Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Skeleidoscope at EPCOT in the I Remember... forums; Does anyone else remember Skeleidscope Over at EPCOT Center on the Lagoon. It Featured Boats and planes. The boats (bad guys) resembled dragons...
    HrCollectibles is offline A-Ticket holder

Skeleidoscope at EPCOT

Does anyone else remember Skeleidscope Over at EPCOT Center on the Lagoon. It Featured Boats and planes. The boats (bad guys) resembled dragons
    George

belfam5 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I remember!!! I think there was hang gliders and colored smoke and streamers? Very cool!

tiggerguy is online now one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by HrCollectibles
    Does anyone else remember Skeleidscope Over at EPCOT Center on the Lagoon. It Featured Boats and planes. The boats (bad guys) resembled dragons

If you are talking about the 20th WDW Anniverary the show was called "Surprise in the Skies"

The "planes" were almost like hang gliders with engines. The finale of the show had giant inflatables of the "Fab Five" show up over the countries.

for a look at the planes:

http://allearsnet.com/tp/ep/e_sky1.htm
    Last edited by tiggerguy; 06-22-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    No, Tiggerguy, that was a different show. I too remember Skylaidoscope fondly! I just posted about it in another thread. It ran in the late 80's and the bad guys piloted boats in the World Showcase Lagoon that looked like dragon heads, which had purple smoke coming from their nostrils. I think it was narrated by the guy who played DreamFinder at Journey into Imagination.
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972

Flounder is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am just watching one of Jeff Lange's DVDs and he covers the complete show on the WS edition. Great stuff - highly recommended - if I'm allowed to say so here

Cheers,
    Flounder

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    You're right - the show played on the Lagoon in the summer of 1987, involved inflatable dragons, boats, etc., but was clearly short-lived.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

marni1971 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Hey all!

Skylidascope was a major production that premiered August 31st 1985. It had 9 aircraft and 51 watercraft. Originally planned for a 3 month run, it ran thru August 1987.

The even more ambitious Surprise in the Skies premiered September 30th 1991. This show featured 6 hang glider towing boats, 8 paraplanes, 6 aqua kites with 72 smaller kites, 55ft high inflatable characters and 850 pyro shells. The showcase audio system was upgraded too, to 75,000 watts out of 140 speakers. Surprise was cut short when an off-site accident involving a paraplane occured.

And yes, Jeff Langes DVD has the only Skylidascope footage I`ve found.

surfingkite is offline A-Ticket holder

surfing kites

Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing