Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Alien Encounter!! Was it smart to take it away? in the I Remember... forums; I absolutely loved AE and do not think it was there for any decent amount of time. Am not a Stitch fan so was very disappointed when this replaced AE. ...
    gembob is offline A-Ticket holder
    I absolutely loved AE and do not think it was there for any decent amount of time. Am not a Stitch fan so was very disappointed when this replaced AE. I gave it a go though and was not at all impressed.

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennings View Post
    I never actually never went on AE but do regret it, after going on Stitch's Great Mistake. It took one ride for me to figure out that Disney had made a huge mistake. I would understand that they would want to put a more kid friendly ride, but SGE is downright disgusting. If they were gonna replace AE at all, they should have repolaced it with a better ride.
    No, SGE is not a "mistake" or disgusting at all.

The majority of WDW's guests (the non-Internet fanboy types) enjoy it.

Stop bashing Kevin Rafferty's work and get used to change, please.

Jeez, this site is becoming more and more like all those other anti-Disney sites out there (MiceAge, WDWMagic, Laughingplace.com, the Epcot Central and Re-Imagineering blogs, etc.) every day.
    Last edited by KINGCRAB; 01-03-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGCRAB View Post

Jeez, this site is becoming more and more like all those other anti-Disney sites out there (MiceAge, WDWMagic, Laughingplace.com, the Epcot Central and Re-Imagineering blogs, etc.) every day.
    Look, you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. I would prefer next time you not point me out and blatantly challenge my taste in rides.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    AE was fine but severely suffered from misplacement. I believe that if it was built at MGM with an "Aliens" movie theme, it would still be there and quite popular
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    AE was fine but severely suffered from misplacement. I believe that if it was built at MGM with an "Aliens" movie theme, it would still be there and quite popular
    Excellent point. AE would've been a way more appropriate fit for DHS than the MK.
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Translation: "Shut up and like it now!"

DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Me - I didn't like AE,

I don't mind a frightening attraction, but I didn't find it enjoyable. I like the fact that Disney pushed the envelope, but they won't hit a home run with everyone and they didn't with me. I haven't seen SGE.

Dan at
    DisneyHomeVideo

ImWDWDreamin is offline A-Ticket holder
    My very first trip in 1998 !! I remember this attraction and LOVED it.. I was sad when i heard it was gone... I wanted my lil boy to try it out.. guess not..lol
    You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I loved AE. It was so different from everything else and it absolutely terrified you right to the very core.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Wish I could have seen AE, never tried it.

I liked Mission to Mars- pretty neat stuff.

I don't care for SGE. Back in '06 it made my kid cry.

S.I.R. is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hello, weary Disney fans. You may call me SIR.

I actually remember the first time Alien Encounter opened. I was 6 and was just tall enough to go on. My dad actually was one of the first test subjects during the soft opening (when TOM2000, voiced by Phil Hartman was still there), so of course, my dad dragged me in. However, by the time the pre-show ended, with Skippy burnt and disappeared by the sadistic S.I.R., I was screaming to leave. Ironic, ain't it?

However, when I was 9, I tried again and this time, I went on the whole ride and loved it. Every year when I went, my family went on Alien Encounter. It was one of my favorite rides, because of its great storyline, amazing special effects, and it is one of the few things that scared me. So, I was a little disappointed when they announced it was closing and I would not see Skippy, S.I.R. or the alien again and never "seize the future with X-S." Moving on...

KINGCRAB, I understand your frustration. While I truly loved Alien Encounter, Stitch's Great Escape did have some good points to it. The AA Stitch is one of the best AA's in all Disney parks (and I've seen all of them, so I should know).

However, you should realize that many people hold Alien Encounter in high regard and will throw Stitch aside as a martyr for destroying their memories. LIKE MYSELF!

Stitch's Great Escape had way too much potential that it fell flat on its face. Everything is recycled from Alien Encounter. Skippy's there, S.I.R. is there (what did they do to you, "Sarge"?), everything is there. The only things added are the cannons and the glass doesn't break anymore. The chili dog does get disgusting and the ending is a bit weak. Alien Encounter did at times have no wait, but only early morning and late night. Stitch has no line at all! And the worst part, it still scares kids! I had 5-year-olds crying when they left because they were terrified!

The thing about Alien Encounter to me was that there was something there for older kids, teens and adults. Not everyone who visits Disney is a little kid. Sure, I'll admit it was probably not in the best spot, but it was an escape for people who were sick of small world, Pooh, and Buzz Lightyear. This and the closing of Pleasure Island are among two of the worst decisions that Disney has made lately.

I hope someone in Disney actually reads posts from their guests, and read this: Why not put Alien Encounter in Epcot? Wonders of Life is vacant and would be a great place, next to Mission:SPACE.

Yes, kids left terrified. But did the parents need to take the kid on the ride? NO! There were giant warning signs. "THIS RIDE IS DARK, SCARY, AND SMALL CHILDREN SHOULD NOT RIDE." Many parents at Disney, I have found, take their interests over their kids. Child swap was an option, which my dad did when I left the preshow. It seems that our society blames others for their mistakes at times. Instead of admitting they shouldn't have taken the kids on, they blamed Disney for terrifying them.

As for Stitch, close Stitch's Great Escape. Word is that he's getting a new show that will be HIS, not him in a recycled ride.

Sorry that this post is so long, but I loved Alien Encounter too much to not say what I think. Thank you.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Watch out S.I.R! You are about to invoke the wrath of the royal crustacean. You might have hurt the great kevin rafferty's feelings by not spewing praise about stitch.

lizdarren41 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have never been on Stitch's ride but remember the chest palpatations when going on Alien encounter. Tremendously tense.
    UK Disney Maniacs
    1991 off site
    1993 off site
    1995 Port Orleans
    1997 Carribean Beach
    1999 off site
    Had kids
    2003 off site
    2004 off site
    2006 off site
    2009 Port Orleans in October (yipee!!)

Haha, elvistelth. Don't worry, I think I can take the "wrath". Just need to attack his weak point for massive damage.

Haha, elvis. Somehow, I think I can take the "wrath."

Just remember. Giant enemy crabs: attack its weak point for massive damage.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast