Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Game Room at the Contemporary Hotel in the I Remember... forums; I remember visiting the arcade back in 1986 and setting the high score on the Zaxxon machine. I think that's the only time I ever visited it....
    Brian_WDW74 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I remember visiting the arcade back in 1986 and setting the high score on the Zaxxon machine. I think that's the only time I ever visited it.
    *Brian*

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We only went to the Fiesta Fun Center once in the 1970's. My brother and I loved it and kept beggin our parents to stay at the Contemporary. Although the game room is still the best one of all the resorts, it's not as good as it was back then.

I wonder what changes they will be making when the arcade gets moved to the convention floor when the resort is reconfigured. My kids don't really care for the cards that are now in use for the games because you always end up with an odd amount of credits which is not enough to play a game. It was much easier with the quarters.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

GusGus' Mom is offline A-Ticket holder
    Ah yes, the days when you had to go to an arcade to play video games! I remember it from way back in the day. The shooting gallery was awesome, and am I wrong remembering skeetball there too? The memory plays tricks. I had my caricature done as well, and even though we usually stayed at the Polynesian, we always came over and played games. I remember one night, my dad came into the arcade and pulled me out. Right outside was Chubby Checker, with his entire posse.

Leah

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    ^^
    Holy cow, Chubby Checker! How cool is THAT?

I LOVED the Fiesta Fun Center. I lived at that place. That !@)(#!@ Steeplechase game!! I always seemed to get the horse where the button to make the horse jump didn't work well...the horse was ALWAYS tripping!
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972

135Away is offline A-Ticket holder
    It was a great place to go back in the day when there were not a lot of other attractions.
    We used to visit the Contemporary and Polynesian all the time, as part of the WDW ambience!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    The arcade was truly awesome. It's sad how they seem to downsize or remove the really great amenities. I stayed in the Contemporary a few times in the 80's and remember being in the arcade well after midnight. It was so large it seemed you had the whole place to yourself. I remember the snackbar had good shakes...

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder
    I started going at age 5 in 1977 and we went every couple years up until 1986 and stayed at the contemporary each time. The arcade was part of the whole Disney experience and looking back 1977-86 are like the glory years of arcades. There are games that actually just remind me of being in WDW, like Star Trek (They had the sit-down version), Discs of Tron (They had the stand-up environmental version).. along with Battlezone etc..
    I also remember sitting in the food area where it seemed like the show "Hee-Haw" was always on.. being from the Northeast, this wasn't a "normal" show.. I remember seeing previews for movies like Herbie and Condorman..

Although the arcade is now downsized, it really is a shadow of what it once was... That is more of a function of time outgrowing arcades.. home consoles have evolved to the point where most are content playing really good, involved games on PS3s and XBox360s rather than paying for the 3-4 minute experience of an arcade... I grew up on a c64 and half the fun was when a game came close to the arcade experience.. now playing those games in retro vs. something like MAME... I prefer MAME.. anyway getting a little off-topic... nothing like that shooting gallery!!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Band: Good point about the arcades...I guess in a way they are becoming obsolete. Also, I guess I'm officially old because I have no desire to play the new consoles of today. I tried to play Madden '07 with my nephew and I gave up in 5 minutes...too D*** many buttons!!!

TrueLiz is offline A-Ticket holder
    I stayed at the Contemporary for the first time as a 5-year old kid, and I recall liking the arcade then. When we came back when I was 12, and stayed at the Polynesian, I kept begging my parents to let us take the monorail over to the Contemporary arcade. All the games now seem to be too complicated for me, but I loved the arcade games back then!

whatwasithinkin is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Game Room at the Contemporary Hotel

I remember that place well. I also remember how fast my nice could chew up my money in the games in a few minutes.

Im an early riser and I spent alot of time down there early in the AM while staying at the Contempory while waiting for the snack bar to open for breakfast. I chewed up lots of quarters too.

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder

OK, so along those lines, those of you that spent some "wasted" youth in this arcade.. which are the video games that remind you the most of playing in the Contemporary Arcade?

Here's my list.. I hope it brings back some memories for you as well..

- Rally X
    - Discs of Tron
    - Star Trek (Welcome Aboard Captain)
    - Fat Lady thing where you had to throw the balls in her mouth (PC?)
    - ALWAYS remember the shooting arcade... I believe there was a Wizard..

Stormin Norman is offline A-Ticket holder

I've only went to the Contemporary once, during the GI Joe Convention in 2004. It seemed pretty small to me, but it had a few nice pinball machines.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDznyCamper View Post
    The arcade is still alive and well it is not as big as it used to be but still a fun time.
    No, the big arcade on the bottom floor is not alive and well. they moved it to the 4th floor in a small gift shop. We used to stay at the CR many of trips back in the late 70's and early 80's. The draw to us was the huge gameroom on the first floor and food court. they always had the latest new video games, artist doing caricatures, small theater in the back showing Disney flicks and it was open 24/7. We always stayed in the north garden wings, gone now, and entering the back door and hearing the bang of the air hockey games, was Disney magic to our troop. Our children used to save their money and turn it into rolls of quarters so they could spend hours in there. Same with the Monorail Club and Pueblo Room upstairs. monorail Club was a small bar at the top of the escalators on the right that looked out on Bay Lake and the Pueblo Room and Coconino Cove was where Chef's Mickey is now. Pueblo Room was the best restaurant in the CR. Long gone but not forgotten. We've moved on, we don't care for the changes over the years to the CR, even demolishing the north wing, over 10 stays there has ruined our feelings about the resort. Though change is good, these changes to the CR weren't to us. Those areas gone were the draw for us, but those memories will always stay with us, we do stop in and do the, "do you remember" tributes to the old days.

TheTexasKid is offline A-Ticket holder

Yep. My sister and I stayed at the Contemporary in '84. It was our first visit to Walt Disney World, and we still remember that game room, or The Fiesta Fun Center, as they called it.

And I'll have to ask her about the Pueblo Room. I know we ate at some restaurant, which no longer exists, at the Contemporary. I don't remember much about the restaurant, except I had the prime rib for dinner.

suzanne_g is offline A-Ticket holder

I remember the airhocky tables and all of the games. My brother and I would make a beeline straight for the game room as soon as we checked in the hotel. It was so great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast