Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; POTC-Polly=Minusing...
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: "Minusing"

POTC-Polly=Minusing

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

the $99,000 questions has to be... why???
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

My guess is because it's cheaper NOT to have the AA parrot.

I really hope that this is not true...

Disney going cheap by getting rid of the parrot
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

MMDGP is offline A-Ticket holder

The biggest "minus" as far as I'm concerned was the re-do of Tomorrowland that occurred somewhere between the 70's and the 2000's. I loved the blue-and-white theme of the original Tomorrowland, with the light blue waterfalls marking the entrance, and the original white star-jets that looked like real Apollo rockets, that you would see when walking down the main path into Tomorrowland. It reminded me of my favorite cartoon of the time, The Jetsons.

When they did the replacement with the darker colors and the planetarium-type structures, they made it look like something out of an antiquated '50's comic book. I was so disappointed when I made my first trip to the "new" Tomorrowland and felt like instead of walking into the future, I was walking into an old comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    The empress Lilly, before they sold off Walt's Wife's name sake for $$.
    But at least the Empress Lilly lives on as Fulton's Crab House!

What I miss is the Moonlight Cruise that used to depart from the Polynesian in the mid-70's.

Widen Your World - The Polynesian Village Resort Hotel

I think the 12th paragraph talks about the cruise you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    Widen Your World - The Polynesian Village Resort Hotel

I think the 12th paragraph talks about the cruise you mentioned.
    Actually, I don't remember the "Eastern Winds." But I just did a little Googling and I am sure that THIS link - which contains actual pictures which match my memory of the boat in question - which is called the Southern Seas - DOES. The Moonlight Cruise is also explicitly mentioned in the first paragraph after the "Epcot Opens...." section header near the bottom of the page.

http://www.wcdept478.com/AboutSSeas2.htm

Thanks anyway for the link you posted - I have actually visited that site before, but it's been a while, and it's always great to relive those memories of the Polynesian. I've been to the World a total of 6 times from 1976 to 2001, and have never stayed anywhere else while at Disney.

Excellent link MMDGP! I never heard of that boat before. My first trip to disney was in '76 but I was only 8 and we stayed off property.

Above are two photos from the same location. In the first photo MGM's/DHS' Chinese theater is easily visible. In the next photo some joker plopped down a meaningless Harry Potter hat with giant sixes on either side and a Mickey hand. (Yes, I know it's sorcerer Mickey, I was being facetious)

To my mind they have minused the location by an unfortunate addition. You may even like the monstrosity, but can you really say it looks like it BELONGS there?
    I felt the same way about the infamous Epcot Spaceship Earth Wand that was there during my last trip in 2001. I understand that finally came down a year or two ago, and to that I say HOOORAY!

Shopping in the Magic Kingdom used to be a unique experience. There used to be themed shops that sold items which were exclusive to WDW. The House of Magic was one of those places. It sold tricks, and jokes, and other cool things. They now sell t-shirts and stuffed animals in that space...just like the kind you can get in the mall near your house. Merchandising is also subject to minusing.
    I don't personally remember the House of Magic - it wouldn't have been something I would have been interested in at the time - but you can be sure you've got a fellow House Of Magic fan in Lou Mongello - he's explicitly mentioned his own fondness and nostalgia for that shop on the podcast multiple times!

Quote Originally Posted by MMDGP View Post
    I felt the same way about the infamous Epcot Spaceship Earth Wand that was there during my last trip in 2001. I understand that finally came down a year or two ago, and to that I say HOOORAY!

The Epcot wand/arm was really tacky. I hated it and hope the hat winds up in the same junkyard

What really got me about the wand was... ok i get it... it was ok for the millennium. it was ok that they wanted to do something like that for the y2k... but then they took off the 2000 and replaced it with "Epcot". does anyone here actually think Disney listened to the fans... most people could not stand the wand, but for the sake that "hey it'll only be up for a year... i can live with it till then," they dealt with it... but magically (or not) the wand was still up 5 yrs. later... only after they heard the backlash against the wand did they even think about taking it down...

whew... sorry i have a real hatred for that wand... and i get a little excited when i think about it...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

At least it wasn't the "Pink-Birthday-Caking" of the Cinderella Castle. I remember even Lou - who never has a bad word to say about Disney, EVER - railing against that one!

Quote Originally Posted by MMDGP View Post
    At least it wasn't the "Pink-Birthday-Caking" of the Cinderella Castle. I remember even Lou - who never has a bad word to say about Disney, EVER - railing against that one!

The "cakestle" was hokie looking but at least it was very short-lived. How long was that up for...less than a year?

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast