Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More Discuss Remembering River Country in the I Remember... forums; I remember going to RC on my very first trip to wdw in 1993. I went on one of the big slides and found it so scary (I was 8 ...
    disney_barbie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I remember going to RC on my very first trip to wdw in 1993. I went on one of the big slides and found it so scary (I was 8 years old!).. and then when i got into the splash pool at the end there were a chain of plastic logs to separate the slides from the main pool. The idea was to swim underneath the logs to exit.. but I didn't want to put my head in the green water! so i was trying to climb over them .... and the CM lifeguard was calling over to me 'please swim under the logs! please swim under the logs!' - eventually my dad swam back to get me and held my hand while we swam under the logs hehe.

that's really my only memory of RC - but it's a family wdw story that always comes up when we talk about past trips!!

disney_barbie xxxx

Jamie is offline A-Ticket holder

River Country

Yep, I remember River Country. We went there once in the 70's but we really didn't care for it that much but it was cool walking around.

Figment1982 is offline A-Ticket holder
    River Country officially closed due to a new Florida state ruling that a public swimming area could not use lake-source water, which of course River Country did. It was not due to failing attendance, although that may have been a factor down the road.

Now you know the truth.

I loved going to River Country. When we went in '94 we stayed at the Contemporary and went over quite a bit (and Discovery Island too). My favorite part was the boom swing - does anyone else remember the in-room shows that used to talk about River Country? The person narrating it had the funniest way of pronouncing it - the "BOOM swing." I still remember it to this day.

Then my dad lost his 12-year old watch somewhere in River Country. We contacted Lost and Found but to no avail. It's probably still laying at the bottom of that algae-infested lake.

Great memories... RIP River Country...

gymrat5 is offline Penny Hardaway 1 cent
    Went there onc back in the 90's. Enjoyed the visit, and the atmosphere of the park. I definitely wouldnt mind goin back again... too bad we cant....
    ~Gym

*DISNEYLAND PASSHOLDER since 1999, attending regularly since 1987*

WDW TRIPS
    '94 - July, off-site
    '96 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '98 - May, For Odyssey of the Mind World Finals: All-Star Sports
    '98 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '00 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '05 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)

*An Orange Lake Country Owner (a RCI timeshare resort)

gymrat5 is offline Penny Hardaway 1 cent
    It was a great place and will def. be missed. I do wish Disney would do something with the land/space and just not let it sit there....
    ~Gym

*DISNEYLAND PASSHOLDER since 1999, attending regularly since 1987*

WDW TRIPS
    '94 - July, off-site
    '96 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '98 - May, For Odyssey of the Mind World Finals: All-Star Sports
    '98 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '00 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '05 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)

*An Orange Lake Country Owner (a RCI timeshare resort)

LordMoeschi is offline A-Ticket holder
    I also remember the great times my familly and i enjoyed each other and RC. Some minutes ago, I wondered how the area looks today so i went hunting for an appropriate areal shot. Here goes .... looking at the image, it hits you how deserted and un.maintained it is. Especially the pools and the beach haven't been subject to a touch up for a loong time. Most definately, the rumors of a revival of RC are far fetched. Still, i think its funny that the parking lot i very populated. Judging other close up pictures i have seen on the forums, my guess is that some of the buildings are still used regularly... I wonder what they might be used for ?!
    Well, see ya - Greetings from Sunny Denmark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LordMoeschi; 05-29-2007 at 03:27 PM.

tomorrowland is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I miss the Lake part of River Country...seeing those pictures really brings back some memories. It's kind of sad seeing the pool empty with chairs in it.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    shinning at the end of everyday!

ash lvs disney is offline A-Ticket holder
    I was so sad when that closed, i loved it. I remember going just before it closed and i was relly young and couldnt swim so i had to wear one of those green life jacket things! My biggest memory of there was seeing goofy slide down the waterfall!

happiest_haunt is offline A-Ticket holder
    Some one was lucky enough to get to go back there recently and take pictures of everything. It's all just sitting there. There's even an innertube floating in the lagoon. It's kinda creepy too. I want to go, but I would be so freaked out.

Oi with the poodles, already!

"This is how it starts. One muppet, Sesame Street in the morning, variety shows late at night. Next thing you know, you're selling your possesions on Main Street to pay for your next Muppet binge"

redbrien is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey Everyone,

I got some weird things I heard during my Castmember days at Disney. River Country was closed in 2001, they actually installed a new filtration system in spring of 2002. It failed to produce the results that the company who sold them the unit. Also some wierd, I had a friend who worked in security and their was a rumor that couple of people were living on Discovery Island. Security found supplies, tents and fire pit that was recently lite. Kinda Cool huh that was in the Winter of 2003.
    2007 Wilderness Lodge
    2007 All Star Music Resort
    2006 Coronado Springs Resort
    2006 Port Orleans River Side
    2006 PoP Century Resort
    2005 Disney Magic (DCL) 7night Western
    2005 Grand Floridian Resort (Honeymoon)
    2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort (Our Porpsal)
    2003 All Star Movies Resort
    1997 2003 (Disney Cast member in Orlando at the Grand)

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I attended an event back in May that was held at River Country. It was actually in the area around where the snack bar/restrooms were. They had a chainlink fence around the park with blackout material through the fence. We couldn't see anything.

It's really a shame that they don't do something with this area. The pool at Ft. Wilderness is the worst resort pool at WDW. There must be some way they could use what's left of River Country to make a decent pool for Ft. Wilderness.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123