Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Replace Discovery River Boats at AK in the I Remember... forums; So I've been playing imagineer again. Discovery River Boats were permanently docked by the time I visited AK a month after the park opened. It has been a wasted river ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Replace Discovery River Boats at AK

So I've been playing imagineer again. Discovery River Boats were permanently docked by the time I visited AK a month after the park opened. It has been a wasted river since then.

What if there were a bunch of boats on tracks and similar to size of Jungle Cruise boats. Boats would run both clockwise and counter clockwise.
    Each boat would have water guns. Also since the River can be viewed from so many areas around AK park, land based water guns could also installed. A less themed pond has been already been created at an amusement park but Disney's AK already has a large river just waiting to be utilized.

A new Six Flags attraction, Buccaneer Battle, lets riders blast each other with Super Soaker cannons. Park visitors can also shoot at the boats using land-based guns.

By Todd Rosenberg, Six Flags Great
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Re: Replace Discovery River Boats at AK

I agree, something needs to go in that spot, I think something along the lines of what you are proprosing would be a welcomed addition.

I was also thinking they should put some sort of ride in reminiscent of 20,000 Leagues (obviously not the same plot or using submarines), but maybe hi-lighting marine life and have some sort of adventure story built into it.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Ok, the clockwise boats could be tuna fishers using illegal practices and trapping dolphins in their nets....the counter clockwise boats could be the Coast Guard saving the marine waters. Boats and water guns could be different. 2 queues, 2 experiences. Huh?

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Love it! Educational, fun, and challenging...there has to be some imagineers lurking around on this site. We just have to make sure we (C) our ideas

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

So YOU weren't playing Imagineer so much as Todd Rosenberg was playing Imagineer, huh??
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Naw, he has a little tykes ride in a puddle of water. I can dream bigger and better than he. We gals dream big.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I wondered why they didn't use glass bottom boats and river fish and animals.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

I don't think AK's rivers are that clear. I'm not even sure I'd want to ride on a ride like that in a river similar to Jungle's, and I know how bad jungle's river gets. This ride system looks like it's small enough to make sure their entire water supply is filtered and cleaned constantly. It's a nice idea though, but they'll need to do some major overhaul with their rivers in order to make it work.

The only way I'm thinking this would work is if you were shooting at targets, and NOT each other. There could be several targets with their own system that can shoot back or get the riders wet without the nasty river water.

I wouldn't mind having the boats back, but a less quieter version.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

anything would be good there , its better then nothing
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

I believe the issue was that the channel was not deep/wide enough to navigate reliably and boats were constantly getting stuck. Any new boats would involve dredging and stabilizing. I would also imagine that the canal probably receives a good bit of runoff from stormflow due to its location and this would have to be rerouted if clean water were to be maintained. I think if they redid it, they could maintain it as a Jungle Cruise type boat ride instead of intra-Park transportation. I imagine they probably don't want to step on the toes of the Jungle Cruise, though, and may need a different route.

It would be pretty cool if they maintained it as manatee habitat or possibly segmenting it into different habitats in each of the lands so that the themes line up. I think water quality would be the issue there.

Water quality is definitely an issue no matter what goes there...and if they have to dredge the river in order to make any type of boat fit through there, then I can't see Disney shelling out that kind of money right now with all of their other projects going on. Maybe they could do some kind of barge thing with floating rafts, divide it into teams and have a capture the flag type game...? It would eliminate the issue with the boats all together because the barges could be anchored to the bottom of the river.

*My Visits*

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

I feel they need to keep any themeing to movies or cartoons that Disney has put out. It should be something like the Atlantis theme or Tarzan or any type of themeing from one of their movies

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I wonder if Disney even remembers that they released Atlantis.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Probably trying to forget. Wouldn't you?

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

Nope. I liked it.

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast