Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Horizons Fan Site in the I Remember... forums; Hi Everyone, Found this site while searching around for Horizons stuff today: http://www.horizons1.com/home.htm Nothing really new, but it's a nice little site and has a great time-line of the history ...
    Benjo is offline Cranium Commando

Horizons Fan Site

Hi Everyone,

Found this site while searching around for Horizons stuff today:

http://www.horizons1.com/home.htm

Nothing really new, but it's a nice little site and has a great time-line of the history of my favorite attraction ever. Check it out.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

JEANYLASER is offline B-Ticket Holder
    i love horizons it was my favorate ride. i miss it so much!

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    great site, i just added it to my bookmarks
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Yeah it's just a nice clean site with a fun layout. I love the history section; it has a lot of great facts about the ride, most of which I didn't know before. I also like how it tries to dispell the rumors about why Horizons closed.

Ellura is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjo
    Yeah it's just a nice clean site with a fun layout. I love the history section; it has a lot of great facts about the ride, most of which I didn't know before. I also like how it tries to dispell the rumors about why Horizons closed.

I have never heard any of the rumors or reasonings of why it closed...inquiring minds want to know.
    Ellura

"You may not like my methods but you'll surely know my name!'"

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    yeah, i had heard those rumors too and it was interesting to know it was a sinkhole...couldn't they just have filled it in???
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

I know, I wish they had figured out someway to attack the sink hole without having to destroy the whole building, but I'm sure the Imagineers now more about these kinds of things than I do. It does make you wonder about how much of the reason for closing the attraction was from the sink hole, and how much was because of the age of the attraction, and the tendancy towards bigger thrills for Future World. I guess we'll never really know, but it's also how the rumors got started.

disneytourguide is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Cant forget another thing: EPCOT used to lose money since all they did was teach..they had to get in thrill rides so in essence the effect of demolishing Horizons was 2 fold: tackle the old structural problems and put in something that was gonna bring in the money. So far so good...but dang it I miss the ole Horizons of my childhood. If I had the ability...i'd build it all over again... I never missed a chance to get on it when I was young....back in the 1st grade...10 years later....I'm sick of Mission Space.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytourguide
    Cant forget another thing: EPCOT used to lose money since all they did was teach..they had to get in thrill rides so in essence the effect of demolishing Horizons was 2 fold: tackle the old structural problems and put in something that was gonna bring in the money. So far so good...but dang it I miss the ole Horizons of my childhood. If I had the ability...i'd build it all over again... I never missed a chance to get on it when I was young....back in the 1st grade...10 years later....I'm sick of Mission Space.
    I wouldn't say I'm sick of Mission Space yet, and I do think that it does the location justice. It would have been sad if an attraction put in to replace Horizons lost that sense of wonder of the future, and I think Mission Space accomplishes that really well.

I'm sad that Horizons is gone, and I agree with you that I should have taken more opportunities to ride it when I was in Epcot Center back in the day. I can remember the second to last time I was there when Horizons was still open, and I didn't ride it, and now when I think back on that, I really should have.

Ellura is offline Fastpass Holder
    You know what I miss...I miss EPCOT being all about the future. I loved the rides that focused on the futures possibilities. Where is the imagination? I feel that instead of taking away Horizons, update it a little. I miss the creativity that was involved with rides like Horizons, World Of Motion, the original Journey. /sigh
    Ellura

"You may not like my methods but you'll surely know my name!'"

disneytourguide is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellura
    You know what I miss...I miss EPCOT being all about the future. I loved the rides that focused on the futures possibilities. Where is the imagination? I feel that instead of taking away Horizons, update it a little. I miss the creativity that was involved with rides like Horizons, World Of Motion, the original Journey. /sigh
    Well I wouldn't say "where is the imagination" but you cant forget...the general American public prefer the immediate rush...not the lets think over this and how has it impacted me. So its good and bad...the ride will bring new business to Disney, and prolong its empire the bad....we have lost a beloved ride that where we now acknoledge its importance and impact...such is progress.

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Since that little boy passed away after riding mission space, you can bet you'll never wait more than 10 minutes on any "regular" park day to ride MS. I myself would pass up MS before I would Horizons being that I'm about the classics, and MS is rather boring like most of Disney's latest creations.

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    here's a decent video link that lies within this thread's link

http://www.dizneyworld.com/horizons.htm

it's old, but it contains a complete ride-through of Horizons! I had to download it to see the DNA-like scene in the omnisphere again! I remember how I'd have to my seat hold on to my seat because that scene was so intense it felt like you were going to fall right out of it!

..ok... must... sleep...

Came across this terrific series of articles on MousePlanet the other day:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=w&aid=gm

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's links to a four part article series by George McGinnis who was one of the head Imagineer's on Horizons. He goes through the entire history of the develoment of the ride. It's a really interesting read.

Ilostmytail is offline C-Ticket Holder
    cool website, brings back memories....I miss the old stuff.:mickey:
    Engaged at Disney World 10/8/05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast