Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss "Minusing" in the I Remember... forums; Originally Posted by MartianCrab Disney traded their fastidiousness and reputation for profit. Yep. Can't argue with that. Originally Posted by supernova In the end, they certainly stepped up Phase II. ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: "Minusing"

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Disney traded their fastidiousness and reputation for profit.
    Yep. Can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    In the end, they certainly stepped up Phase II. With the amazing theme-ing they did across Art of Animation, it's a wonder people stay at Pop at all these days. Hmmm... an incredible Cars Radiator Springs layout vs giant yo-yo's...
    I've only stayed at one value, once and that was Pop. I picked it because it was smaller and had better busing.

AoA outside is themed nicely but aside from the Mermaid buildings it is expensive for a value. For that price I'd rather stay at a moderate. It all depends on guests personal taste in decor but I favor the room decor of POR over AoA, I just don't enjoy animation in my hotel room, but to each there own.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort last week and I was impressed. Everything was clean, freshly-painted, etc. We usually stay at the All Stars so this was a treat. CBR's pool was especially nice, and the little island we had to cross to get to the shop/restaurants was beautifully landscaped.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort last week and I was impressed. Everything was clean, freshly-painted, etc. We usually stay at the All Stars so this was a treat. CBR's pool was especially nice, and the little island we had to cross to get to the shop/restaurants was beautifully landscaped.
    I've never stayed there, and outside of the gift shop, I don't think I've explored the resort ever. Need to check it out some day. If I'm not mistaken, my ex's sister stayed there, and I met up with her for lunch. Wasn't overly impressed by the restaurant we ate in, and it's the same place I'm thinking of, everything was very spread out. Will have to drive over and wander the central grounds and the pool area in December.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

The Caribbean was the first moderate. It was the first time with son we stayed as a family on property. But with it being the first the mistakes were made. At first it didn't have a TS restaurant but was added years later. Also it is indeed spread out. I find it to be the best moderate pool for children. My son was 3 and loved pirates. One day he deemed he wanted to stay at the Pirate pool and not go to the parks, he loved it that much.

That was our only stay at the Caribbean and we moved onto Port Orleans and Dixie after that. I stayed in 2012 at the Coronado and history seemed to repeat itself with real spread out resort buildings.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I like to walk so the idea of it being spread out didn't occur to me, but I guess it was. We stayed in the "Aruba" bldg. We didn't do the sit-down restaurant (Shutters) but we ate at the food court on two nights and I got breakfast one morning. The pirate themed pool was neat but it was full of dead bugs at night. It was almost like swimming in soup.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I'm a walker, too, but sometimes you need a destination to walk to, rather than just walk. On the last day of my trip, I always change hotels from Wilderness Lodge to Saratoga Springs, and request a room at the Grand Stand. From there, I walk clear across the grounds over to Downtown Disney. It's nice to walk along the lake and see all sorts of wildlife... snakes, frogs, turtles, and birds. I usually walk back, too, but this time I took the boat, just for a change of pace. Next time, I'm going to try the walk over to the West Side. Somehow, I never gave that entrance much thought.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I'm a walker, too, but sometimes you need a destination to walk to, rather than just walk. On the last day of my trip, I always change hotels from Wilderness Lodge to Saratoga Springs, and request a room at the Grand Stand. From there, I walk clear across the grounds over to Downtown Disney. It's nice to walk along the lake and see all sorts of wildlife... snakes, frogs, turtles, and birds. I usually walk back, too, but this time I took the boat, just for a change of pace. Next time, I'm going to try the walk over to the West Side. Somehow, I never gave that entrance much thought.
    I too am a walker at least 5 miles a day so Disney isn't an issue for me but my DH not so much. Saratoga is pretty and huge, so huge that is where or previous Govern took his family to hide out prior to his trial, but his trademark "hair" got him spotted in the pool.

If you are going to Saratoga Springs this year the West Side sidewalk is still open however the one to DTD is closed possibly until the DTD conversion to Springs is complete, so maybe several years.

Edit:

"Throngs of guests connect between the Disney Marketplace and Disney's East Side though the old Pleasure Island area. Walls on the right now take in the entire area between the old Mannequins and the Comedy Warehouse. Walls on the backside were put up earlier for the Hyperion project. Photo by J. Jeff Kober."
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-25-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    supernova likes this.

This kind of billboard ads annoy me. One right after the other slapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I too am a walker at least 5 miles a day so Disney isn't an issue for me but my DH not so much. Saratoga is pretty and huge, so huge that is where or previous Govern took his family to hide out prior to his trial, but his trademark "hair" got him spotted in the pool.

If you are going to Saratoga Springs this year the West Side sidewalk is still open however the one to DTD is closed possibly until the DTD conversion to Springs is complete, so maybe several years.
    After seeing Zarkana, my wife is now interested in seeing La Nouba, so we purchased tickets to the show. That will be our West Side walk over, this way even if things are blocked off, I won't need to head to the Marketplace that evening anyway. That's usually how we spend the last day on property before we drive back to the airport, so we've got Thursday for our walk to the other side.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

This kind of billboard ads annoy me. One right after the other slapped up.
    Sadly, DHS has been billboard-central for as long as I can remember, but now things are getting worse there. Plus the buses have gone the way of those in the big city, with ads inside as well. But to promote things on the outside of the monorail? They went too far there, in my opinion. How much more money do these people need? And it's not even sponsorship money to say the ads inside the bus are from outside companies. They're trying to get OUR money.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

After seeing Zarkana, my wife is now interested in seeing La Nouba, so we purchased tickets to the show. That will be our West Side walk over, this way even if things are blocked off, I won't need to head to the Marketplace that evening anyway. That's usually how we spend the last day on property before we drive back to the airport, so we've got Thursday for our walk to the other side.
    If possible take a few pictures. I can't really wrap my brain around the construction other than most of the parking is gone, even the asphalt is removed. Know they are working on a Pleasure Island bypass bridge over water for construction. IF I am getting it, there are still buildings left to demo at Pleasure Island territory, uber fans have been taking their last tours of the area. Disney statements say the two mega parking garages will be in place in 2014 however under photos I've seen in the same statement the caption of the photos says coming in 2015?

My guess is it is going to be difficult for some of these West Side businesses to stay in business over the years of construction without parking. It is my understanding that a good chunk of the business Disney hopes to attract into the new high end rent district of the project are Branded, expensive stores. Rumors are Disney doesn't have Branded folks knocking down the door to climb on board though there is plenty of time. Same goes for the new restaurants, looking for Branded establishments to sink money into. Unfortunately the data research indicates Guests are there to shop at the World of Disney and favor QS venues for the most part or family friendly places like TRex or Rainforest.

As of now anyhow, things could change, but Disney's projections and outside data seem to be conflicting. Disney seems to believe, build it guests will come along with locals. Researchers on the other hand question if locals with all the Orlando area has to offer in retail and restaurants, will actually be drawn to spend large amounts of money at Disney Springs. They also question if Guests will extend their trips going forward an extra day to spend addition money beyond what is spent at the Flagship store, World of Disney or generate more guests willing to commute to Springs for high end dining. They are also questioning the draw of a DVC in the middle of Springs, will guests want to purchase a DVC in the middle of a shopping District so far from the parks? Saratoga Springs is very close and still has yet to sell out even with the discounts added in recent years.

It will be interesting to see if Disney actually does build everything they imagineered for Springs. Me<----wish they would have dumped this money into Animal Kingdom, I think it would have been better spent capital.
    supernova likes this.

Sadly, DHS has been billboard-central for as long as I can remember, but now things are getting worse there. Plus the buses have gone the way of those in the big city, with ads inside as well. But to promote things on the outside of the monorail? They went too far there, in my opinion. How much more money do these people need? And it's not even sponsorship money to say the ads inside the bus are from outside companies. They're trying to get OUR money.
    I can get this Disney experience in any Chicago Subway.
    supernova likes this.

I can get this Disney experience in any Chicago Subway.
    Can. And have.

Stitch's Great Escape just celebrated its 9th anniversary this weekend.

Yep, the MK has come a long way the last few years but Tomorrowland is beg'n for an overhaul.

Stupid Guests

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast