Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss MGM Backstage Lot Tour The things I miss in the I Remember... forums; I miss the Backlot tour when they used to do a blue screen thing with Honey I shrunk the kids and when the tour included seeing houses and what seemd ...
    HrCollectibles is offline A-Ticket holder

MGM Backstage Lot Tour The things I miss

I miss the Backlot tour when they used to do a blue screen thing with Honey I shrunk the kids and when the tour included seeing houses and what seemd to be a lot more props.
    George

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Originally there was a LOT more to the backlot tour - if I remember correctly it used to be over an hour long! After the water tank they walked you past windows looking into real (and occasionally active) soundstages and production facilities, among other things, and a short green-screen segment involving riding a giant bee from Honey I Shrunk the Kids. (something that was in direct competition with that other studio's park riding a bicycle with E.T.). Also you got to see props and sets from films - I remember sets from 101 Dalmatians with Glenn Close, and the subway car from Speed were there at one time. And then you got on the trams, through the boneyard, went through Catastrophe Canyon, and down residential street and drove around the square at the end of the city street - city hall was from Back to the Future, and there was a replica of the arch from NYC.

They broke the tour into 2 parts sometime before 1996 - The Backstage Studio Tour (25 minute tram ride) and Inside The Magic Special Effects and Production Tour (40 min. including water tank, giant bee, soundstages, and the Bette Midler short film "The Lottery", concluding with a walk-through of the interior sets from the film.

Of course, now it is much shorter and residential street is demolished. The water tank is still fun, though, especially if you get picked to act!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

dolbyman is offline D-Ticket Holder
    recently martin revoked the film "the lottery" so you can see that fine movie all over again ..

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Ok I'm bringing this thread back cause I have a question. Does anyone have the details/photos on Residential Street from the Backlot Tour? It's been so long, I forget whose homes they had ( I remember the Golden Girls home but that's it) Also, any pics/details from the old Backstage pass part of MGM? Like when they had Home Improvement. Any photos at all would be appreciated from any of the old attractions. Also curious if they're using the studios to film anything at this time.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea I would love to see pictures of residential street as well. Particulrly at Christmas Time. My wife said they decorated all the houses for christmas and let you walk around them. Would love to hear more details about this and see pictures if anybody has them.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I miss Roger Rabbit!!!!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I have a ton of pictures somewhere of all of the backlot tour houses etc. I just have to find them and get them scanned. It's sad that all that is gone to have a stunt show instead. I love the show but... come on Disney has a LOT of land left....
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i saw them doing some run through or practice of the mickey mouse club when we walked through...awh Justin Timberlake....
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I know....I wish they would have kept the houses and continued to add props to the boneyard
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    i would love to see some pics of this...the backlot is one of my fav attractions at the studios and I can only vaguely remember the homes they had there
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

bowlingman7 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I miss the backlot tour. I remember seeing the robot (#5) from the short circuit movies, then there was that huge silver space ship in the boneyard, I forget that movie though. One of the houses on the street was also used for Empty Nest if I recall correctly.
    If we can dream it, we can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingman7 View Post
    then there was that huge silver space ship in the boneyard, I forget that movie though
    Flight of the Navigator! :-)

It was still there when we went in June I think (?).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestr034 View Post
    Yea I would love to see pictures of residential street as well. Particulrly at Christmas Time. My wife said they decorated all the houses for christmas and let you walk around them. Would love to hear more details about this and see pictures if anybody has them.

Your wife is correct, Residential Street is where the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights was first premiered. It was moved to The Streets of America (New York Street to us old school people) when Res street was demolished to make way for Lights Motors Action.

There used to be a lighting ceremony at dusk with a family in the park, then the barricades were removed and the guests were allowed to walk down Res street and around the loop where the loading area is for the Backlot Tour and back onto New York Street. We had several audio zones with different music playing.

There were 7 houses and a dive tank (for water filming).

The in-house names for them were:

1. The Empty Nest House used for some exterior shots on same sit-com
    2. Ths Splash House (used in the little known and little liked sequel to Splash)
    3. The Herbie House ( a low one story brick house with curving drive that originally had Herbie parked in the driveway and he would roll out to meet the trams)
    4. The Open House (because of the "open house" sign in the lawn, and the tour guide would point out how it had no back, was actaully used in a commercial shoot where a toilet was ejected through the roof, and from personal experience the roof of that house was a great place to watch Shuttle launches at the cape)
    5. The Miami Vice house ( a modern looking white monolith)
    6. The Golden Girls House (actully used for exterior shots on the TV show)
    7. The Family House ( used for Disney Channel show Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and other odd events. It was a blue two story house with toys in the lawn)

Then there was the Church, on the Res Street side it looked like a country church but facing New York Street it resembled the architecture of a Cathedral.

I have pics somewhere...I'll try to put some up, hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by echoscot View Post
    The in-house names for them were:

1. The Empty Nest House used for some exterior shots on same sit-com
    2. Ths Splash House (used in the little known and little liked sequel to Splash)
    3. The Herbie House ( a low one story brick house with curving drive that originally had Herbie parked in the driveway and he would roll out to meet the trams)
    4. The Open House (because of the "open house" sign in the lawn, and the tour guide would point out how it had no back, was actaully used in a commercial shoot where a toilet was ejected through the roof, and from personal experience the roof of that house was a great place to watch Shuttle launches at the cape)
    5. The Miami Vice house ( a modern looking white monolith)
    6. The Golden Girls House (actully used for exterior shots on the TV show)
    7. The Family House ( used for Disney Channel show Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and other odd events. It was a blue two story house with toys in the lawn)
    It's been awhile so I may be dreaming this but wasn't one of these also the Brady Bunch house? I *thought* it was the one with Herbie in the drive but that can't be right because the Brady ouse was 2 stories wasn't it?

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am hoping this works.

Back in 1996 or 1997 we had just finished the installation of the lights on Residential Street and our Stage Manager took this "family" photo. I know you can't see the houses too well, but I think it is a fun photo. I am just left of center with an orange belt around my neck.

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast