Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Breakfast A La Disney in the I Remember... forums; I came across an old pin we received back in 1994 for a Character Breakfast aboard the Empress Lilly. Our kids were really small and it was our first trip ...
    cozz is offline A-Ticket holder

Breakfast A La Disney

I came across an old pin we received back in 1994 for a Character Breakfast aboard the Empress Lilly. Our kids were really small and it was our first trip to WDW and now our kids are pretty much grown up and my wife commented on how much they still love going to WDW. I sure miss the Empress Lilly.
    Last edited by cozz; 05-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Breakfast A La Disney

Empress Lilly
    Empress Room – The most amazing thing about this restaurant (located amidships on the Promenade Deck) is not its food (though the menu is one of WDW’s most ambitious), but the combination of service and atmosphere. The Louis XV decor includes painted-wood paneling, damask wallpaper, a shallow-domed ceiling with an Italian brass chandelier glittering with crystal droplets, and, between the tables-for-four along the wall, dividers fitted out with paneling and etched glass. Parts of the elaborate moldings are covered with real gold leaf (worth $8,000 when the Empress was constructed in 1977).
    The culinary offerings include hot and curried spinach and oyster soup or chilled avocado soup, Bibb lettuce and fresh mushroom salads, country pâté, smoked duck with creamed horseradish, crabmeat sautéed in butter with brandy, Dover sole stuffed with salmon mousse and mushrooms and doused with a vermouth sauce, stuffed breast of pheasant, venison, and more. The quality of the food preparation can be erratic, but this is among the most elegant eating places in the World. The restaurant seats guests from 6 P.M. to 9:30 P.M., and a 20 percent surcharge is added to each check for service. Not all the fish here is fresh; if this matters to you, be sure to get a status report before ordering. Jackets are required for men, and reservations are a must; they are available up to 30 days in advance (828-3900).

Empress Lily Recipes

Beverages

Mark Twain Cocktail
    Yield: 1 serving

2 ounces brandy 3/4 ounce lemon bar mix
    1/2 ounce green creme de 1 1/4 ounces orange juice
    menthe Superfine bar sugar
    1/2 ounce Simple Syrup 4 ounces crushed ice
    (see recipe below) Fresh mint sprig

Mix brandy, creme de menthe, simple syrup, lemon mix and orange juice. Rim a 12-ounce glass with superfine sugar. Add ice and brandy mixture. Garnish with mint sprig.

Mark Twain Cocktail Punch

11/4 quarts brandy 1/2 quart lemon bar mix
    8 ounces green creme de 1 quart orange juice
    menthe 1 gallon water
    1/2 quart Simple Syrup Ice
    (see recipe below)

Mix all ingredients in a large punch bowl. Add ice cubes to fill bowl. Makes about 45 5-ounce servings.

Simple Syrup
    Combine 1 cup sugar ad 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil for 7 minutes. Cool. Makes 1 cup. Refrigerate any unused syrup in a covered container.

Empress Room

Appetizers

Sautéed Oysters
    Yield: 4 servings

1 pint oysters 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup flour 2 drops Tabasco sauce
    2 eggs, beaten 1/3 cup Chablis wine
    1 tablespoon water 1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dry bread crumbs 8 toast points
    2/3 cup butter 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    4 tablespoons lemon juice

Drain oysters and pick out any pieces of shell. Dredge in flour, drip in eggs which have been mixed with water and then in crumbs. This may be done up to an hour in advance of cooking.
    Heat butter in skillet with chopped garlic for 2 or 3 minutes. Add oysters and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove oysters and keep warm.
    Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco, wine and salt. Heat quickly over high heat. Place oysters on toast points and pour pan juices over oysters. Sprinkle with parsley.

Steerman's Quarters

Appetizers

Mushroom Appetizer
    Yield: 2 Cups

3 tablespoons butter 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 tablespoons minced shallots 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1 dozen mushrooms, washed Salt and white pepper to taste
    and sliced Toast points
    1/2 cup Burgundy wine
    1/2 cup canned brown gravy

Heat butter in a 9-inch skillet and sauté shallots until transparent. Add mushrooms and sauté until partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by two thirds. Add gravy, lemon juice and parsley. Heat. Season to taste. Serve on toast points.

Soups

Lobster Bisque
    Yield: 31/2 quarts

1 medium lobster, freshly boiled 4 quarts water
    6 ounces tomato paste 3 ounces tomato paste
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 cubes fish bouillon
    1/2 cup onion 2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup celery 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 cup carrots 1 cup butter
    Croutons 3/4 cup flour

Remove meat from lobster shell and refrigerate. Crush lobster shells and put into a large baking pan. Mix in tomato paste, pepper, onion, celery and carrots. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour. Transfer to a large saucepot and add water, 3 ounces tomato paste, fish bouillon, salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and cook 1 hour.
    Strain and discard solids. Melt butter in a medium skillet, add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Using a whisk, continually stir lobster liquid, cooking until mixture is thickened. Dice refrigerated lobster into fairly small pieces and add to hot bisque. Serve with croutons.
    NOTE: Bisque freezes well.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Wow, $6.50 and $9.75 for a character breakfast??!!! Man I long for those prices. WHat characters were there?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

It was a show. Then the characters came around the tables.
    I have pictures of Mickey, Goofy, Donald. Beyond that I am old.

It was the only plate Character meal I ever went to. They put a plate in front of you with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, hash browns and a small side of fruit. No more, no less.

Now when Chef Mickey Village Restaurant was in Downtown Disney their food was to die for. And the Chef came to the table too. The good ole days.

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

Empress Lilly ever my favorite, I had my first memorable dining experience there. It was one of the best restaurants I really miss the “Empress Lilly” and want the back! Empress Lilly’s everything was superb, who has been there wouldn’t want that the “Empress Lilly” back.

Best Regards,

RickNJ is offline B-Ticket Holder

Hi Folks,

I just came across a picture of the Empress Lilly from 1978. We were there for dinner. I think I had a 1" thick NY strip steak and since I was 14 yrs old it was HUGE to me. LOL Mom took this picture before dinner, Dad had to rent a jacket for the meal. I just scanned the picture in and did some photoshop. btw: I am standing next to dad.

EmpressLilly

Cheers

Rick R.
    Oct 2012 - French Quarter
    Nov 2010 - Pop Century
    Nov 2008 (Thanksgiving) All Start Music
    Nov 2007 (Thanksgiving) Port Orleans - Riverside
    Sept 1993 - Off site - First time with my kids
    June 1983 - Off Site - Senior Trip with GF - now my wonderful Wife
    May 1979 - Off Site - Parents drove down

I missed this picture last year. Those were the days.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.