Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by WDW4Ever Nostalgia is not about what we have lost but what we haven't found. I'm sure that is deep on some level, but it is incorrect nonetheless. ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: "Minusing"

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Nostalgia is not about what we have lost but what we haven't found.
    I'm sure that is deep on some level, but it is incorrect nonetheless. If it weren't. then what was the point of you talking about those of us who grew up with WDW in the 70's and 80's thinking that it "vacuums" now (even if that is a bit of an overstatement)?

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

In the literal sense of nostalgia yes, people will always be nostalgic for times gone by, but the reason we feel so much nostalgia now is because nothing good has replaced what we no longer have. In another 30, 40, years, kids of today will be nostalgic for Carsland.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

In the literal sense of nostalgia yes, people will always be nostalgic for times gone by, but the reason we feel so much nostalgia now is because nothing good has replaced what we no longer have. In another 30, 40, years, kids of today will be nostalgic for Carsland.
    And that thought makes me wanna' wretch.
    Dumbed-down idiocracy creeping closer and closer.
    Unfortunately, it's all - and I mean ALL - about the numbers...
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    And that thought makes me wanna' wretch.
    Dumbed-down idiocracy creeping closer and closer.
    Unfortunately, it's all - and I mean ALL - about the numbers...
    Exactly. All I'm sayin' is nostalgia is all relative.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Exactly. All I'm sayin' is nostalgia is all relative.
    I kinda get where you are coming from now, but even if nostalgia is relative it is still about what has been lost.

You can't "find" something that no longer exists.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney use to be far more creative in hiding the operational side of their attractions and keeping that stuff backstage. Doesn't seem to matter anymore.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 08-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Did you post a pic? I see a box representing a broken link.

Can you explain what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Did you post a pic? I see a box representing a broken link.

Can you explain what it is?
    Oy. I cannot find a pattern for the glitches here. So yes I can explain. If you are standing on the main sidewalk facing the the big drop on the outside of the mountain. The ride was still operational without the water effect running, it was dry, so it looked more like a roller coaster coming down a hill.

There is an older YouTube from a few years ago I believe that captured Splash without the Splash. It is interesting to see that break in the magic.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

This site remains beyond buggy. I'm using Chrome, so it may be something on my end, who knows?

Now then, I suppose I agree. I haven't seen it without the cascading water, so I can't say for sure what I think about it.

Either way, the bottom line is that WDW, in recent years, has started to allow small details like this (and yes, in the grand scheme they are still small) go without fixing them. Journey is broken in so many ways. As is Everest (not even counting the 800lbs Yeti in the room).

IIRC, you've been attending WDW about as long as I have (mid 70's). Things like this would have never been allowed to happen then.

Does it destroy the experience? No. But, it does diminish it some.

I love the Disney Parks Blog put this yesteryear montage together for us of the yesteryear's of Sea Base Alpha in today's blog.

The Irony though in Disney itself bemoaning the better days gone bye is humorous and telling.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...=Yahoo%21+Mail

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

even with their subtle nods to the past it still seems as though they are making mistakes that never would have happened 10-20 years ago... i blame park management... there is no accountability here...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    even with their subtle nods to the past it still seems as though they are making mistakes that never would have happened 10-20 years ago... i blame park management... there is no accountability here...
    Nope. They swap the management around when one receives too much heat. To much time, money and energy being spent on new FP+'s, a magic door swipe and FPing attractions that are fillers. Management seems to be far more interested in the guests plan than they are in their own strategic plan. Even when management comes up with a strategic plan it is a flip of the coin if announcement means it is coming to this generation of guests. By the time (if) Avatar is built, the teens then might not even know what Avatar was.

Yesteryear many things didn't get built either however they didn't announce them, stop, demolish, retool or abandon. In my dream world I'd like to toss the lot of them and bring back the old timers they sent away. Just look as an example how long it took them to get their act together for AoA resort and they didn't care what an eye sore it was to Pop or the bridge to nowhere. Seeing more and more of this, Wharf.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

yeh... eventually we heard about them... but that was years down the line... the internet is responsible for our wealth of knowledge and information... we have demanded it and Disney has delivered... sometimes I think we need to accept the good with the bad... there now are times where things are announced that just never happen...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

As we know the last lift in Splash has been leaking rain down since last summer. Then in late October rock wall came crashing down into the log load area. Second week of November more rock collapsing. Now Disney has new theming at Splash Loading area similar to the theming around the Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom:

But the lighting in the queue now flickers for effect.

I did enjoy the view of the castle through the cherry trees before they put the stage upfront of the castle.
    The double ramp was majestic.

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast