Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Remembering River Country in the I Remember... forums; does anyone have any satellite pics of river country, ive never been there and im trying to figure out where it was, somewhere in the bay lake- seven seas lagoon ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    does anyone have any satellite pics of river country, ive never been there and im trying to figure out where it was, somewhere in the bay lake- seven seas lagoon area right? any aerial photos would be appreciated!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    I miss RC. It was my favorite water park!

Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    does anyone have any satellite pics of river country, ive never been there and im trying to figure out where it was, somewhere in the bay lake- seven seas lagoon area right? any aerial photos would be appreciated!
    RC was located at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.You could see Space MT. from it. It was on the lake
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    River Country was a great water park. I believe it was the first water park in the U.S. when it opened in 1976. I still have a brochure from there and I was fortunate to be able to take my kids there before it closed. This was a good starter water park for kids, because it wasn't as extreme as BB and TL.

There are several reasons why it closed: it needed an extensive (expensive) rehab and there were problems with bacteria in the water. The bacteria problem was due to the fact that the water in the park came from Bay Lake through a filtration system which wasn't enough to keep the bacteria out.

I think they should wall it off from Bay Lake, drain it and put in a pool type bottom like the other two water parks have. That way, Fort Wilderness would finally have a decent pool.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

DS2007 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Right here! Just off I-95 between Jacksonville & Key West
    I agree. I went there (when I was younger) in the early 80's and I still recall having a blast. I think the idea to wall it off [from Bay Lake] and create pool-type bottoms would be an excellent idea!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    When I first read of River Country's closure on the web, Disney stated the reason behind it as being primarily attendance related. There was a message posted on the site that said something along the lines of "River Country has been closed until further notice, and will reopen only when and if attendance at both Walt Disney World's other two theme parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, reach and exceed their maximum capacities for x number of days." Of course, what this roughly translated into was "RC is closed for good, unless we discover that we can't handle that many guests with only two water parks open."

I've also heard the stories, like the ones posted here, of them having problems with the filtration and chlorination of the water, but I believe the "official" reason you would likely get from Disney if you were to ask them directly would be the attendance one.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i went there ALL the time. I miss that. i have a postcard framed! My favorite was the pool with the short slides!
    shannon

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    When I first read of River Country's closure on the web, Disney stated the reason behind it as being primarily attendance related. There was a message posted on the site that said something along the lines of "River Country has been closed until further notice, and will reopen only when and if attendance at both Walt Disney World's other two theme parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, reach and exceed their maximum capacities for x number of days." Of course, what this roughly translated into was "RC is closed for good, unless we discover that we can't handle that many guests with only two water parks open."

I've also heard the stories, like the ones posted here, of them having problems with the filtration and chlorination of the water, but I believe the "official" reason you would likely get from Disney if you were to ask them directly would be the attendance one.
    Of course, that means you also believed Disney when they said they 20K Leagues was closed for refurbishment (Ha!) for over two years and then closed permanently after that.

Or that guests wanted more interaction with the characters so they elimated Early Entry for Character Caravan which went over like a lead balloon.

I have many other of these "official" explanations from Disney . . .
    Lisa

"No capes!"

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    Of course, that means you also believed Disney when they said they 20K Leagues was closed for refurbishment (Ha!) for over two years and then closed permanently after that.

Or that guests wanted more interaction with the characters so they elimated Early Entry for Character Caravan which went over like a lead balloon.

I have many other of these "official" explanations from Disney . . .
    ...I never said I believed that was the reason! I was just stating the "official" reasons behind its closure.

I do, however, believe that its dwindling popularity did play a part in its closure. Since TL and BB had come about, fewer and fewer families were making it as far as Disney's smallest water park on their one-week vacations, and Disney probably just made a business decision. Sure... if it was still a huge source of income for WDW, I think they would have just shelled out the cash to come up with a solution to any problems they might have had with the water, and went on with fat, happy wallets and three water parks. But when you combine dwindling attendance with expensive upgrades, you have to really sit down and consider how worth it the expense is really going to be. "Can we go without fixing it? No? Well then.... let's look at attendance? Will we be able to make our investment back because of it? Will it make us anything beyond that? And how long before it starts to pay off, if ever?"

I think that Disney just decided that the future of the park didn't seem to be worth the cost of fixing whatever problems they had with it, water or whatever... and just scrapped it altogether, putting the River Country budget towards improving or building something else instead.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Quintessence is offline C-Ticket Holder
    EEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!! I loved River Country!!! They had a Dip and Dots stand near by, and those awesome drop off slides, and that giant swingy thing that you could grab on to and then swing out into the water. And you could open you're eyes up underwater and it wouldn't hurt. Also the sand on the bottom was cool. I liked River Country.
    "Is that my voice? Is that my voice?!"

limabeanmom2003 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Those pictures of RC look so sad! It looks terrible just sitting there getting run down. They should do something with that space. I remember going there once in the 80's and once in the 90's. I had a great time there.

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Quote Originally Posted by limabeanmom2003 View Post
    Those pictures of RC look so sad! It looks terrible just sitting there getting run down. They should do something with that space.
    They ARE sad! Especially the one of the broken rock! And of course the drained pools with all the leaves. I would love to explore the closed park right now. It'd be so cool, but sad as well.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Quintessence is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It's so sad going by it on the boats. I think Disney is trying to make us go insane.
    "Is that my voice? Is that my voice?!"

francesn is offline A-Ticket holder
    Our family loved River Country and were very disappointed when we could not go there again. Wish they would open it again.

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    i wish they would open it again too it was so relaxing and much more quited than the other water parks!!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast