Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What should go away- what should come back? in the I Remember... forums; I will always miss the Fort Wilderness Railroad. It really enhanced the 'frontier' experience and made FW so much more than a place to park an RV. I am, however, ...
    kree is offline C-Ticket Holder

What should go away- what should come back?

I will always miss the Fort Wilderness Railroad. It really enhanced the 'frontier' experience and made FW so much more than a place to park an RV. I am, however, consigned to the fact that it will only live on in our memories. On the other hand, we spent 1999-2000 New Year's at WDW. It was the debut of the 'hand' around Spaceship Earth. At the time, it said '2000', not 'Epcot'. I would like to know if others feel as I do: the symmetry of Spaceship Earth is destroyed by a sign stating the obvious: 'Epcot'. Duh.

kree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Add to the first thought. Is it just me, or does it look like a cheesy afterthought?

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    I never really thought it looked right. Its kinda like when somebody adds a carboard sign to somthing in the rain. It just seems wrong. It just looks like a hunk of somthing up there on the ball. And while we are on the symbol of hte parks, i think MGM should go back to the earful tower. Seemed to represent MGM better than the sorcere's hat.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I agree with the above posts...easier then typing all that out again..lol
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    After looking at some old vs. new photos of Spaceship Earth, the wand sort of grows on me (ducking tomatoes). I think partly it's because the trees have grown up around the area, and Spaceship Earth doesn't stand out quite as much as it used to. I won't particularly miss it if they take it down, though.

The hat, however, should never have been put in front of the theater. They had plenty of room at the entrance plaza outside the gate, if they really had to have it.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    I hate the hat. It totally destroys the entrance to MGM. Why oh why did they do it? I much prefer the chines theater. It fits in with the theme of the park so much better.

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    The first time I saw the hat at MGM, I hated it. I think it's growing on me now, but mostly because there's so many cool pins underneath it. If it were up to me, I'd probably remove it, if for no other reason than to have the largest Hidden Mickey back in plain view.

As for the Epcot wand: I'm very much against it. I'm very traditional and retro when it comes to Epcot since it's been my favorite park since childhood. The wand doesn't seem to fit in with the Future World look at all, and very detracks from the Spaceship Earth design. However, I did read somewhere that the wand cost several million dollars to make, so it's unlikely that they're going to take it down anytime soon. I can't remember where I read it, but someone was saying that the steel structure goes very deep into the ground in order to withstand hurricane-force winds, and was therefore extremely expensive to build. I guess we're in for many more years of the wand.

Anway, here's a few "What should go away and what should come back" items:

Epcot:
    The Circle of Life should go away - I understand the point, but it puts me to sleep
    Horizons and the Tapestry of Nations Parade should come back
    Cranium Command should stay - I love this attraction

Magic Kingdom:
    Stitch's Escape should go away - I just wasn't that impressed with this. I like Alien Encounter a lot better. I understand why Disney put this attraction in, and it's worked very well. The attendance at Alien Encounter was always very low because it was scary for children. Now with Stitch, Disney has created an attraction that's a little scary, but that children will love because of the character involved. When I was there last week, the line for Stitch's Escape was always over a 30 minute wait.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

wmxxmsg is offline C-Ticket Holder
    As much as I like Mickeys Philharmagic (sp?), I loved that Lion King show they had in that spot. I know they probably got rid of it because of the "Legend of the Lion King" show at AK. But I think they should of kept that other one!

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    I loved the Millenium Village I thought it was a great little area to go into especially mini golfing in Scotland. I also miss Food Rocks even though Soarin is amazing, Food Rocks was a show I always looked forward too. I have to agree on the Lion King show. The Rafiki pre show was great and the puppetry and animatronics was stellar. I do think that PhilharMagic is the best 3D/4D movie in WDW though. I also miss Mr. Toads, the Skyway and I hate the MGM hat as well. I always loved walking into the MGM gate and seeing the Chinese Theatre at the end of one street and ToT at the other.

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ditch the MGM Hat.
    Ditch the EPCOT Wand.
    Ditch Stitch's Great Escape.

Bring back Cranium Command.
    Bring back Horizons.
    Bring back World of Motion.
    Bring back Dreamflight/If You Had Wings.

Straight and to the point.
    Facebook Me!

"Don't talk when I'm SHOUTING!'
    "Putting you in a chicken is cruelty to animals!"
    -General Knowledge

CaptHook is offline A-Ticket holder
    I wish they would bring back The Hunchback of Notre Dame Show including the juggler who did the preshow. I also miss World of Motion and Horizons.

Don't care for the wand, the hat, nor the Cakestle (thank goodness THAT's gone).
    CaptHook

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder
    get rid of SGE. It's boring, and everyone knows what happened. And besides, it said a 3 year old was tall enough to go on, but the seat thingys didn't even come down to her legs. It was very boring and a waste of time.
    bring back that show/ride at Tommorrowland, I think called the Timekeeper. I don't really remember much, but I remember that once you went in, you were greeted by a robot and a CM would talk to him. And I think there were games and stuff inside it too, but I don't really remember. But I remember liking the attraction A LOT.

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder

to the boards, CaptHook! I hope you enjoy the whole DWT site!

MousekeTodd is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I don't care for the Mickey hand and wand on Spaceship Earth, but I can live with it.

Now, the sorcerer's hat.... Was it added to D/MGM for the 100 Years of Magic celebration? I can understand that it must have cost a lot to fabricate and install, and that each park should have an unquestionable icon (Cinderella's Castle/Spaceship Earth/The Tree of Life), but to block the street's crowning view of the Chinese Theatre is truly sad.

My family's Spring Break '06 trip was our third since the hat was installed, and this time it was obvious to me that it wasn't coming down. With that realization came my disappointment that the original vista was altered.

I believe a past Mouse|Tunes episode mentioned Star Tours could be getting a makeover. If it remains as a screen-based attraction, I look forward to the video being a nice, clean presentation -- perhaps even a digital image. I've noticed the current projection is quite grainy. Since "Revenge of the Sith" was an all-digital production, a technological format update for ST doesn't seem far fetched.

Over at the Magic Kingdom, I saw with much disappointment that the 20,000 Leagues lagoon had been filled-in. Though a long-shot, I had had hopes that Disney would one day decide to bring back the Jules Verne subs. I also thought perhaps they would maintain the lagoon until they had some franchise subject that lent itself to water (Atlantis or Finding Nemo). By the way, I remember seeing a spot (within the last 10 years) in front of either Disneyland's or MK's lagoon that had an Atlantis statue and/or an Atlantian character photo op -- and I don't mean the villains meet and greet queue shelter, so perhaps I saw this at Disneyland.

We watched Mickey's Philharmagic (twice) for the first time this trip: we all enjoyed it. I thought the 3-D effects were great!

I hope that WDW never dismantles The Carousel of Progress, or the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I'm big on the history of Walt and his endeavors, and in my mind, the CoP nearly epitomizes Walt's legacy (nostalgia + progress + animatronics). I never saw "The Swiss Family Robinson" movie until a few years ago, when I purchased it as a Christmas present for my wife. I enjoyed the movie, and now I have an appreciation for the treehouse attraction.

Speaking of appreciation, I believe a couple of pieces of MK could get a bit more appreciation from the observant guest if The Disney Co. promoted some of their movie fare more. What do I mean?

In 2005, Disney issued a DVD release of "Johnny Tremain," about a boy who found himself joining Paul Revere in the colonial fight for independence: The Liberty Tree figured into the storyline. I bought and watched the movie, and was now excited about seeing the Liberty Tree which stands in front of MK's The Hall of Presidents.

I noticed on my '06 trip that the turkey leg (or was it popcorn?) stand in Frontier Land bore a sign that included "Westward Ho" in its name. Though I've never watched "Westward Ho! the Wagons" starring Fess Parker, I gathered that was the sign's inspiration. How many other people have realized this? My point? Please release WHTW on DVD, Disney. Thank you!

And, of course, there's the question of a DVD release of "Song of the South," which serves as inspiration for Splash Mountain.
    Last edited by MousekeTodd; 04-20-2006 at 11:21 PM.

wmxxmsg is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Yeah Song of the South I really want to see Disney release a DVD of. It still amazes me that Disney is so afraid to release it, but one of its most famous rides wouldn't exist without it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast