.
    They start washing things down towards the end, they bring out the huge garbage tumblers. The only thing I have not seen on an open attraction is the firehouse power washing.

I can definitely see your side (although, I still disagree about the resort loop), but it just doesn't seem as though they're doing anything that would be counterproductive to their bottom line.
    If you have to hustle out to get on the monorail before they shut down, you are not stopping at the bakery, the stores, the balloon vendor and countless other dollar driven venues. Disney has always raked in the dollars at closing.

Impulse buying really helps the bottom line.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Hmmm...well, I guess we're not going to completely agree on this. But, one thing I will say is that I can't consider them "dumb" for having this policy.

I can't imagine what it's like to have to shut those parks down, so I'm willing to grant some leeway. They've been doing it for 56 years now. I have no option but to defer to them as experts on the situation.

HeeHee. Your are right, we disagree. I figure if Disney could run the monorail for 40 years until an hour or so after the Parks close they are likely capable of doing it now especially since the compliment is fully up to speed now. Go figure.

I could probably start a thread of the Dumbs of Disney in the last decade but Minusing beat me to it. Giggle.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My DS friend was a CP, monorail pilot I believe 2 years ago. I believe he was earning just around $7.00/hr. Bet most purchases in the store are over $7.00. If I were Disney I'd let the guests buy every last thing they wanted as they exit up Main Street.
    This goes beyond paying a high school kid an hourly wage to drive a monorail. There are several employees on each platform, plus those waiting at the hanger to power down the monorails, all of whom are most likely paid by the hour. Plus the cost of power to run the train. Loads of costs involved besides the pilot's minimum wage.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

And the fuel for all the buses they have to have instead isn't cheap. Then again neither is a monorail hotel or tickets to the park. Disney is so fortunate and planned well that they do not have to pay outside sources for power or garbage etc. It was good planning way back when. They certainly limited their outside expenses.

I didn't know they allowed high school kids to pilot the monorail. Now that is two things I learned today. That sure could open a can of worms. Before they had to be 21
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-01-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Wow. First, by rules of etiquette, putting a a precursor of no offense does not excuse offensive statements, just saying.

Second, how do you know me? How do you know my family and friends along with who they are employed by or are you just making that up off the cuff? Some pretty big assumptions. Seriously, I can't wait to hear how you garnered that information about me that you shared with our members here.

It is your opinion that it is not a big deal, so be that. I have mine. Me<------when I have stayed at a Monorail hotel, I kinda want the monorail. The perk of staying in the Contemporary to me is the monorail and I find it a big deal not to be able to ride it back when I stay there, if that is from the MK or Epcot.
    Jeez. I wasn't trying to be offensive at all or assume anything at all. I was just pointing out that there are many financial factors involved in the decision and that Disney is NEVER going to make a decision that is not pored over with a fine-toothed comb first in terms of financials. EVER.

You started your post by saying Disney is dumb. Please spare me the lectures.

New Magic Kingdom Bus Load zones will be added to allow the Park to Park buses for the Magic Kingdom instead of the TTC.

New zones will also service the Magic Kingdom monorail resorts, the Magic Kingdom to TTC, and Magic Kingdom to Epcot. These load zones will provide bus backup routes for times when the monorail is unavailable.

Interesting. Disney will need apx. 8 buses to create the volume of one monorail. At least Disney listened to the out-cry from the Guests who did not want to go to the TTC to transfer to a 2nd bus.

It will be interesting to see how well this goes over with the Monorail Hotel Guests being bused later at night for EMH's. Walking to bus area at Epcot vs Monorail and being bussed back to their Monorail Hotel. I wonder if Disney has consolidated all the Monorail Guests onto one bus or if each hotel will have their own bus. Out of Epcot will TTC have a separate bus?

That is a lot of buses, drivers and fuel. But good for Job creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Morrow View Post
    Jeez. I wasn't trying to be offensive at all or assume anything at all. I was just pointing out that there are many financial factors involved in the decision and that Disney is NEVER going to make a decision that is not pored over with a fine-toothed comb first in terms of financials. EVER.

You started your post by saying Disney is dumb. Please spare me the lectures.
    Indeed I called a Corporation Dumb, I also on another thread called Bank of America Dumb for planning to charge its customers $5 per month to use their debit card.

Yes I did read the condescending education on Disney financial decisions, thanks, my degree in Business Administration didn't cover that.

Unfortunately Disney has made so many financial blunders their combs are missing tines. 1st editions of Fantasyland and Hyperion. To stop construction after engineering, drawings and contracts being let is a financial nightmare. Disney's brilliant bungling of the DVC annual dues for their new Hawaiian DVC. Bungled so badly that DVC sales had to halt. So true they Never make a decision without pouring over it, Ever, but they are inept often with that fine tooth comb. CM's for Hawaii alone cost Disney a fortune with their fine tooth comb. As a stock holder I wouldn't exactly give them a bonus for their financial brilliance.

So I'll stick with my opinion that I don't believe this Monorail decision is going to financially pan out.

And the fuel for all the buses they have to have instead isn't cheap. Then again neither is a monorail hotel or tickets to the park. Disney is so fortunate and planned well that they do not have to pay outside sources for power or garbage etc. It was good planning way back when. They certainly limited their outside expenses.
    From your original statement, it sounded like your biggest defense of running the monorails all night was that the driver was being paid $7 an hour so they could easily afford to keep it going. As far as merchandise goes, as long as it only affects three resorts (well, two, considering you can walk to the Contemporary) (well, one, considering the other two have boat launces), Disney will still be cleaning up in merchandise sales from guests of the other dozen hotels, plus locals and off-property visitors, I guess they're willing to forego Poly's guest's money. Plus, chances are they'll be back in the parks tomorrow. And then next day. So their money isn't gone for good. Just for the night, and even then, only a half hour's worth. The people at the value resorts are paying $49 a night to stay. They have TONS of money left over. They'll make up for it

It is your opinion that it is not a big deal, so be that. I have mine. Me<------when I have stayed at a Monorail hotel, I kinda want the monorail. The perk of staying in the Contemporary to me is the monorail and I find it a big deal not to be able to ride it back when I stay there, if that is from the MK or Epcot.
    Odd that it's the one monorail resort that doesn't offer a boat launch, as far as I can remember. Or maybe it does and it's the only one I haven't ridden on yet?
    Last edited by supernova; 11-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    From your original statement, it sounded like your biggest defense of running the monorails all night was that the driver was being paid $7 an hour so they could easily afford to keep it going. As far as merchandise goes, as long as it only affects three resorts (well, two, considering you can walk to the Contemporary) (well, one, considering the other two have boat launches), Disney will still be cleaning up in merchandise sales from guests of the other dozen hotels, plus locals and off-property visitors, I guess they're willing to forego Poly's guest's money. Plus, chances are they'll be back in the parks tomorrow. And then next day. So their money isn't gone for good. Just for the night, and even then, only a half hour's worth. The people at the value resorts are paying $49 a night to stay. They have TONS of money left over. They'll make up for it
    Me<-----The perk of being in a monorail hotel is the monorail. Cost, I still cannot wrap my brain around the employee cost of buses over monorails. Buses have a shorter life, much smaller capacity, fuel, maintence, tires etc. Most bus drivers earn more than most monorail drivers according to the range of union contract. I'd love to sneak a peek at the cost breakdown. If the accountants made a boo boo, at least they can just return to normal operation of the monorail. It doesn't have to be permenant.

Impulse buying is just that. Speciality mechandise is sometimes only available during the special event. Often people don't go back to the same park the next day or even the same trip.

I pulled up the Value hotel rates and they are higher than $49 a night. Actually almost double. Very lowest was $84 in new prices and high season $169. I'd be surprised if people had tons of money left over that stay at Value resorts. I'm speculating, many at least are on pretty tight budgets for their vacations.

Now if what you've stated, Disney is now allowing high school students to pilot the monorails, the wage is likely the same starting rate however the benefits to high school student is likely lower. Though I'd think the Risk on their insurance premiums likely went up. I am still stunned that Disney would assign a high school student to the role of pilot, especially after the crash.

Odd that it's the one monorail resort that doesn't offer a boat launch, as far as I can remember. Or maybe it does and it's the only one I haven't ridden on yet?
    I've riden the launch to both the Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness and in the day to Discovery Island, I never rode it to the MK, likely cause there isn't one? I think it maybe because of the dock being on the flip side of the Contemporary. Maybe? I know the road goes under there for vehicles (buses too) so that may play into it.

Quote Originally Posted by supe
    As far as merchandise goes, as long as it only affects three resorts (well, two, considering you can walk to the Contemporary) (well, one, considering the other two have boat launces)
    Now, I'll readily admit I've always been horrid at math, but doesn't this equal zero?

BTW, can we at least all agree that it's pretty humorous that us common folk are sitting here worrying about WDW potentially NOT maximizing the cash intake?

Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Now, I'll readily admit I've always been horrid at math, but doesn't this equal zero?
    I'm re-reading and I think I'm OK there. But only if you accept that the Contemporary is being counted twice.

I'm always open to negotiations.

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast