Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Disney firsts in the I Remember... forums; Some of us, like myself, started going to WDW when we were quite young. I was 3 1/2 years old on my first trip in January 1988, and have vague ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Disney firsts

Some of us, like myself, started going to WDW when we were quite young. I was 3 1/2 years old on my first trip in January 1988, and have vague memories of that experience. I know we have pictures around somewhere, but I haven't seen them in years.

But what I wanted to start here was a list of Disney firsts. What were the kinds of things that you did or experienced for the first time while in Disney? I'm not talking about the first time you rode It's a Small World. We all have did that. I'm talking about stories unique to yourself that say something about you and your early exposures to Disney.

For example, what inspired me to start this thread was a memory of how Disney helped to broaden my young vocabulary. Words such as "Caution" (which I picked up from the Grand Prix Raceway in Tomorrowland, where it warns riders to proceed with caution and not to strike the car ahead), "Automatically" (picked up from the many different rides with safety announcements stating that the ride vehicle's door opens automatically), and "Imagination" (which I learned from singing along with Figgy and Dreamfinder), were all words that I learned from my first vacation in WDW. I know that I also gained "Animatronic" from Disney, but I have doubts as to which trip I learned that one on. That may have been my second trip at about age 7.

Of course, I also went bilingual when Mr. Wagner taught me "Por favor, mantengan se alejado do las puertas". That was about my fourth trip or so, and I think I was about 12ish.

Playing on this memory of learning brand new words in WDW, I continue to this day to try to learn new words and phrases when I'm there (although now I almost always have to resort to learning them in Spanish because there isn't a whole lot of words in English that I haven't been exposed to before). My latest pet project is memorizing the TTC courtesy tram's safety advisory in both English and Spanish ("Bienvenidos a bordo! Para su seguridad, asiente los niņos en el centro de lo vehiculo..."). You know the one I mean. You hear it a couple times a day almost everytime you visit one of the parks. I swear I will have that down before I go home for the holiday break!

So, to get this thread started, here's a few more Disney firsts that I can think of now (aside from the whole vocabulary/language thing). I think you should be able to see where I am trying to go with this idea.

• One Disney first that I remember is the first time I discovered that too much of a good thing really CAN be a bad thing. This one took place on the first trip, when I discovered the yummy goodness of breakfast sausages and the wonder of an all-you-can-eat character breakfast buffet. Methinks perhaps I had a few dozen too many sausages that morning, as I ended up just a little bit sick a short while thereafter, haha. At least I learned through this that when Mom says I've had enough, she probably knows what she's talking about.

• I think it was my second trip when I first encountered a snapping turtle. There were a few of them swimming around outside the Carribbean Beach Resort, and my Dad showed me exactly how not to try to feed them. (Not necessarily his brightest move ever, but it got the point across.)

• And I think it was also on this trip that I discovered the joys of automaically (see... there's that word again) flushing toilets. I had hours worth of fun out of those. In fact, my dad even took a picture of me playing with the sensors in one of the WDW bathrooms (I think it might have been in EPCOT).

• I'm also pretty sure that this trip was the first time that I ever managed to stomach 7 slices of pizza for dinner in one night. Oh, and before you get all in a tizzy about all that pizza for someone of my age, it wasn't really as much as you might think... I didn't eat crusts back then.

• WDW was also the first place I fell in love. Or so I thought... until I realized that Cinderella, Minnie Mouse, and Alice (each was my "girlfriend" at some point ) said those things to ALL the little boys waiting in line to meet them! What nerve! Am I right?
    Anywho, I'm beat for the night. I kinda forgot to sleep. Disney tends to do that to me. (Which reminds me... I think the first time I ever stayed up past midnight was at Disney. I think I actually made it to just a few minutes past 1am before passing out entierly and poor Mom had to carry me up to the room.) But anyway, classes oughta be fun tomorrow morning, huh? And I hope you get the idea that I was shooting for here. Go ahead and think back to when you were a mere youngin' and were experiencing a big, new world of fun and exciting stuff. what did you do/see/experience for the first time in your life right here in Walt Disney World? Go ahead... have fun with this!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    Well I'll join in. The first time I realized that the signs that say don't feed the ducks at the Poly were there for a reason. My daughter and I sat on a lawn chair feeding the ducks Lorna Doone's. But when we were out the ducks just kept coming. My family was on the upper patio laughing at us. We had to jump off the chair and make a mad dash for the door, while the ducks were chasing us quacking. We never did that again.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    My first trip to Disney was the first time I realized that I could, with the correct motivation, walk ALL DAY until my feet were numb.

I was about 7, and I didn't care that I had blisters, or that I wore the wrong shoes so that Cinderella could see my pretty sandals. It didn't matter how my feet felt, because I knew at that moment, I was a part of something magical, and special. It became a part of me, and in a way, I still get that same feeling when I am there to this day.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Let's just say my first time down in 1977 when I was 6 was not to pleasant for my mom and aunt who took me. It turns out that I don't act very well in extreme heat. My mom said that it was so hot down there that I cried just about everyday while I was down there.

Now when I'm down in WDW I just cry because my feet hurt and I'm broke. LOL
    Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 09-13-2005 at 12:57 PM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIPRINCESS
    ...and I'm broke. LOL
    I hear ya. I cry cuz there is so much I want but can't afford to indulge. Them shops is dangerous!
    -Don-

GrmGrnningGhost is offline Friends Call Me Snow Miser...
    my disney first was like 1997 i was 5 and we were in line for haunted mansion and i was scared at first but after i was done riding it i loved it and made my parents go on it alot of times
    Josh

The happy haunts have received your simpathetic vibrations, and are begining to materialize.They're assembling for a swinging wake,and they will be expecting me.I will see you all a little later

I'm Mister White Christmas
    I'm Mister Snow
    I'm Mister Icicle
    I'm Mister Ten Below
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

Cameo is online now And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot
    Must have been about 1982 or 83 and I was 4 or 5. I had just reached the height requirement for Space Mountain and it was my first time on. I was so excited!!! Anyway, my "first" was learning that the ride attractions drive themselves and that neither me, nor my Dad had any control over them. As we pulled into that first holding area before you "launch" my Dad leaned over and said something along the lines of, "look, it's pretty dark in there. make sure you keep us on the track when you're driving." Innocent little child that I was, I told him that I wasn't driving, so he must be. "how can I be driving when I'm sitting here with my arms around you (back in the days where two people shared one seat)?" Well off our ride went as I frantically tried to find the steering wheel. I apparently got off hysterical and literally green. My parents needed to spend a good amount of time explaining to me that the rides were controlled by other people and that none of us steer any of the rides. It took a while on that trip before I would trust any ride but I finally got up the courage and it was fine, but after yearly trips I was 18 before I'd ride SM again.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Haha, that's cute.

I don't know if I was ever that naive, but I do know I was scared half to death the first time I rode SM. I (no joke) kissed the carpet when I unloaded. Apparently I wasn't the only one who didn't know what he was getting into, because when I finally got up the nerve to ride a second time, the full-grown adult man who got in the rocket behind me climbed out of the ride muttering to his friend, "they didn't warn me i'd need to bring a change of pants." For an "old" coaster, it sure can scare the bejeezes out of someone now knowing what they're in for. I'm impressed that you attempted it that young! I didn't try it until I was I think 12 or 13.
    -Don-

Luvdisney529 is offline A-Ticket holder
    In June 2002 our frist trip to WDW together. Chris (my husband) & I went with some friends. We were datting at the time & it was our frist trip together. The frist day we went to Magic Kingdom. The frist ride I rode was POTC. It is to this day my favorite & frist ride!

June02 & Feb03-WDW & June04 - Disneyland

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    My Disney first was the year it opened - 1971. I was 3. I remember it vividly because I threw up in the back of my parents' crappy Chevy Vega and we had to clean it up before we went in the park. Lovely memory, eh?

Back then, there was only the Magic Kingdom and the surrounding hotels. We stayed with family in Clearwater and commuted. We didn't start staying at Disney until 1978, and that was in the campground, which, in my opinion, is the best place on the premises (if you have a motor home, a trailer, or a bunch of people to help pay for one of the cabins).
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972