Your Walt Disney World Information Station
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Why Did Submarine Voyage Close? in the I Remember... forums; I used to enjoy the "Submarine Voyage" AKA ""20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". I read that it closed because the ride was always breaking down. Is that the real reason? ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Why Did Submarine Voyage Close?

I used to enjoy the "Submarine Voyage" AKA ""20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". I read that it closed because the ride was always breaking down. Is that the real reason? Also, what ever happened to those subs?

you should ask 20k just give him a pm
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    There were lots of rumors why the subs were closed: slow load/unload time, maintenance issues, unable to make them ADA compliant, leaks from the lagoon flooding the costume dept. (which is in the utilidors). You can read Lou's trivia on it here: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/tri...nt_extinct.php

As for what happened to the subs, most of them can be seen here: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...a%7cflorida%7c in the bottom right corner.

One (or two?) of them was sunk off Castaway Cay for guests to see while snorkeling.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

914doof is offline A-Ticket holder
    the biggest reason was the maintanance issues to refurbish the subs. to upgrade the a/c systems make them ADA accessible, and generals repairs,this would have cost appx 1 million per sub. that alone was a major factor.

doof

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I remember riding 20K but not much, I think I remember a mermaid and a giant octopus and that's it...

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    If you want to know the complete history of 20K Leagues and what happened to it, check out this link:

http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/20k.htm
    Lisa

"No capes!"