Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss What replaced River Country? in the I Remember... forums; Did anything go in its place?...
    brianbkny is offline A-Ticket holder

What replaced River Country?

Did anything go in its place?

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    No, I think it is still there actually
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

brianbkny is offline A-Ticket holder
    Not in operation though?

It would be awesome to explore an abandoned park or ride.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    It is still at Fort Wilderness but no longer in operation, too bad it was a great place.
    Maggie

King Tryton is offline What time does the 3 o'clock parade start?
    You can still walk along the lake on the wooden path. It has some fallen trees from last years storms so tread carefully.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    It's too bad that River Country was abandoned like that - especially since the pool at Fort Wilderness is so lame.

I understand about all the problems with bacteria in the water at RC, but there must be some way to wall off where the water comes from Bay Lake, drain RC, install a gunnite pool surface and reopen RC as the pool for Fort Wilderness.

We always loved this water park and I can still remember how cool everyone thought it was when it opened way back in 1976! This was the best water park for people with younger kids because there were no "extreme" slides there.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I hear rumors that they want to redo it with another water park someday, but I have only been once when I was really little so I don't remember much. I'd love to go walk by the path though!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2
    It's too bad that River Country was abandoned like that - especially since the pool at Fort Wilderness is so lame.

I understand about all the problems with bacteria in the water at RC, but there must be some way to wall off where the water comes from Bay Lake, drain RC, install a gunnite pool surface and reopen RC as the pool for Fort Wilderness.

We always loved this water park and I can still remember how cool everyone thought it was when it opened way back in 1976! This was the best water park for people with younger kids because there were no "extreme" slides there.
    I think they did install a filtration system some time ago and reopened it for a few summers. As far as opening it for FW I'm all with you on that, all the other resorts have great pools with slides and FW just has plain pools.
    Maggie

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    wdw4us2 said
    Actually the swimming portion of the "lake" is seperate and can be filtered as post #8 here says. The popularity of the other water parks is what did River Country in
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Although it is seperated,What I heard is that it is seperated by some kind of a bladder rather than something like a concrete wall so, the reprots that there may have been some kind of contamination that may have been entering from the lake make me wonder if that bladder has a leak. Or course if they have actully drained the "swimming hole" portion adjacent to the lake, that would show that either there was no leak or they fixed it, and if it's closed permanantly why bother to fix it. As to building another water park in the same location one of the things that goes against that is the parking situation, if you were going to River Country you had to park at the front of Fort Wilderness and take the bas back to RC. When Disney didn't have any other parks that didn't strike people as much of an impediment, but if you have three water parks to choose from why go through that extra hassle? That said I'd love to see this area re-habbed and used as a special pool just for folks satying at the resort, no extra admission equired if you stay on-site. Unfortunatly since each resort is run as its own "profit center" there would likely be resistance to this idea, I just doubt that it would get pushed through. Though as long as I'm dreaming let me solve the transit issue too build a new steam RR in the style of the old FT. Wilderness RR that would run from the TTC (downstairs from the monorails or on an adjacent trestle that would elevate it over the busses) to the Fort Wilderness Entrance with additional stops at The Wilderness Lodge, River Contry (a trestle through the re-built park would be nice), and Trails End. Yes it's unrealistic, yes I love to dream!

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by skiyalater View Post
    No, I think it is still there actually
    im also from Ma....go red sox!

sf3983 is offline A-Ticket holder
    does anyone know if they are going to finish construction on pop century's 10's 20's etc.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    There's another thread about that topic under the title Disney's Legendary Years.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm hoping to do a little walking around in there when I'm there next week. I've heard that some of it is not sectioned off by fences and you can see parts of it.
    ~Ashleigh

wdweric is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: What replaced River Country?

That would be cool to build a train from the TTC to WL and FW! Good Idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast