Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Original Backlot Studio Tour in the I Remember... forums; Remember the original Backlot Studio Tour? You know... the one that took you down Residential Street and New York Street and continued on foot through the soundstages? I've been reading ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Talking Original Backlot Studio Tour

Remember the original Backlot Studio Tour? You know... the one that took you down Residential Street and New York Street and continued on foot through the soundstages? I've been reading through some history and looking at just how much the park itself changed when the decision was made to no longer use the location for production work and it's just incredible. I had totally forgotten that the entrance to the tour was in a completely different spot... totally forgot how the landscape of the park changed as far as where you walk around etc. It made me realize why it still to this day feels like an after-thought being on that side of the park. It also inspired me (you had to know this was coming right? )!!

I'm on a hunt and need your help! I am looking for pictures from the original Backlot Tour back when the park was actually a working studio. I'm looking for pictures of "Residential Street" as well as shots from what was the walking tour of the working soundstages etc. as well as the original entrance and exit locations (and break area used before the walking tour began). If you have any, I'd LOVE to see them. Shoot me an email webmaster@extinctdisney.com with whatever you've got! I can't wait to see what everyone has!

But back to the topic... what memories do you all have of the "original" park and tour? It's one of those things I remember in pictures mostly. I see the Golden Girls house in my head and remember thinking it was so cool to see a real live working production studio. I remember the Roger Rabbit steamroller and my sister and I scooting beneath it for photos. As I continue to use our friend Google I'm finding so much more that I had forgotten. What do you remember?
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 04-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Original Backlot Studio Tour

I really miss it. Good memories. We opened that park when my son was very small. Lots of room to wander and look at things, great for a little kid to burn off some energy without disturbing other guests on attractions.

I have fond memories of walking the residential lots at night, because you rode through them during the day time. It is where the original Osborne lights were and we spent a very nice Christmas Eve walking and absorbing the lights on the homes, the manger at the end. Still like the Osborne lights but now during the performance you a kinda stuck in one spot do to the crowds.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Though I was never there for the actual Osborne Lights, I do remember them being back on Residential Street (where it made sense - duh... they were Christmas yard decorations etc.) in the sense that I remember them either setting them up while I was there on a trip or taking them down etc. I don't remember walking the streets at night though... we had to have... but I only remember riding through on the tram. I do however remember the walking tour through the soundstages and vaguely remember the original Magic of Animation tour (that was sort of a separate "attraction" but really still related to the backlot). I know it's not a working production studio anymore and that meant lots of changes but, as so many have discussed, it seems these days the tour is sort of light in concept because there's not really any backlot left to tour huh?

Of particular interest to me today has really been the fact that the landscape of the park itself changed so much. I don't think I ever realized it in the grand scheme. I had completely forgotten that the whole section where the soundstages where (are - technically most are still there - one just got turned into Toy Story Mania) wasn't an area you could walk in. I also forgot that the entrance to the backlot tour was in a completely different spot. It's one of those things where I wish I had a picture from 1989 of a specific GPS coordinate and then a pic of today to compare it to because it's so hard to picture from "ground level."

Really my fascination with this stuff today is because I don't think I realized just how much change the park had gone through until I decided to start writing up the backlot tour stuff for the site.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 04-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Though I was never there for the actual Osborne Lights, I do remember them being back on Residential Street (where it made sense - duh... they were Christmas yard decorations etc.) in the sense that I remember them either setting them up while I was there on a trip or taking them down etc. I don't remember walking the streets at night though... we had to have... but I only remember riding through on the tram. I do however remember the walking tour through the soundstages and vaguely remember the original Magic of Animation tour (that was sort of a separate "attraction" but really still related to the backlot). I know it's not a working production studio anymore and that meant lots of changes but, as so many have discussed, it seems these days the tour is sort of light in concept because there's not really any backlot left to tour huh?

Of particular interest to me today has really been the fact that the landscape of the park itself changed so much. I don't think I ever realized it in the grand scheme. I had completely forgotten that the whole section where the soundstages where (are - technically most are still there - one just got turned into Toy Story Mania) wasn't an area you could walk in. I also forgot that the entrance to the backlot tour was in a completely different spot. It's one of those things where I wish I had a picture from 1989 of a specific GPS coordinate and then a pic of today to compare it to because it's so hard to picture from "ground level."

Really my fascination with this stuff today is because I don't think I realized just how much change the park had gone through until I decided to start writing up the backlot tour stuff for the site.
    Yes indeed. If you look at old park maps and the Birnbaum tour books, it does show you how much that park changed. Not being a fan of Lights Action, not thinking that was worth it either.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yes indeed. If you look at old park maps and the Birnbaum tour books, it does show you how much that park changed. Not being a fan of Lights Action, not thinking that was worth it either.
    I like Lights, Motors, Action! but agree that I don't think it was worth it. With the amount of available real estate on property it seems they could've at least not demolished what made the word "studio" in the park's name fit. Seems that, even though it was no longer a WORKING production studio, they could've kept up the idea that it was just for the sake of it being called "Disney-MGM Studios" and then "Disney Hollywood Studios." Not much "Studio" left to speak of. Ahh cest le vie.

Anyway I've seen the park maps but gosh I really want to see some "ground floor" shots.