Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Loved "World of Motion" and "Horizons" in the I Remember... forums; On my last visit to Epcot, both "World of Motion" and "Horizons" were gone. How I miss them! "World Of Motion" had that catchy tune "It's Fun To Be Free". ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Loved "World of Motion" and "Horizons"

On my last visit to Epcot, both "World of Motion" and "Horizons" were gone. How I miss them! "World Of Motion" had that catchy tune "It's Fun To Be Free". It told in a clever way the history of transportation. I heard that General Motors forced Disney to demolish "World of Motion" and replace with "Test Track" in order to better advertise GM cars. The demolition of "Horizons" was a shame since it embodied the theme and purpose of EPCOT. It showed how mankind would one day live under the sea, in the desert and had a great future city. Too bad the attraction couldn't be relocated, there's so much space at WDW.

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I miss horizons a lot, i wish they would bring it back and get rid of mission space
    Last edited by Hakuna Matata; 10-09-2006 at 11:01 PM.
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    You know I might have been really small, but I dont ever think I rode either. I'm 18, when were these demolished?
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Sadly, "World of Motion" closed Dec. 31, 1995. GM insisted it be closed; they felt it was too slow and boring and they withdrew sponsorship. "Horizons" closed on Jan. 9, 1999. The original sponsor, GE, withdrew so the pavilion had no sponsor. "Motion" told the story of transportation from the invention of the wheel to the space age and "Horizons" showed the promise of the future. Both pavilions belonged in Epcot and I mourn their demise, I haven't returned to WDW since. Without the Electrical Parade and with so many great pavilions closing; I will travel elsewhere.

andyznuff is offline A-Ticket holder
    My first visit to WDW was in 1985. The memory which stands out the most was ride I was on where you can "choose which way to come back to earth!" I later found out this was called Horizons but was no longer there my next time back at Epcot in 2002. Well, I found a web site called WWW.Extinct-attractions-club.com where you can purchase amatuer as well as pro shot DVD's of this old ride and other extinct disney attractions!!!! I miss Horizons as well as World of Motion but can watch them over and over again on DVD.

Andy in New Jersey, USA.

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I loved both rides as well... my favorite part of Horizons was when you went through the one room and it smelled like fresh oranges... at least I can enjoy this same smell on Soarin now
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Horizons is by far the attraction I miss the most. I loved everything about it. From the oranges, to the theme song, to the absolutely "way off" view of the future... it was fantastic in every way.

There's a lot of mixed details on why Horizons closed. Yes the sponsorship was pulled... but ordinarily that doesn't close a ride at Disney (look at Spaceship Earth, it was without sponsorship for a good while until Seimens came in recently). Horizons did stay open after the sponsorship was pulled but not for long. It then went seasonal which is ultimately the death of any attraction.

There is one part of Horizon's demise that not many people are familiar with however. So many people have questioned why the ride wasn't just updated as was done with SE and CoP. Sure Disney could've gotten another sponsor who probably would've funded it. So why didn't this happen? Years ago I met up with a CM who gave me a little more info. Many folks are aware that the land Walt purchased was swamp/marsh before the parks began construction. Apparently there was a foundation issue when Horizons was built. Slowly, unnoticeably, the rear of the building was sinking. There was no way to correct this so demolision was the only option. Apparently the night before it was closed, they allowed the CMs to ride it one last time with their families... what I wouldn't have gived to be there. *sniff sniff*
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    horizons was my favorite and i cried like a baby when they got rid of it. Mission Space is no where near how good horizons was. They really need to put that back. Remember going through and smelling the oranges!

marni1971 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    All the original EPCOT attractions are available FOR FREE as tribute videos at mousebits.com !

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    You guys are so right. Horizons was THE best attraction there. I was very sad to see it go because as Myron said, It was everything that EPCOT stood for. HEY WAIT! There's strength in numbers, so why don't WE get Disney to build Horizons somewhere else in EPCOT? Sorry, momentary loss of sanity. I don't think Disney would listen to us.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

dolbyman is offline D-Ticket Holder
    tcope has a very nice horizons project running

www.deepwaterstudios.com

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    These two were my favourites in Epcot, along with Spaceship Earth. I have the music for both of them on CD and have tried to explain to Andy what they were like. My brother and I used to fight to press the buttons first to select the final scene - even though it was majority rule!
    I loved these rides because they were simple, educational and not scary. Disney needs more of these - most of the newer rides are roller coaster type things.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    There is a great Yahoo group for Horizons TheHorizonsTribute group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheHor...?yguid=4367585

take a look through thier archives sometimes, there are some great messages including some by imagineer George Mc guiness

Also, theres a page on the old World of Motion on my web site, and it shows some of the items General Motors distributed that were related to the pavilion .
    http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/wdw-sb07.htm

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by dolbyman View Post
    tcope has a very nice horizons project running

www.deepwaterstudios.com
    Finally got a chance to check this out - very cool! Thanks for posting!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe