Some of us, like myself, started going to WDW when we were quite young. I was 3 1/2 years old on my first trip in January 1988, and have vague memories of that experience. I know we have pictures around somewhere, but I haven't seen them in years.
But what I wanted to start here was a list of Disney firsts. What were the kinds of things that you did or experienced for the first time while in Disney? I'm not talking about the first time you rode It's a Small World. We all have did that. I'm talking about stories unique to yourself that say something about you and your early exposures to Disney.
For example, what inspired me to start this thread was a memory of how Disney helped to broaden my young vocabulary. Words such as "Caution" (which I picked up from the Grand Prix Raceway in Tomorrowland, where it warns riders to proceed with caution and not to strike the car ahead), "Automatically" (picked up from the many different rides with safety announcements stating that the ride vehicle's door opens automatically), and "Imagination" (which I learned from singing along with Figgy and Dreamfinder), were all words that I learned from my first vacation in WDW. I know that I also gained "Animatronic" from Disney, but I have doubts as to which trip I learned that one on. That may have been my second trip at about age 7.
Of course, I also went bilingual when Mr. Wagner taught me "Por favor, mantengan se alejado do las puertas". That was about my fourth trip or so, and I think I was about 12ish.
Playing on this memory of learning brand new words in WDW, I continue to this day to try to learn new words and phrases when I'm there (although now I almost always have to resort to learning them in Spanish because there isn't a whole lot of words in English that I haven't been exposed to before). My latest pet project is memorizing the TTC courtesy tram's safety advisory in both English and Spanish ("Bienvenidos a bordo! Para su seguridad, asiente los niņos en el centro de lo vehiculo..."). You know the one I mean. You hear it a couple times a day almost everytime you visit one of the parks. I swear I will have that down before I go home for the holiday break!
So, to get this thread started, here's a few more Disney firsts that I can think of now (aside from the whole vocabulary/language thing). I think you should be able to see where I am trying to go with this idea.
- One Disney first that I remember is the first time I discovered that too much of a good thing really CAN be a bad thing. This one took place on the first trip, when I discovered the yummy goodness of breakfast sausages and the wonder of an all-you-can-eat character breakfast buffet. Methinks perhaps I had a few dozen too many sausages that morning, as I ended up just a little bit sick a short while thereafter, haha. http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...lies/sick2.gif At least I learned through this that when Mom says I've had enough, she probably knows what she's talking about.
- I think it was my second trip when I first encountered a snapping turtle. There were a few of them swimming around outside the Carribbean Beach Resort, and my Dad showed me exactly how not to try to feed them. (Not necessarily his brightest move ever, but it got the point across.)
- And I think it was also on this trip that I discovered the joys of automaically (see... there's that word again) flushing toilets. I had hours worth of fun out of those. In fact, my dad even took a picture of me playing with the sensors in one of the WDW bathrooms (I think it might have been in EPCOT).
- I'm also pretty sure that this trip was the first time that I ever managed to stomach 7 slices of pizza for dinner in one night. Oh, and before you get all in a tizzy about all that pizza for someone of my age, it wasn't really as much as you might think... I didn't eat crusts back then.
Anywho, I'm beat for the night. I kinda forgot to sleep. Disney tends to do that to me. (Which reminds me... I think the first time I ever stayed up past midnight was at Disney. I think I actually made it to just a few minutes past 1am before passing out entierly and poor Mom had to carry me up to the room.) But anyway, classes oughta be fun tomorrow morning, huh? And I hope you get the idea that I was shooting for here. Go ahead and think back to when you were a mere youngin' and were experiencing a big, new world of fun and exciting stuff. http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...lies/idea2.gif what did you do/see/experience for the first time in your life right here in Walt Disney World? Go ahead... have fun with this!http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ies/mickey.gif
- WDW was also the first place I fell in love. Or so I thought... until I realized that Cinderella, Minnie Mouse, and Alice (each was my "girlfriend" at some point ) said those things to ALL the little boys waiting in line to meet them! http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...milies/mad.gif What nerve! Am I right?