Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Upstairs of Imagination in the I Remember... forums; I guess this may not be able to be called "lost" since it's still there, but I found these when I was checking to see if anyone has posted new ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Upstairs of Imagination

I guess this may not be able to be called "lost" since it's still there, but I found these when I was checking to see if anyone has posted new videos of the upstairs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5TN0gs6sE&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOpazVur4Aw&feature=channel_video_title

That has to be the most intriguing thing in EPCOT....it's so odd that they have just let that sit there and never took the stuff out of there or anything. It's like they closed it for the night and never opened back up. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks like this 10 years from now....
    Last edited by clj2; 03-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Re: Upstairs of Imagination

20,000 Leagues was abandoned in the same way. The attraction was powered down after its last use, the lights switched off and (some) of the doors locked. The set decoration and props that were destroyed in 2004 inside the building had not moved one inch since guests last sailed past them in 1994, save for the diving team that removed the shark wheels from the Graveyard. For over a year the attraction sat "ready to go" at the flick of a few switches and a re-fueling of the subs.

I find this kind of "abandon-in-place" stuff very creepy, but endless fascinating at the same time.
    Last edited by 20K; 03-08-2011 at 01:59 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

How sad is that? I brought my kids to Disney since they were infants, memories. It was an excellent place for kids to play, interact, cool off and have a little space after having to sit still and be quieter while on other attractions.

I don't understand. If it is up there, why not use it? I don't care for the idea of lost sponsor so haha guests you can't play anymore. Guests still pay admission. I do understand it is one of many areas they set up for
    Corporate functions and that brings in dollars.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

The person who filmed the video made a comment that they were doing work up there (the lights were actually on!). That was around the time Kodak bailed on Imagination. Interesting. I wonder if there was Kodak signage up there they had to get rid of? Those people that got to go up there were lucky!

The closure of the upstairs didn't have anything to do with losing a sponsor, really. When Kodak signed back on in the late 90s, I think part of it called for those "Kodak What If" labs (the current ImageWorks) downstairs in addition to that horrid "Journey Into Your Imagination" catastrophe. I think the excuse about not using the upstairs was something about wheelchair accesibility....that could have been fixed. I don't buy that. Maybe with Kodak gone, and JII needing some work, we'll finally see something done. This, IMO, is all Kodak's fault.

What's even stranger is that there are what appear to be living plants up there.
    Last edited by clj2; 03-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I have seen these videos before...very interesting, but sad to see this perfectly good space go to waste

Ada is a crock. There is an elevator It has always been there Plants are deco for the corporates that use the space. Cheap decorations

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Ada is a crock. There is an elevator It has always been there Plants are deco for the corporates that use the space. Cheap decorations
    I agree about ADA. I think that was a cheap excuse. How is it any less accessible than The Land? Look at the elevator in there. What it comes down to is Kodak....they went along with their wishes in order to keep the sponsorship. Part of their wishes included those "What If" labs downstairs and the changes at JII....

Another thought, if the upstairs needed to be more handicapped friendly like Disney says, wouldn't it have been cheaper to have made it more accessible to get upstairs than to build something totally new?
    Last edited by clj2; 03-09-2011 at 02:44 AM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

It certainly has potential, shame to go to waste.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It is weird to see all that stuff still up there. There's really no reason why that could not be opened up again to the guests.

I wonder why they never dismantled the attractions and sold them? I wonder if the rainbow tunnel still works....

The view of EPCOT from up there is amazing. Disney should just open that big area up under the pyramids as an observatory, if nothing else. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I just can't help but think when Imagination gets its next refurb, which it needs, that something will be done up there, especially since Kodak is gone. Whatever is done now is totally Disney's call.

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    I wonder why they never dismantled the attractions and sold them? I wonder if the rainbow tunnel still works....

The view of EPCOT from up there is amazing. Disney should just open that big area up under the pyramids as an observatory, if nothing else. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I just can't help but think when Imagination gets its next refurb, which it needs, that something will be done up there, especially since Kodak is gone. Whatever is done now is totally Disney's call.
    I am the same why... I am hoping that Disney would reopen it due the Kodak gone. I would freak out if that happened. I want to see what the original Imageworks was like.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    I am the same why... I am hoping that Disney would reopen it due the Kodak gone. I would freak out if that happened. I want to see what the original Imageworks was like.
    I have rolls and rolls of film photo's of my kids playing up there. My DD with a pacifier in her mouth, 1 1/2 years old, going from square to square making the sounds go off. The upstairs was priceless.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

The closure of the upstairs didn't have anything to do with losing a sponsor, really. When Kodak signed back on in the late 90s, I think part of it called for those "Kodak What If" labs (the current ImageWorks) downstairs in addition to that horrid "Journey Into Your Imagination" catastrophe. I think the excuse about not using the upstairs was something about wheelchair accesibility....that could have been fixed. I don't buy that.
    I think the energies of all of Disney's imagineers are now focused into the arena of excuse-making instead of actually creating something. You must admit, they've really done some groundbreaking work in doubletalk, alibis and rationalizations.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I think the energies of all of Disney's imagineers are now focused into the arena of excuse-making instead of actually creating something. You must admit, they've really done some groundbreaking work in doubletalk, alibis and rationalizations.
    Yup.

That excuse is so pathetic about the accessibility of Img. upstairs....why didn't The Land close upstairs then? Worse excuse than the ones for Wonders of Life. When it comes to excuse making, EPCOT seems to be their favorite place to use it.

It wouldn't be hard to put the upstairs back in to operation if they decided to update it and open it back up. Not only is that horrible ImageWorks downstairs....well, horrible, it also took up space from the JII ride and made it shorter.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yup.

That excuse is so pathetic about the accessibility of Img. upstairs....why didn't The Land close upstairs then? Worse excuse than the ones for Wonders of Life. When it comes to excuse making, EPCOT seems to be their favorite place to use it.

It wouldn't be hard to put the upstairs back in to operation if they decided to update it and open it back up. Not only is that horrible ImageWorks downstairs....well, horrible, it also took up space from the JII ride and made it shorter.
    it seems to me that when Disney does not want to run something anymore the wheelchair accessibility is always the reason why.. think of 20k for one... Disney likes that as an excuse rather than fixing the problem... btw ther has to be a way to make that accessible... i definitely dont buy that either...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast